Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
New Hunter - need advice >

New Hunter - need advice

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

New Hunter - need advice

Old 08-07-2019, 11:41 AM
Spike

Question New Hunter - need advice

So i am actually 26 years old but i figured this would be a good start because i literally have zero hunting experience. I want to start hunting alone since every time I ask someone else to take me, the schedule doesn't line up or something comes up on their end. so since i am completely new to hunting. where do i start? is there a guide i can read that will tell me everything i need to know from start to finish? I am very savy with guns and what ammo and optics I should be using but finding, skinning, stalking, skinning, and butchering an Elk, or anything for that matter, i have no clue where to start. thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

first off welcome to the site
Next yes 100% there are tons of books and video's on how to hunt about anything that can legally be hunted.
the main things to maybe start with are WHERE and what do you want to hunt?
then read up on some FACTS about these animals and learn there habits, things they eat, places they like to live!
THEN or while doing this, YOU need to find out what rules apply to where your living or plan to hunt
YOU will most likely need to take a hunter safety course before you can legally BUY a hunting license!
when your in MOST Hunter safety classes, there will normally be good instructors that can also help you LEARN how to hunt, HOW to find mentors or fellows willing to take on a new guy and teach them things
I do KNOW for a fact a LOT of older hunters are more willing at time 's than others,( IMO) all the more so, if your willing to hunt with them and HELP them haul a critter out of the woods
Tagging along and learning as you's go
another good idea is go to a local archery shop, local small time gun store and ask about mentors, or any hunting clubs that do hunter safety courses or take on new hunters to help them learn!
there are many ways to learn, a lot will come down to how much effort you wish to put forth'.
I am a fully 100% self taught hunter, grew up in a non hunting family, and taught myself to be a very good hunter that has hunted all over the place very successfully, but I sure did put in a LOT of hours learning , many times by mistakes, but learning none the less!
Also keep in mind, you do NOT need to have every gadget they sell to be a GOOD Hunter, you do NOT need high end expensive things either!
just be safe, pay attention and enjoy it, a KILL isn't the way to judge how well your doing either,
Hunting is NOT like you see on MOST TV shows either, so keep this in mind too!

another idea might be to try and talk to some of your family members, never know who might hunt, or have land you can hunt on too?

last, there are tons of forums like this one with good folks willing to help answer about any question you have, just take them with a grain of salt, not everyone hunts the same way, so advice can vary, yet be good advice at same time!
or just be bad advice too LOL
Old 08-07-2019, 02:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by zachboi
So i am actually 26 years old but i figured this would be a good start because i literally have zero hunting experience. I want to start hunting alone since every time I ask someone else to take me, the schedule doesn't line up or something comes up on their end. so since i am completely new to hunting. where do i start? is there a guide i can read that will tell me everything i need to know from start to finish? I am very savy with guns and what ammo and optics I should be using but finding, skinning, stalking, skinning, and butchering an Elk, or anything for that matter, i have no clue where to start. thanks in advance for any help.
There is no substitute for having a mentor to show a new hunter the ropes. Did you take and pass your hunter education course yet and get your card to purchase a license? Since you want to start at the apex of big game with elk it would probably be a good idea to make your first hunt a guided hunt where you would have an experienced hunter taking you out and showing your the ropes and answering questions. You can read all the books on the market and watch all the "how to" videos but the best teacher is a live one who knows what they are doing. Possibly you would consider a guided deer hunt to start with and work your way up to elk. Most hunters start with small game and work their way up to big game, at least when I started hunting it was that way. It would be unusual for anyone to become an instant successful big game hunter and no book or video can take the place of an experienced mentor. Good luck in your future hunting endeavors.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:26 AM
Spike

Default Thanks for the advice gentleman.

i think I’ll start by doing a required safety course and then doing a guided hunt after I get my license.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

That would be a good plan.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

just keep an open mind on a guided hunt, make sure you talk to any possible outfitters with VERY clear details on what you wish to accomplish
as many outfitters/guides, don't always HUNT how you want to, they do it there way and many are NOT There to TEACH you how to hunt, Heck many dislike having hunters that NEED to be taught to do things.
I know a LOT of outfitters too to know this for a FACT
there NOT all created equal
many are just there to HELP you see the area, and get you in places, and then your ON your own!
some will hold your hand and do everything for you THERE WAY and some don't like this any better!
SO< before booking any hunt, make sure you tell them your goals of the hunt, and try and find one that will teach you things and not just take you to game and have you SHOOT it
you will NOT learn much in a hunt like this IMO

and also, MANY outfitters will be on Private well groomed lands that are highly managed for wildlife, making hunting a LOT more predictable and easier, than hunting on public lands , that you will be on later on
the game on private lands can be a LOT less JUMPY< or elusive, than on lands that are pressured with hunters , like public lands can be!
so, keep an open mind that after hunting with an outfitter, that things will most likely NOT be the same when your hunting alone on public lands!
I would still try and learn ALL you can on things you wish to learn, from reading good books, , that explain to you how and what animals eat, where they sleep and why they sleep there,
spent time in the woods near you learning to find animals, tracks, sign, foods and see how things they ate look, from browsing and just learn there habitats
doesn't have to be in hunting season to learn how to FIND and track animals either
learn how to find animals in off season will BOOST your skill set in hunting season
learn how to find food sources they eat and again, your will learn how to find them in hunting season!

there is NO short cut to learning how to hunt IMO
some things will, speed your process up, and get you kills, but skill take time and effort, the more time you spend in the outdoors LOOKING and learning the better
There are countless hunters that have been hunting for 50+ yrs that will tell you they STILL learn new things
its a never ending game, that only limits are what you place on yourself
just as there are TONS of WAYS to hunt, so, again, make sure you TALK and ask a LOT of questions before hiring any outfitter/guide!
I personally would not go down this road to learn without trying to find a mentor or the likes(or doing it alone, but I am the type of guy that likes to do things myself)

good outfitters are NOT cheap, a elk hunt can be a few grand or MORE, another reason I would do things myself, as that's a LOT of money to get a few days of IF any real training/mentoring, (you could maybe HIRE a local for the YR for this price and get more experience , might not get a KILL but might learn more for the $$) IMO )

so heads up on costs!
Old 08-13-2019, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Join an outdoor gun range and learn how to shoot.

Starting off with a 22 rifle or pistol is good advice. If possible...hire a firearms instructor.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by zachboi
i think I’ll start by doing a required safety course and then doing a guided hunt after I get my license.
That's a good start. Another thing you could do is join a shooting club/range. Go to meetings and get to know some of the guys. You might just be able to pick up a hunting buddy there. As for places to go check you state's game lands for any close to you. They usually give maps of them and what game is available.
Just remember that hunting isn't about killing a animal. That for most true hunters is secondary. Its getting out and enjoying nature. I get just as much enjoyment watching field mice and chipmunks running around where I'm sitting or watching a squirrel doing his acrobatics in a tree top as anything. Now when a target animal comes into view and the adrenaline kicks in and your heart is pounding in your chest and you can feel it pounding in your ears and your breathing quickens that's a feeling you won't soon forget. But you have to learn to control it so you can make a clean ethical shot.
Good luck and remember there is no such thing as a dumb question so ask away.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's been almost 2 years since he posted. Not sure if he'll see this or not.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:03 PM
Spike

There is a site named Zero to hunt which provides a lot of hunting learning materials. Any newbie can take look at there, Happy hunting!