Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
young boys with glasses and guns >

young boys with glasses and guns

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

young boys with glasses and guns

Old 02-17-2022, 12:56 AM
Spike

Lightbulb young boys with glasses and guns

For decades I have seen a disproportionately greater number of bespectacled boys in hunting scenes, whether in books, magazines, TV shows and in film. We are not talking about children in safety glasses at the range here. I can't figure this phenomenon out. Wearing corrective glasses to some might make hunting seem geeky and not "cool". Young boys wearing specs might turn to outdoor sports and mother nature because the glasses make them social outcasts in their peer groups who do city stuff like surfing, hot rods, 10-speed-bike-riding, pinball, skateboarding, pushmobiles, soap box derby and rock and roll music. Is there a better explanation for the higher rate of glasses-wearing in the shooting sports, range safety eyewear notwithstanding? It would seem to me that the glasses-wearers with recreational guns are a smart, intellectual group. Perhaps, campaigns to promote gun rights and hunting should show a lot of people with glasses and who are well-dressed, city-slick-looking, to engender a positive public perception of the shooting world. Motorcycling once suffered from a negative image because of all the greasy, brutish unsophisticated boorish apes associated with it. Do YOU know any doctors, lawyers, scientists, IT geeks and teachers who are recreational shooters and/or hunters?

Below is a picture of me at age 32. Don't the Buddy Holly specs along with the buffalo plaid Pendleton and blaze orange make me look studious as a hunter?
Attached Thumbnails young boys with glasses and guns-96-deer-hunt.jpg  

Last edited by jonmyrlebailey; 02-17-2022 at 04:10 AM.
Old 04-10-2022, 05:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe the fact that more children are wearing glasses is because there eyes are getting bad at an early age playing all those video games, on the computer, and watching TV all the time!
I know when I was a kid waaaayy back when we didn't have all that stuff and the TV only came on at night and we only watched it for an hour or two before bed (except Saturday mornings when we watched cartoons). We were always outside playing with our buddies.
Old 04-10-2022, 10:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jonmyrlebailey
For decades I have seen a disproportionately greater number of bespectacled boys in hunting scenes, whether in books, magazines, TV shows and in film. We are not talking about children in safety glasses at the range here. I can't figure this phenomenon out. Wearing corrective glasses to some might make hunting seem geeky and not "cool". Young boys wearing specs might turn to outdoor sports and mother nature because the glasses make them social outcasts in their peer groups who do city stuff like surfing, hot rods, 10-speed-bike-riding, pinball, skateboarding, pushmobiles, soap box derby and rock and roll music. Is there a better explanation for the higher rate of glasses-wearing in the shooting sports, range safety eyewear notwithstanding? It would seem to me that the glasses-wearers with recreational guns are a smart, intellectual group. Perhaps, campaigns to promote gun rights and hunting should show a lot of people with glasses and who are well-dressed, city-slick-looking, to engender a positive public perception of the shooting world. Motorcycling once suffered from a negative image because of all the greasy, brutish unsophisticated boorish apes associated with it. Do YOU know any doctors, lawyers, scientists, IT geeks and teachers who are recreational shooters and/or hunters?

Below is a picture of me at age 32. Don't the Buddy Holly specs along with the buffalo plaid Pendleton and blaze orange make me look studious as a hunter?
While I do not agree with the premise of your ridiculous post above, even a tiny bit, I think Bronco addressed your question the best way possible. I suspect I am older than you are and when growing up I knew a lot of kids that wore glasses and many of them were athletes and none of them were social outcasts. If no mistaken I believe I remember you posting that photo before as you after killing a deer. Are you saying you look like a geek? Every post from you that I have read is somewhere out in left field1
Old 04-10-2022, 05:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
While I do not agree with the premise of your ridiculous post above, even a tiny bit, I think Bronco addressed your question the best way possible. I suspect I am older than you are and when growing up I knew a lot of kids that wore glasses and many of them were athletes and none of them were social outcasts. If no mistaken I believe I remember you posting that photo before as you after killing a deer. Are you saying you look like a geek? Every post from you that I have read is somewhere out in left field1
Oldtimr being that the pic was taken in '9 and he was 32 years old I have about 10 years on him and I think you have a couple more.
"Blue light" from computer screens and other electronics causes eye strain. Children today are exposed to this light a lot more than us older folks were. They are exposed in school, at home and hand held devices like computer games and cell phones.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

ive worn glasses from junior high school on and still do. ive hunted with them as i need them to clear my vision at distances. better to see what your shooting at then not. in my opinion who really cares what others think of people who wear glasses. if they dont like it that their problem. get over it.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:18 PM
Banned

maybe wear contact lense next time?