Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

new bow

Old 11-01-2003, 08:58 PM

Default new bow

hi i was wondering about taking up bow hunting i diddnt want any thing to power full just something for rabbits and things. just for a bit of fun.
does any one have any ideas, brands, prices etc.
thanks in advance.
Old 11-02-2003, 03:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: new bow

Well i have a hoyt that i bought for about $500 because it came with a package so i say you should get hoyt.I havent gotten any kills with it yet but its all good. I am still new to bowhunting too so as for what type of arrows and such to get. I' ll let the veterans tell you that. BUt i would suggest getting about few dozen of arrows though lol[:-] Keep us posted on what kind of bow you get.

P.S. Hoyt was the best kind for me but you should get whatever type of bow you get, be sure you feel comfortable with it before you buy it.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:16 PM

really just for that all you need is somthing ceap-accurate,and that fits.

life' s short hunt hard
Old 11-09-2003, 11:17 AM

I shoot a Buckmaster G2....and I have to say...it is one of the best bows out there....I' ve killed 2 deer with it and I got it this summer...Look into it...and for 499.00 it is THE BEST BOW YOU CAN GET!!!!!!!....

Old 11-09-2003, 04:12 PM

Workin at a bow store i never thought id say this, but just go to wally world and buy one of the 100$ PSE novas. But, they have plastic cams that will wear out. You can go to a pro shop and buy a nova with metal cams for around 120$, but it doesnt have all the stuff with it. To set up, look at probably another 60$ and up. Let us know what you end up doin.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:32 PM

Here' s my opinion........Get a high quality compound like a Bowtech or something that' s made for deer hunting and stuff, make sure that it fits perfectly, have perfect form, and all that. You gotta be good to hit rabits in just the right spot for a quick, clean kill. And...........I' m guessing if you have any interest in bowhunting, it won' t be long til you want to bowhunt deer........it' s addicting, trust me! Then, you' d be stuck with a cheap wal-mart bow, and you' d have to buy another whole new bow. I' ll tell you I have about $12-1300 worth of stuff in my archery toolbox, arrows, bow accessories, bow.......etc. That' s my hunting bow. ' 02 Bowtech Patriot. My target bow I don' t have much money in because lots of guys gave me stuff for it. That' s how addicting it is.......I work all summer long doing hard farm work to pay for my archery addiction. Everyone at school thinks I' m nuts, because I won' t do anything but shoot my bows and hunt. I don' t care. I' d get a good bow to start with, because I can almost gaurantee you' ll get hooked. Good beginner' s deer hunting bows that are relatively inexpensive are the PSE NOVA and the lower end lineups. PSE bows are good huntin' bows, and fairly cheap, and they' ve been around for quite a while, and they' re working out the problems pretty well now, and have good customer service. I shoot Bowtech for hunting and Martin for spots, and I won' t shoot another PSE. I used to have a Thunderbolt and the limbs cracked. They replaced them pronto Free of Charge, but I lost confidence. They' re good bows, and they' ll take care of you if you' re looking for a good starter' s bow that will take deer right alongside the better bows. Just think it through really well before you buy a bow. Sorry for rambling. I' m a hopelessly addicted to archery guy. Hehe!
Old 11-10-2003, 07:21 PM

I second what Grant said. Also look at Parkers. They dont get as much press as the other companies, but they do make great bows. Definitely dont go out and buy the cheapest thing you can find, but you dont want to spend $800 plus (as Grant and myself are doing) and end up not liking it or being forced out of it by something not under your control. Buy a quality setup in your price range and make sure it fits. If you have any questions about the quality of equipment, post it here and Grant and myself will jump right in and help (just dont listen to him if he starts talking about putting cow banders on ANYTHING!)

Timba
Old 11-10-2003, 08:20 PM

I agree with timbawolf98, parker makes great bows. I own the hunter mag and it shoots excellent, and it wasn' t too pricy. Once you start shooting you will be addicted to bows forever![:-]

-Bowhunter_45
Old 11-10-2003, 08:41 PM

if all u really want to do is shoot rabits get a cheap bow from fleet farm or something. i wouldnt spend too much on it.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:42 PM

I got a Martin Jaguar like 27 in draw ength got a new zebra ZS twist bow string and new cables i put on in early august and have about 270$ in it and it has everything from the stabilizer to the peep everything goto walmart get a release and a couple arrows and shoot it it does have the quiver to its a double cam it was bought new in 99 for like 400 ill sell it for 245 straight up right now nuthing wrong with it tell me if your interested

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.