Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
New Hunter with Questions >

New Hunter with Questions

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

New Hunter with Questions

Old 09-25-2016, 10:37 PM
Spike

Default New Hunter with Questions

Hi I am new to hunting and the forum and have some questions but first I will give you some background information to help you answer them.

I am currently a freshman at East Carolina and I just got into guns a few months ago and shot my first guns a few days ago (2 AR15s and an AK47). I have made up my mind on buying an AR15 and will be getting one in a few weeks. It is a really fun gun to shoot but I also want to put it to use and hunt. I know it is a smaller cartridge but I have been told it should be enough for hogs.

Because of my college schedule, summer is really the only time I have to go hunting so I figured hogs were the best option. I have a lot of friends interested in joining me on a summer trip to go hog hunting but it is pretty much up to me to set it up. I do have one or two experienced hunters joining me but they have only hunted deer I believe. Even so I would really like to avoid using a guide or paying money to hunt on land. I would like to to bag a good amount of hog but not by taking short cuts. I would like to camp and a campsite is fine but really like to have a secluded feel to it and just live off what we brought. I want it to be as much of a camping experience as a hunting experience.

I have done plenty of research and it looks like I will run into a few problems trying to plan my ideal trip.
1. It is hard to find hogs on public land, most is found on private.
2. Public hunting spots are often crowded with hunters and would take away from that wilderness feel I would like to have.
3. Without a guide, we might not really know where to start or where to look. It might not be possible to do this alone, especially traveling to an area we are not familiar with.

All that being said I am fine with this being a learning experience. Coming away with nothing would be far from ideal but doing it with just friends and trying to figure it out would be a rewarding experience in my opinion. I am not set on hunting hog but from what I can tell that is my best option with an AR and only the summer to hunt.

Thanks in advance for any answers, sorry for how long this is or if I have any terms incorrect. I have done tons of research but still lack experience.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:27 PM
Fork Horn

Hog hunting is probably the place to start. Ars are great rifles. As you get into it more you'll probably find you want to add to your gun collection. You really need to connect with a property owner. They know where the hogs are. And are typically more than happy to let a hunter that will respect there property and their directions in. I'd keep posting on these forums for someone in your area to hog hunt with. And look around campus. There about has to be someone there that has property.
Good luck!!!
Keep us updated on your progress
Old 09-26-2016, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

My suggestion is contact local game wardens in area's you like to hunt, they can help direct you to places maybe that have hog issue's and that will increase your odds, and maybe even get you some private land access
as for your first gun being an AR, not a bad gun at all, but not a great hog gun, there are cheaper better options out there
a .223 isn't a great caliber for a hog, too light a bullet and it can travel a LOT farther than you think(as will MOST rifle bullets of center fire calibers, a .223 bullet can travel well over 3+ miles, so be safe)
Make sure you use HUNTING bullets and NOT full metal jacketed bullets for your AR!

hunting is like all things in life, you can half A$$ it and just go as you do, or you can read and study up and become better at it
you get out of things what you put into them

Hog hunting is a good way to get into things
and summer time is a slow time of yr for hunting
deer season is about to start if not already, and well, MOST deer hunters don't really want hog hunters running about on them
it some what ruins there deer hunt?

SO< my advice is, tread lightly if your in a heavy hunted area, week days will always be less crowded than weekends

be safe and MAKE sure anyone you take also know's how to handle a gun safely and has all proper hunting lic and tags!
Old 09-26-2016, 02:14 PM
Spike

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately all my friends with access to private land use it for deer and they don't thing I would find hog there. Iv heard hunting hog in NC is really tough without a dog and I might need to travel further south. Georgia is a good destination and I could make the trip but probably could not find land there that I would not have to pay a lot of money for (we are all broke college kids anyways). I do like the idea of disperse camping on public land and hunting. Being completely secluded would be a cool experience with a few friends but the hogs might be too hard to find. What are your thoughts on this? Hunting on public land is harder but is it doable? I'm looked to spend a little under a week doing this so we do have plenty of time to look for them.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:24 PM
Spike

Thanks mrrb. I will have a friend with a more traditional hunt rifle (not sure what it is but he uses it in deer) in case I am having trouble putting it down with the AR. I am planning this trip over summer break and don't think deer is being hunted then??? I am also fully committed to this (Planning this trip many months ahead of time). I am still concerned about my skill come summer time. I will practice all I can but shot placement with an AR needs to be pretty good but that brings me to another question. Is it wrong for two people to shoot at an animal at the same time? I have never heard of this being done and it seems odd but I would think it also increases your chances of putting it down immediately. I'm not really sure, very new to this.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

2 folks shooting at same animal at same time, isn't un heard of at times, to increase a kill,
but most folks that hunt want the kill to be of there own, and that's why its the more common deal

and its very hard many times to get twp guy on same target at same time and time the triggering at same time

Now as for CAN you kill on public land
since about 70% of hunters tend to hunt public land and kill the higher percentage of animals every yr(on average in most states)
yes it can be done
the main key to all things is being in the right spot at the right time
that can be public or private or?
again, talking to game wardens in area's you wish to hunt is one of the best tools you will have, use it
can be done from where ever you are at
be polite be honest and ask for help
be surprised how much info a warden can offer if you approach it right!
NOT all wardens are as warm to offer help as some, but most are OK folks I think

as for locations of hogs, MANY times Hogs are considered pests, and as such, many land owners might WANT the help to control numbers
But many might be less likely to allow less experienced folks on there lands, due to worries about safety and liability concerns,
some states offer permission to hunt slip/forms, that when a land owner signs and hunter, it relieves the land owner of responsibility if you get hurt
BUT your liable for damages!

I have hunted about 15+ different states on do it yourself hunts, and every one to date has been a success for me, but I plan a lot and do a LOT more research than many are willing to
but as I said, hard work and efforts put forth can have great rewards

and that is mostly up to you

the earlier you start things on planning, the higher your odds IMO, IF you stick with one area and fine tune
also think too, some times paying for access, makes a hunt/kill more likely, if that is the main goal
spending say 500 and going home empty, or paying an extra , say, 200 and having a kill,
some times is worth it to some

hunting is hunting, its a skill, you learn over time and will get better IF you learn s you go and put in time and effort to do so
half A$$ anything and you get what you give
Old 09-26-2016, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

I don't think I'd take a .223/5.56 chambered AR on a hog hunt. Now, if it had a 6.5 Grendel, 30 Remington AR, 450 Bushmaster, or 50 Beowulf upper on it, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Honestly, though, I think you'd be better off with a bolt-action 270, 30-06, or 308, but if your heart is set on an AR-15, go for it.

You're right about deer not being hunted during the summer. Deer seasons run from fall to early winter. In fact, there aren't many seasons open at all from May to August, so the likelihood of disturbing other hunters is almost nonexistent.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:44 AM
Spike

I appreciate all the advice. I am set on trying the AR15 out for myself and will bring a backup gun just in case it is not working out. I think I am going to hunt on public land in Georgia to gain some experience. Maybe with more experience I will come back and seek out private land to hunt on.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

a .223 will kill a hog just fine, you just need to pick your shots and bullets better
and make sure you practice with the hunting bullets to know where point of impact
its just a caliber more prone to deflection in thicker grounds, and a pretty small light bullet for getting into BIG fat think pig's, thus why picking the right bullet is important here and open shots
Old 02-19-2017, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hogs Hunting is not as easy as some think it is like in Texas and a few other States where they are over run with them they are easier to find and Hunt down but in other States where they are as prominent it can be very difficult to get a Hog.We use to be able to Hunt Hogs here in Missouri on Public Land but the MDC put an end to it.I have tried to kill some wild Feral Hogs on Private Land and they are damn smart and pretty much Nocturnal like Deer and have a great nose like a Deer or Coyote that can smell You from very far away.We got 1 shot off at a smaller Pig but missed and I heard several behind me while I was up in a Ladder stand but they didn't come in thru the thick woods where I was set up....I've Deer Hunted for over 40 years and was outsmarted by a Stinking Pig!

If I were You I would ask some locals in the Area You want to Camp & Hunt in if and where they have seen any Hogs and go there and try Your luck.