HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Young Hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/young-hunters-13/)
-   -   Newbie eager to start. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/young-hunters/381677-newbie-eager-start.html)

Eddygp 05-20-2013 01:36 PM

Newbie eager to start.

Hello,
I am a Spaniard eager to learn how to hunt with gun or bow. Nobody in my family, as far as I know, has ever hunted, and the regulations for weapons here in Europe are stricter than those in the US... Does anyone know how should I begin?
Thank you!!
Eddy

Psylocide 05-20-2013 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Eddygp (Post 4058133)
Hello,
I am a Spaniard eager to learn how to hunt with gun or bow. Nobody in my family, as far as I know, has ever hunted, and the regulations for weapons here in Europe are stricter than those in the US... Does anyone know how should I begin?
Thank you!!
Eddy

First place to begin would be to learn the rules and regulations of the area you are planning to hunt.

There should be a website for your Game Fish and Parks or Conservation offices or something to that effect. Learn everything there is to know about the regulations/seasons first.

Next, decide what you would like to hunt mainly and start researching places that you can hunt.

Third, start looking into what kind of weapon you would like to hunt with. Bow/Rifle/Shotgun, etc.

Then start practicing... go to the local gun range or archery club if you have one and start asking around for help. Most people are willing to help someone trying to get into the sport.

Good luck!

Eddygp 05-22-2013 11:21 AM

Hmmm I'm doubting between every one. What are the pros and cons of those?
Bow might be more sport-like and the technical aspects might be interesting.
Rifle allows to hunt larger animals, such as muskoxen (in case I plan a safari in the future, who knows?).
Shotgun is interesting too, because when hunting waterfowl and partridges, for example, one uses shotgun
Thank you for being so welcoming!

Terasec 05-22-2013 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Eddygp (Post 4058497)
Rifle allows to hunt larger animals, such as muskoxen (in case I plan a safari in the future, who knows?).
Shotgun is interesting too, because when hunting waterfowl and partridges, for example, one uses shotgun

whats best for you will depend on your local laws and regulations
in US many take up bow hunting for various reasons,
increased challenge, additional tags, extended seasons, etc....
where you are in EU, have to check laws and regs,
rifles might be stricter and more regulated than shotguns,
hunting is more regulated in EU, but still have lots of oppurtunities
have family in Italy that hunt boar they use shotguns, as i have bit on buckshot on occassion.

pros of rifle/shotgun, higher success rate
cons, limited seasons, more regulations on ownership, transport, etc..

just like US has a hunter ed course requirement,
Eu has similar, that would be my first step, check for local hunter education courses,
also, even before you start hunting, look up lands/woods your allowed to hunt and go out scouting, learn your way around and animals patterns before you set out on a hunt.

Psylocide 05-22-2013 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Eddygp (Post 4058497)

I wouldn't worry so much abuot the pros and cons of each weapon... if you like hunting, you'll end up owning them all.

That said, pick the one that you will have the most opportunity to use. For me, I use my shotguns more than anything else... mostly bird/duck hunting, but rabbits and squirrels get thrown in the mix too.

You don't want to get a rifle just becuase you think you might hunt Musk Ox some day. Pick something that you'll use the most and start there.

Eddygp 05-22-2013 01:28 PM

I've discarded the rifle. I'm finding bow quite versatile and interesting, but in my country the most popular hunts are those of partridges, rabbits, hares and waterfowl and shotgun is used. I'll decide tomorrow and I'll check for regulations, titles needed or any of these requirements.

Psylocide 05-24-2013 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Eddygp (Post 4058551)
I've discarded the rifle. I'm finding bow quite versatile and interesting, but in my country the most popular hunts are those of partridges, rabbits, hares and waterfowl and shotgun is used. I'll decide tomorrow and I'll check for regulations, titles needed or any of these requirements.

A shotgun is probably the best all-around hunting tool out there.

Using a bow for birds of any kind requires special arrowtips and fletching and looks to be extremely difficult.

For a hunter just starting out, you can absolutely not go wrong with a shotgun.

Here, you can use them to hunt birds (including turkey), waterfowl, small game, some big game animals (in some states), etc.

I'm telling you though, if you get the hunting itch, you'll eventually own all three. ;)

Eddygp 05-25-2013 02:51 AM

OK. I'll speak with a friend of mine who has just told me that he hunts to see if I can go with him. He uses a shotgun. I'll try to learn bow too and just hunt with both once I know how to. Looking forward to learning this year!