Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 target archery >

target archery

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

target archery

Old 09-09-2003, 05:27 PM

Default target archery

Any of you shooting target? I want to next year... probably getting a Martin for target only and a Hoyt or Bowtech for hunting and some 3D. What do you shoot?

Timba
Old 09-09-2003, 09:57 PM

Default RE: target archery

Targeter here. 3D is my favorite but indoor is really cool. Spots can really be nerve racking, especially if your doing a game instead of an actual 300 tournement. Like, nockout is when you throw a doller in, shoot, etc untill someone wins. 3D is great for hunting practice, but it can also be totally different. I shoot my legacy all around for most of it but ive a conquest 2 for indoor and some 3D. The legacy i like to use most of the time though because im use to it.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:50 AM

Mind some advise from an older guy?

3-D is great and I highly recommend it for sharpening your hunting skills. Indoor and Field are also very good because they help you perfect your form.

But, please, just do it to have fun. It can get in you and before you know it, you HAVE to win. I' m a 2 time State 3-D Champion, 1 State Field, 1 State Indoor, NFAA Southern Sectional, and 2 time State Aggregate Champion. Indoor ruined me. Because of the mindset that I had that I wanted to win so bad at indoor, that I developed Target Panic. That was in 1999 and I still haven' t gotten over it. It' s so bad, I rarely shoot any more and that just kills me because I loved to shoot.

So please, just have fun, and don' t take it too seriously.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I havent been able to shoot 3-D because of not working again yet so hopefully it' ll be soon. I went out to shoot some rabbits and squirrels but with no luck because of how skitish they all were. I do shoot a Hoyt ZR 200 but only have two arrows left so i haven' t been shooting in about two weeks thus far.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:49 PM

Danny, your so right. When i first started shooting indoor it had to be 298 or better every night, and i made myself do that. Then, i eventually got target panic so bad i dropped into the low 280s and my 3D scores went down big time, and i wasnt having fun anymore. Now, ive gotten rid of my target panic for the most part(still working time to time) and im having more fun becaue its not about winning anymore. Its fun again to go shoot now.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:07 PM

Do yourself a favor....Stick with 1 Bow... that way you are not getting use to one and then try to get use to the other when you change venues... I have a Darton and I use it for all my shooting needs...Paper ,,, 3D and Hunting... But if you can be that versitile then by all means get more than 1...Either way I think that you will LOVE using your bow for more than just hunting....3D is the greatest... I LOVE it...espically outdoor...

HAVE FUN & GOOD SHOOTING[:-][:-][:-]
Old 09-14-2003, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

What do you guys mean by target panic? Are you trying to hard and you torque the bow? Yeah I used to really try and concentrate and my groups would suck, now I just make my self relax and everything is fine. I guess im lucky and the habit wasn' t hard to break.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:02 PM

Basically, it' s a mental side of you that puts way too much pressure on you to hit the target, thus causing you to panic. Literally panic. I shoot fingers and my two versions of the problem are:

1. I freeze off the target with the correct pin, and cannot make that pin cover the target. No matter how hard I try, I can not force the bow up, or down, or sideways to put the correct pin where it needs to be.

2. I line up the pin just fine, but then get the shakes so bad, I can' t get a clean shot. I shoot fingers and I' ve sometime plucked the string like a guitar. .. and worse.

I can draw back the bow without an arrow and hold the correct pin dead steady on the bullseye. But put an arrow on there and knowing I' m going to release? Forget it.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:44 PM

I just got a PSE Beast this July and its awsome and very versital for all sorts of shooting and shooters. It has a 30 to 60 pound draw weight and up to a 29-inch draw length. Its perfect for me!
Old 09-29-2003, 05:32 PM
pup

i do alot of target archery and i agree with danny i have to be careful myself. i went to the ibo world champianship this year and got screwed over due to weather that almost ruined the whole shoot for me but i just had to not think about that and just have fun and i did. i mostly shoot 3d but i plan to do some seriouse indoor shooting this year. i shoot a bowtech pr 40 dually with A SURLOC SIGHT AND DOINKER STAB for target and a hoyt razortec for hunting.

Quick Reply: target archery

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.