HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Young Hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/young-hunters-13/)
-   -   What do you do while on stand? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/young-hunters/333768-what-do-you-do-while-stand.html)

trevorpt 11-09-2010 11:15 AM

What do you do while on stand?

Just curious what you guys/gals do while sitting in your tree stand... in know it can get kinda boring, so what do you do to keep yourself entertained?

Hunting Kuk 11-09-2010 12:24 PM

only thing i do is set in the stand and wait.. every now & than I'll text but not very often mosta the time i got no servous where i hunt

_zink_ 11-09-2010 12:36 PM

I text when i get realy bored.
some times i email my dad who is huntin 100 yards away

Rory/MO 11-09-2010 12:55 PM

I look for deer.

BigBuck95 11-09-2010 02:41 PM

Mainly I look for deer. LOL I can text too usually as long as it is someone that is in the woods about if they're seeing anything or if something is coming towards me from someone else. I don't get how people can read or listen to books/music. It takes away a sense that is so key to hunting: Sight (and sound if your listening to something).
On this playing field, you gotta be sharp as a buck knife, and if you're listening to music, you're about as sharp as a plastic spoon

Big Z 11-09-2010 05:07 PM

Text, music, games, etc

bayou_buckslayer 11-09-2010 05:27 PM

I usually just try to stay warm, look for deer, and text if i have reception. I never eat or listen to music in the stand. idk why i just dont though lol

DDMPrecision 11-09-2010 07:54 PM

My time in the stand is between me and God.
We have our deep talks, listen to the music of the forest, and regain the peace inside myself I lose throughout the week as I tear through work and life in general.
The breeze through the trees is a better symphony than any orchestra on the planet.
The crackle of the leaves, twigs falling, critters moving, it's all part of the experience.
Besides, if you're not completely on your game in the stand, you might miss something, and that something could be the opportunity of a lifetime!
How could you possibly know it's there if your face is plastered to your phone/pda/digital umbilical cord?
DDM

marlin30/30_drabe 11-10-2010 03:16 AM

i text occasionally or i will make death threats to those annoying red squirrals. i also eat if im on a day hunt.i can usually only sit for about 2 1/2-3 hrs before i have to do something that i move around a bit

BigBuck95 11-10-2010 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by marlin30/30_drabe (Post 3719027)
i text occasionally or i will make death threats to those annoying red squirrals.

I am going to find out what a 30-.06 does to a red squirrel at close range. Hit one with a rock last year when I was sitting in a ground blind. FUNNY AS H***.

marlin30/30_drabe 11-10-2010 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by BigBuck95 (Post 3719066)
I am going to find out what a 30-.06 does to a red squirrel at close range. Hit one with a rock last year when I was sitting in a ground blind. FUNNY AS H***.

i got one who lives in a tree near my one of my ground blinds. i want to kill the %$*! so bad. every time im in that blind he tries to climb up my leg of run on sticks on the blind. when i move he barks at me for at least 2min at a time

andy da animal 11-10-2010 12:27 PM

In ilinois we get 2 days, and maybe a morning, so I sit in stand from 5 am to 5 pm. so i have to bring a little snack, usually something like a snickers bar thats out of the wrapper and in a ziplock bag. and a few waters. If I begin to get restless I usually stand up, strech by looking behind the tree my stands attached too, and stand for a few min. I also watch the squirells, and look for any other animals, I have learned where I am at all the squirells and other small animals (raccoon, and possum) will take off or go up a tree shortly before a deer comes around the stand. And i spend ALOT of time with my slug guns sights on squirells that make me think there deers footsteps. last day right before i call it quits for the year i think i guna learn what a 12 ga slug does to a deer.

Bocajnala 11-10-2010 01:22 PM

I watch for deer. Drink my water. Stand up and stretch. I typically don't sit on stand long tho. I do alot of still hunting and walking. I'm not a good sitter.
-Jake

trueagkid 11-10-2010 01:31 PM

I like to whittle stuff with my pocket knife when I am not glassing for deer.

skybuster20ga 11-11-2010 10:31 AM

lol my gawd! how can you kill anything listening to music, carving w/ a knife or texting?! you def. would NOT be killing deer in maine doin those things. im with jake, i doint sit much, i kill all my deer on foot tracking or still hunting.

marlin30/30_drabe 11-11-2010 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by skybuster20ga (Post 3719880)
lol my gawd! how can you kill anything listening to music, carving w/ a knife or texting?! you def. would NOT be killing deer in maine doin those things. im with jake, i doint sit much, i kill all my deer on foot tracking or still hunting.

maine is all big woods so still hunting is the most effective. i can text and still pay attention too

madmax83192 11-11-2010 01:57 PM

I dont hunt in a stand, but sometime i text and listen to my ipod :)

Hunting Kuk 11-11-2010 04:35 PM

last weekend was the last weekend I'll be hunten with my bow till december, so I figured out I can hit a squirrel with a old pieca crap broad head at 15 yard's lol.. I know not that far but I was kinda surprised when I hit it lol, I left it there dad walks up before he even looks at me he was like "What the hell you been doin?!"

garett12 11-11-2010 04:36 PM

Play games on my phone,and text.But I mostly just relax and think about stuff that I need to think out.

skybuster20ga 11-14-2010 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by marlin30/30_drabe (Post 3719986)
maine is all big woods so still hunting is the most effective. i can text and still pay attention too

actually sittin would be more productive but i have no paitance. i go make it happen

monkeyman2269 11-14-2010 04:43 PM

text and dance

andy da animal 11-15-2010 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by monkeyman2269 (Post 3721810)
text and dance

dance while hunting? seriously? thats defenitly the first time i have ever heard that. how can you EVER kill a deer dancing.

sachiko 11-15-2010 09:11 AM

We don't hunt from a stand. We stalk them, sometimes called "still hunting." I don't know why it's called that because you're not still. I can't believe people are doing all these activities while waiting for a deer. How can you hear a deer approaching with earphones or buds on? How do you put away the phone you've been texting on or your gamer device and pick up your gun/bow, without spooking the deer? They're pretty sensitive to movement.

:sheep:
Interesting questions

marlin30/30_drabe 11-15-2010 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by daddyslittlegirl (Post 3722170)
We don't hunt from a stand. We stalk them, sometimes called "still hunting." I don't know why it's called that because you're not still. I can't believe people are doing all these activities while waiting for a deer. How can you hear a deer approaching with earphones or buds on? How do you put away the phone you've been texting on or your gamer device and pick up your gun/bow, without spooking the deer? They're pretty sensitive to movement.

:sheep:
Interesting questions

i dont hunt from a stand that much and if i do i dont text. if im on the ground i hold my bow or gun in one hand and text with the other and just set the phone down when i hear or see deer

andy da animal 11-15-2010 12:46 PM

My question becomes who do you txt? not to seem like a jerk, but who is so important that you gota txt during a hunt? My gf knows when its deer season that she wont hardley see me for 3 days, and we live together. she will hear from me if i get a deer or in an extreame emergency other wise phone is off. Family knows the same so as far as im concerned txting isnt neccissary, but if you can do it, can get a deer, then more power too you.

mossbergman11/OH 11-15-2010 02:24 PM

haha id rather not say what i do alone in my stand :s4::barmy::rock: haha just kidding but mostly look for deer and play around on my phone. if you got a iphone or an android its awesome because theres so much to do. it really makes time go by faster.

monkeyman2269 11-15-2010 02:38 PM

ya man bring a boom box out play some love songs for the rut dance they love that **** come in every time

mossberghunter93 11-15-2010 02:47 PM

Look for deer, wait, watch, listen, text.....

mossberghunter93 11-15-2010 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by skybuster20ga (Post 3721626)
actually sittin would be more productive but i have no paitance. i go make it happen

I wanna go hunting with you up there sky, it sounds BA, I dont got enough land to track em' down here

skybuster20ga 11-15-2010 04:02 PM

lol any time! i took my new wife out veterans day and we hunted half the morning and i knew i had deer in front of us and we were sneakin up a mixed hradwood and hemlock ridge and i spotted a buck and a doe bedded about 110yds away. i could see her back and his horns shinign in the sun, i snorted and it stood up. he had his horns stickin out in front of a beech tree and his azz and stomach was show on the other side of the tree so i whispered to her to tuck it as tight to the beech as she could, i knew it was gonna be a paunch shot but w/ my 350 i knew it would open him up enough to bleed if he didnt drop. the bueaties of the big .35's! she did exactly what i said and i saw him buckle and he trotted slow down over out of sight, which isnt far really cuz maine is thick. he went 40 yds and piled up dead as a door nail. i know some of you are gonna have a fit and say thats not ethical, well i dont care. ive shot 45 deer up here in amine and new hampshire and if you waited for a standing still broad side shot at the shoulder you would hardly ever kill anything. ill post a pic later.

btw, its her first year out and it only took aboiut 4 hours lol. i wouldnt have shot him cuz it was too small this early but what the heck, its a mediocre first buck.

marlin30/30_drabe 11-15-2010 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by andy da animal (Post 3722336)
My question becomes who do you txt? not to seem like a jerk, but who is so important that you gota txt during a hunt? My gf knows when its deer season that she wont hardley see me for 3 days, and we live together. she will hear from me if i get a deer or in an extreame emergency other wise phone is off. Family knows the same so as far as im concerned txting isnt neccissary, but if you can do it, can get a deer, then more power too you.

my buddies who are also deer hunting:s2:

skybuster20ga 11-15-2010 04:17 PM

here is where he dropped.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...0/IMG_1355.jpg

here is kellsi w/ her first deer in my garage
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...0/IMG_1359.jpg

and here is my "gonna be" new hampshire deer......i hope
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...0/IMG_1448.jpg
some snow would be the death of him im almost certain but trackin on bare ground i dont think i cant twist out all his buck tricks.

Bocajnala 11-15-2010 07:16 PM

Sounds like ya'll had a good hunt. I Think I'm gonna flame you for such an un-ethical and horrible shot on a deer, you really are a horrible person! Shooting a deer in the belly with a .350, you oughta be ashamed. There's no way that deer would ever bleed out. It obviously ran into a tree and died, cause it certainly couldn't be from that horribly unethical shot you took!
And you mean to tell me that deer was standing, at 110 yards?? WHat if it had moved???? I only shoot deer that are bedded down, sleeping, and at no more than 58 yards. Come on SKy, show some class.

Tell her nice job! :)
-Jake

skybuster20ga 11-16-2010 03:18 AM

lmao i know i quit

mossberghunter93 11-16-2010 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by monkeyman2269 (Post 3722450)
ya man bring a boom box out play some love songs for the rut dance they love that **** come in every time

Bring out out a case of beer and just park your truck under the stand with the radio, they'll never see ya coming:wink:

Tobe_B 11-18-2010 07:02 AM

I'm lucky enough to live in a place where the deer are plentiful, so if I were to spend time texting or anything like that I would miss way too much. And Sky tell yer girl congrats! My girlfriend shot her first doe on her first trip last weekend with me. Used my brothers .270 and dropped her in her tracks! I'll try and get a picture up here at somepoint.

genesis27:3 11-18-2010 07:52 AM

Sit, wait, and shoot!

BadCompany1 11-19-2010 09:56 PM

I myself sit, look, listen and text the rest of the guys and see how its going. Maybe get my phone out and check weather updates and read some. If Im in my Blind I tend to nap it I get warm enough lol :biggrin:

Centauri 11-21-2010 09:45 AM

I usually text. Sitting in a stand while seeing no deer is boring.

M92 11-21-2010 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by DDMPrecision (Post 3718969)
My time in the stand is between me and God.
We have our deep talks, listen to the music of the forest, and regain the peace inside myself I lose throughout the week as I tear through work and life in general.
The breeze through the trees is a better symphony than any orchestra on the planet.
The crackle of the leaves, twigs falling, critters moving, it's all part of the experience.
Besides, if you're not completely on your game in the stand, you might miss something, and that something could be the opportunity of a lifetime!
How could you possibly know it's there if your face is plastered to your phone/pda/digital umbilical cord?
DDM

Got to agree with ya man. Best response so far.