HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Young Hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/young-hunters-13/)
-   -   speaking of animals (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/young-hunters/290216-speaking-animals.html)

Red Hawk 03-27-2009 12:12 PM

RE: speaking of animals

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

ORIGINAL: Red Hawk

Red Tailed Hawks aren't the biggest, but theyare the most beautiful ones of all the hawk family :)
ya there cool we have lot of them. my friend shoots them becasue they kill his chickens
I must admit, I was little urked when I read this. I don't know if killing red tailed hawk is legal in Ohio or not, but for your friend's sake, he better find out because if it is illegal, he is looking at a major fine, maybe jail time but most likely fine.

sachiko 03-27-2009 12:28 PM

You can use one to hunt with here if you are a licensed falconer and have trained under a licensed falconer. The bird has to be captive bred. Killing or molesting a wild raptor in any way means jail time in Michigan.

Your friend may be tempting fate

Bowtech 360 03-29-2009 04:53 AM

yea I would beat up your friend mossy, thats not cool legal or not, chickens are cheap

mossbergman11/OH 03-29-2009 05:58 AM

Red Tailed Hawks aren't the biggest, but theyare the most beautiful ones of all the hawk family :)
ya there cool we have lot of them. my friend shoots them becasue they kill his chickens
I must admit, I was little urked when I read this. I don't know if killing red tailed hawk is legal in Ohio or not, but for your friend's sake, he better find out because if it is illegal, he is looking at a major fine, maybe jail time but most likely fine.
sky i do eat chickens lol why?

red im not the one shooting them.
he shoots them becasue they kill his livestock that they spend a lot of money on and when the hawk kill them they loose money. i dont see that as a problem becasue they are nuisance on his land. if sonmeone was just shoting them for fun; then that would be a big problem

sachiko 03-29-2009 09:38 AM

sky i do eat chickens lol why?

red im not the one shooting them.
he shoots them becasue they kill his livestock that they spend a lot of money on and when the hawk kill them they loose money. i dont see that as a problem becasue they are nuisance on his land. if sonmeone was just shoting them for fun; then that would be a big problem
Out of curiousity I checked out the Ohio DNR website regarding the Red-Tailed Hawk. It says, and I quote, "These birds are extremely beneficial. It is illegal to kill them."

Your friend needs to wise up.

bowmanaj 03-29-2009 11:14 AM

Yea, you can't kill Red Tail Hawks in Ohio, or a lot of places for that matter. Try asking your friend to not kill them anymore. Can't he use some chicken wire and a little elbow grease and make a coop/pen?

mossbergman11/OH 03-29-2009 01:38 PM

ORIGINAL: bowmanaj

Yea, you can't kill Red Tail Hawks in Ohio, or a lot of places for that matter. Try asking your friend to not kill them anymore. Can't he use some chicken wire and a little elbow grease and make a coop/pen?
well he free ranges them during the day, and thats when they kill them.
they were on vacation one time and when they got back; all 30 of their chickens were dead. so the hawks are a big problem
and i think hes only killed one or 2. he takes pot shots at them with a .22 (i know, another stupid thing) and almost always misses. hes a dumb

Red Hawk 03-29-2009 02:02 PM

I think you are missing the whole point. Whatever reason seems 'right' to your friend, it is illegal and he can get into serious trouble with the law. As your friend, you should tell him what he is doing is illegal.

mossbergman11/OH 03-29-2009 03:59 PM

I think you are missing the whole point. Whatever reason seems 'right' to your friend, it is illegal and he can get into serious trouble with the law. As your friend, you should tell him what he is doing is illegal.
ill talk to him

sachiko 03-29-2009 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: bowmanaj

well he free ranges them during the day, and thats when they kill them.
they were on vacation one time and when they got back; all 30 of their chickens were dead. so the hawks are a big problem
and i think hes only killed one or 2. he takes pot shots at them with a .22 (i know, another stupid thing) and almost always misses. hes a dumb
How does he know they were dead? How does he know they didn't just wander off?

And firing a rifle, even a .22, into the airis an incredibly dangerous thing to do. Where in the world are his parents while this is going on?