Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 antler restrictions >

antler restrictions

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

antler restrictions

Old 12-08-2008, 08:20 AM

Default RE: antler restrictions

ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

Its called shooting a doe? I fully support Antler Restrictions and kind of wish they had them in Ohio. I see way to many people shooting button bucks and little basket rack 4 pointers because its a "buck". We really need to let them grow. Also i think ohio should allow the Deer herd to get a little larger than it already is but thats JMO. The whole argument of "it's ridiculous for the government to tell me what i can and can't shoot" is pretty stupid imo. The government tells us what we can and can't do on a daily basis. They tell us how many deer we are allowed to take and how many of a certain sex, why would antler restrictions be any different?

Andy not to sound like a butthole but theres a simple way to solve the shooting lane problem, CREATE THEM! It's private land, clear some brush and trees, we did that last year before we hunted, yeah it can be quite a bit of work but it's worth it. Rory while your pictures prove your point, i'm guessing that they are the exception to the rule. Like i said above AR's are there to try to allow the deer to grow and stop people from shooting those button bucks and 4 point basket racks. But JMO
So you FULLY support them, but you KIND OF wish you had them??

I agree with Rory's last statement. If you want to shoot a big buck, fine, do it. Put in your time and hopefully you will get it done. What is wrong with shooting a little buck though?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: andy da animal
not t o mention i know a guy i gave several of our deer to because he lost his job and grinds all his own deer and will use it to get him, his wife, and his three young kids thru the winter! how are you going to tell him he wont have any meet in his freezer because the gov says there wasnt a big enough rack on the deer?
Its called shooting a doe? I fully support Antler Restrictions and kind of wish they had them in Ohio. I see way to many people shooting button bucks and little basket rack 4 pointers because its a "buck". We really need to let them grow. Also i think ohio should allow the Deer herd to get a little larger than it already is but thats JMO. The whole argument of "it's ridiculous for the government to tell me what i can and can't shoot" is pretty stupid imo. The government tells us what we can and can't do on a daily basis. They tell us how many deer we are allowed to take and how many of a certain sex, why would antler restrictions be any different?

Andy not to sound like a butthole but theres a simple way to solve the shooting lane problem, CREATE THEM! It's private land, clear some brush and trees, we did that last year before we hunted, yeah it can be quite a bit of work but it's worth it. Rory while your pictures prove your point, i'm guessing that they are the exception to the rule. Like i said above AR's are there to try to allow the deer to grow and stop people from shooting those button bucks and 4 point basket racks. But JMO
AH, i see your points...and now its me trying not to sound like a butthole, but i created all of the shooting lanes i have now...it was alot of work but it was worth it...but the deer come from the neighbors property, to ours...so my ability to make lanes from there is dificult seeing as it isnt our property. as for shoting button bucks...in all honesty...who here has shot a button buck thinking it was a doe? i know i have taken 2...and i didnt even notice the buttons till i went to gut it and say a pair of nuts! as for shooting the 4 pointers, i think that should be the hunters call, it blends in with the gov. statement earlier. you are 100% right the gov. controls alot of what we do already...that is the problem in my opinion! the gov said they would take away assult wepons...and nothing else...now they are trying to take away the .50 and saying this is it...we will leave your guns alone after this...like the said before...California already has banned them! the gov. wants to put chips in our cars and scaners on all roads so if you are speeding the scaners will record the times it takes you to get to each checkpoiint then mail you a ticket...they have WAY to much control over us already! as i said before...i aplaud anyone that wants to pass a 4 pointer or bigger for a better deer...i think thats great...i know i have in years past...but this year it was a "if its brown its down" year. i just think i should be able to take any deer i can take a clean shot on, regardless of size as long as i have a valid permit...after Ar what next? even the does have to be at least 2 years of age? good luck judging that one on the fly as well

as i said my friend...nothing against you...normally i agree with you 100% but this one i just cant. to each his own i guess...the gov puts AR's on then of course i will listen and obey them...just prefer that they dont
Old 12-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

I think most of you guys that don't like them just don't like it because you don't want the government to have power over what you can do. I think the bucks would be bigger, and there would be more older bucks
Old 12-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cookie4

I think most of you guys that don't like them just don't like it because you don't want the government to have power over what you can do. I think the bucks would be bigger, and there would be more older bucks
now keep inmind when i say this i say it as respectfully as i can and that i got nothing against you BUT.....DUH!!!!! of course they would be...thats the point of it...and for everyone that practices tight AR on there properties they have that situation. but not everyone has the luxury to hunt everyday, and pass several deer before seeing that big brouser...and still put meet on the table! if you can afford to and see deer and pass knowing a bigger will show up then i dont think you realize how lucky you are...just ask sky...let him tell ya!
Old 12-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: andy da animal

now keep inmind when i say this i say it as respectfully as i can and that i got nothing against you BUT.....DUH!!!!! of course they would be...thats the point of it...and for everyone that practices tight AR on there properties they have that situation. but not everyone has the luxury to hunt everyday, and pass several deer before seeing that big brouser...and still put meet on the table! if you can afford to and see deer and pass knowing a bigger will show up then i dont think you realize how lucky you are...just ask sky...let him tell ya!
Well i don't know what would happen cuz WV doesn't have them, that's why i said "I think"
But they don't have to shoot the small bucks, does still put meat on the table.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just to stir the pot ,

Who is to say what is right or wrong?

What if shooting any deer you see is the wrong thing,

And passing on small bucks is the right thing?

Its all a matter of opinions....

For ME, the "brown its down" mentality doesnt sit well. Now an exeption would be a first time hunter who has never harvested a deer or somebody who NEEDS to feed thier family. I truthfully believe that passing small bucks and harvesting does is the key to great hunting and larger deer. In the last 2 years, since i have implemented a standard to hunt by, i have passed around 30 bucks. And you all know the caliber of bucks that i have running around because of it (plus genetics and food sources).
Old 12-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

We have done the same thing and we have been seeing larger bucks, but our neighbors still shoot anything they see.
So if teh restrictions were in place i believe that we would be seeing great bucks.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: OKbowhunter20

So you FULLY support them, but you KIND OF wish you had them??

I agree with Rory's last statement. If you want to shoot a big buck, fine, do it. Put in your time and hopefully you will get it done. What is wrong with shooting a little buck though?
Are you really going to argue with me about semantics? Ok fine just to clarify i would FULLY support AR's in Ohio....
Old 12-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

We have done the same thing and we have been seeing larger bucks, but our neighbors still shoot anything they see.
So if teh restrictions were in place i believe that we would be seeing great bucks.
Dude, not everyone follows them. Even when they are the "law"
Old 12-09-2008, 08:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

Just to stir the pot ,

Who is to say what is right or wrong?

What if shooting any deer you see is the wrong thing,

And passing on small bucks is the right thing?

Its all a matter of opinions....

For ME, the "brown its down" mentality doesnt sit well. Now an exeption would be a first time hunter who has never harvested a deer or somebody who NEEDS to feed thier family. I truthfully believe that passing small bucks and harvesting does is the key to great hunting and larger deer. In the last 2 years, since i have implemented a standard to hunt by, i have passed around 30 bucks. And you all know the caliber of bucks that i have running around because of it (plus genetics and food sources).
I know what you mean Caleb. To me, a hunter should take anything that is a "trophy" to them. If that is a small buck, a fat doe, a world record, whatever. As long as it makes them happy and they are proud of it. That is what it's all about.

This is not considering people who are hunting to feed their families of course.

Quick Reply: antler restrictions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.