Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

hanging deer

Old 09-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hanging deer

why would you everNOT gut a deer in the woods imidiatley after recovery? they areway easier to gut when they are on their backs not hung by the head. all i can pictureis SPLAT! then you gotta take care of that mess too. no thanks. and siman is right about skining, its easier when they are hung by their hind legs fo sho. i just dont like the looks of it and i doubt i ever will
Old 09-02-2008, 06:21 PM

i hang by the legs
Old 09-02-2008, 06:59 PM

You might have seen it in my other thread "tricks/funny stories". Where I am in Michigan its about 50/50 by hanging them by the head or two hind legs. Usually we hang them my the head to let them drip out, then when we go to butcher them flip them over so they are upside down
Old 09-03-2008, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

the woods where i hunt is on my uncles tree farm. we have a couple trails running thru there that we can drive the gator through. after one of us gets a deer, we radio in to the cabin and tell either my aunts, or cousins to get the gator and meet us where we tell them to. we load the deer in the gator and drive it up to the hanging station. not sure why we never gutted in the field...just the way they did things before i started hunting. so sky thats a reason ppl, dont always gut it in the field.
as for hanging it by the head, i would rather they hang it by the rack than around the neck. i have seen that a couple times...just hate it. we always hang ours by the legs. we would never have any reason to hang one by the head, but im sure some ppl, where raised by going around the head, so thats what they do. to each his own....no matter our opinions.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:16 AM

If you are going to have the deer mounted ya dont hang it by the head it will damage the cape before you get it to the taxidermist but if not hang them by the head if you hang them by the legs tare and strach the meat
Old 09-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

we always hang our dder by the head and skin it from the neck down. we find if there is any extra fluids in the body cavity still, that they drain out a lot easier

ORIGINAL: skybuster20ga

i noticed in another thread that someone had hung their deer by the head. how many other ppl practice this??? i dont and you never see it in new england. i think its degrading to hang a deer this way. imo. whats everyone elses thoughts. and i dont want the song and dance that
"if your gonna mount it" cuz my brother is a taxidermist and thats a false statement
i dont think the deer really cares how you hang it, we all have to remember now, its dead by the time its hanging, head down or head up. lol

-CC
Old 09-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

why would you everNOT gut a deer in the woods imidiatley after recovery? they areway easier to gut when they are on their backs not hung by the head. all i can pictureis SPLAT! then you gotta take care of that mess too. no thanks. and siman is right about skining, its easier when they are hung by their hind legs fo sho. i just dont like the looks of it and i doubt i ever will

I had shot it about ten minutes before legal shooting light ended. it ran and fell about thirty yards from the truck, so we loaded it up, took it back to the barn and dressed and skinned it there. In a case like that it was just much easier to gut it in the barn not in the woods.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Canadian Chic

we always hang our dder by the head and skin it from the neck down. we find if there is any extra fluids in the body cavity still, that they drain out a lot easier

i noticed in another thread that someone had hung their deer by the head. how many other ppl practice this??? i dont and you never see it in new england. i think its degrading to hang a deer this way. imo. whats everyone elses thoughts. and i dont want the song and dance that
"if your gonna mount it" cuz my brother is a taxidermist and thats a false statement
i dont think the deer really cares how you hang it, we all have to remember now, its dead by the time its hanging, head down or head up. lol

-CC
thats why its called feild dressing then when you hang it up you finish splitting the brisket. all your "fluids" will drain i assure you.

besides, i shoulda known you would hang it by the head being up there in canada lol
Old 09-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jome1

If you are going to have the deer mounted ya dont hang it by the head it will damage the cape before you get it to the taxidermist but if not hang them by the head if you hang them by the legs tare and strach the meat
huh?!?! lmao i dont think so smalls
Old 09-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: andy da animal

the woods where i hunt is on my uncles tree farm. we have a couple trails running thru there that we can drive the gator through. after one of us gets a deer, we radio in to the cabin and tell either my aunts, or cousins to get the gator and meet us where we tell them to. we load the deer in the gator and drive it up to the hanging station. not sure why we never gutted in the field...just the way they did things before i started hunting. so sky thats a reason ppl, dont always gut it in the field.
as for hanging it by the head, i would rather they hang it by the rack than around the neck. i have seen that a couple times...just hate it. we always hang ours by the legs. we would never have any reason to hang one by the head, but im sure some ppl, where raised by going around the head, so thats what they do. to each his own....no matter our opinions.
i supose in other parts of the country its done differnet then what im used to. i wouldnt even want to try to drag a maine buck out w/ out gutting it first. it would way around the 270 280 mark. it would take forever and a day just to hit a logging road that you may or may not be able to get a truck or 4wheeler up. i guess its different strokes for different folks huh!

Quick Reply: hanging deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.