Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 haven trouble with these coyotes >

haven trouble with these coyotes

Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

haven trouble with these coyotes

Old 08-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Spike

Default haven trouble with these coyotes

i went out yote huntin at about daylight right at daylight one started to howl, well he was about three hundred yards off, i finally got him comin, and then two more start headin my way, im huntin on top of a hill, and there is a thicket right below me, and there is a opening about a hundred yards and i could hear them walkin in the thicket they never came in the opening, but at least it was a good experence, if any of you can tell me what im doin wrong please say somethin
Old 08-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: haven trouble with these coyotes

first off coyotes are very smart yet skidish. dont hunt on top of anything when you hunt them...your body will be siluheted (sp) on top ofa hill and they will spot you really easy. try sitting bout ten feet below the top of the hill, and be by sumething to break up your bodys form if possible. secondly if you know where they will more than likely be coming from or where they will be going try to have the sun to your back. thatsa double whammy, you can see much better and they will be looking into the sun making it harder for them to see you.

good luck and good hunting!
Old 08-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

you need to put out somebait and go out and buy a electronic caller and set it up near the bait site. but make sure you leave the bait over night so the yotes' can find it. good luck and be safe
Old 08-05-2008, 12:57 PM

My buddy uses a bucket of KFC Chicken, no joke. He also uses an electronic call, he's been quite successful.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

we hunt coyotes really hard up here all winter long and i bet either (A) the winded you w/ out you realizing it. (B) a "scout" circled you w/ out you knowing it and busted you. that happens alot up here. it took a whilke to figure out thats what was going on untill one night when it was crusty. we could hear the toe nails tapping the crust as he circled. (C) they spied ya and didnt /couldnt tell what you here but were unsure and that held them up. ide def get a decoy if you dont have one. and and elec caller that you can place a ways away fom you and control w/ a remote. put the att. someplace else ya know. good luck!
Old 08-06-2008, 03:00 AM

Coyotes are very hard to hunt. Everyone is giving you the right ideas to try. I have a place i hunt and have a decent success rate at. I have2 large logs about 3/4 way up a hill overlooking a few acre field with some thickets on one side and a creek on the other. The logs are in the shape of a v. The longer one is on the top of me to cover me from anythign coming from behind me and the other is to block anything from seeing me from where my feet are and off to my left where i have to move alot to be able to see. I shoot a 204 Ruger from the prone position. I wear a full ghillie suit and still get busted more often then you think. They see me move my finger to hit the saftey from about 200 yards. If i dont move for the saftry ive had them come all the way to about 20 yards. They can see really well.