Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

My new pet

Old 07-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My new pet

I feed him one hopper once per week.

It all depends on the age of the snake, type of snake, sizeof snakeand what he's feeding it. Mine is still a baby, he's only about 7 months old and about two feet long. Once per month seems a bit scarce, but if his snake is healthy and showing no signs of ill-health or isn't thin then I guess its ok. Every snake I've ever had has eaten once per week, or once every other week at most. Those snakes were the larger carpet pythons ~19 feet in length and were eating two whole chickens at every feeding.

The shedding schedule could be normal, however if its a python or a boa it seems a bit much. Most smaller snakes shed once per month. The nice thing about snakes is that you don't need all of that fancy humidity equipment, just some water poured into a good coconut substrate will suffice. Make sure that the snake is getting enough water and the tank has about 80% humidity with a temp around 70-80 unless it is a desert snake. The true way to know if the snake is healthy is not by how often he is shedding, but by how complete his shed is. If its coming off in chunks or basically just not in one piece than it isn't healthy. The humidity should be increased (again only if not a desert snake), more water offered, and the snake should be taken out and allowed to soak in a bowl of luke-warm water for about 20 minutes or as long as tolerated.

Hope it helps How long has he had the snake?
Old 07-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

i guess hes had it about a year maybe?? i wish i could remeber what kind it was! i poured a cloor for him a couiple saturdays ago and he had it out showin me, from a distance.....but i know he said he feeds it two mice once a month
Old 07-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I've experienced that too with Piranahha's (don't own one, I prefer Cichlids and Bettas :P). They're vicious as all get out when you put something in the tank, but if you look at them, they freak out and hide. Bit odd [8D]
Old 07-25-2008, 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: huntingirl89

I used to feed them deer legs, beef, fish, etc.
deer legs?! how big did those things get?!
Old 07-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

If my wife would let me have a pirana i would. The are so cool. As it is im lucky to get away my 2 oscars. There both albino tigers and realy cool. Ive only just got them though so there still small. Cant wait to start feeding them live fish. I did have a channel cat I used to feed minnows all the time but he died on me [X(]
Old 07-25-2008, 06:50 PM

ORIGINAL: reckling42

ORIGINAL: huntingirl89

I used to feed them deer legs, beef, fish, etc.
deer legs?! how big did those things get?!
The one i have will be about 18" when its fully grown in the aquarium. In the wild they are know to hit 26+"
Old 07-25-2008, 06:52 PM

ORIGINAL: TREEDOG

If my wife would let me have a pirana i would. The are so cool. As it is im lucky to get away my 2 oscars. There both albino tigers and realy cool. Ive only just got them though so there still small. Cant wait to start feeding them live fish. I did have a channel cat I used to feed minnows all the time but he died on me [X(]
Im going to recomend not feedin live fish. They carry alot of diseases. I lost a Oscar i had from that. If you are set on feeding live then try feeder guppies. You will be surprised on what will fit in an oscars mouth. Mine was 4" when it died and was eating 1.5-2" long goldfish feeders. It would swim around for hours with the tail sticking out of its mouth trying to swallow the fish.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear you lost an oscar. I hear they can live 10-15 years. Whats the expantency on your pirahana? Is there anything suitable for a tank mate other than other pirahanas?

Old 07-25-2008, 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: TREEDOG

Sorry to hear you lost an oscar. I hear they can live 10-15 years. Whats the expantency on your pirahana? Is there anything suitable for a tank mate other than other pirahanas?
With this one nothing is a suitable tank mate. Not even other Piranhas. I dont know exactly how long it will live for but they have been known to live for 20+ years in a tank. They grow to about 6" in the first year and then about 1/2" a year after that. So when mine hits 18" it will be about 25 years old.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

What size of a tank is he in? Just curious...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.