HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Young Hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/young-hunters-13/)
-   -   Sort of a sad day yesterday (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/young-hunters/248374-sort-sad-day-yesterday.html)

sachiko 06-05-2008 07:35 AM

Sort of a sad day yesterday

Well on the plus side, the physical plant guy got the podium modified so I can see over it without standing on tiptoes. He was really nice about it. I'm pretty nervous. I hope I don't make a fool of myself. I've lectured to classes, but the thought of speaking to an auditorium full of adults scares me.

Then the principal told us all the graduating seniors were finished and could say goodbye and go home. So I said goodbye to all my teachers. My biology teacher and I violated the no-touching rule and exhanged a hug. He said he wants to be there when I graduate from State. And he said he also wants to be there when I get the doctorate. I think he really means it. I was crying and he was doing everything he could to not cry.

But I'm really excited though, about starting college in the fall. Looks like we're going to have to get a second car. But between my husband, my mom, and my stepdad we've worked it out even if I have another baby. My mom is still ticked because I'm taking Japanese. I think she's more annoyed at herself because I could have learned it while I was growing up. She thinks I should take a language that would be more useful in science, like German or Russian. She's right actually, but it's a personal thing with me.

Sorry, I'm rambling on. People who know me realize that I talk almost constantly unless someone else is talking. So after Saturday evening, I'll be a high school graduate.Yaaaaaay! I'm trying to be not sad.

AmateurHunter44857 06-05-2008 07:32 PM

RE: Sort of a sad day yesterday

Congrats Steph!!! I bet you are full of emotions and i would have been to had i graduated high school. I've actually given college a lot of thought since you and I have chatted about it and i'm signing up next week to take the ACT in September (next date since i didn't register earlier) and hopefully if i get my finances straightened out start college in the Spring at BGSU-Firelands to get my associates degree in criminal justice. Then when if and when i'm able to join the Navy my credits would transfer and i could finish my degree at the Naval Community College. If i can't join i'll take the Police Officer test and iether try to get employed as an officer some where or join Customs and Border Protection as an officer at a port. I know i'd never be able to be fluent in spanish so Border Patrol is out for me.

Centauri 06-05-2008 07:53 PM

Police officer? Just FYI, cops are the most underpaid and under-appreciated jobs in the nation, along with firefighters and teachers. Pay is horrible, and would never last you in this world. And have you noticed cops these days? They aren't here to help, just an annoyance. Sorry if I offended anyone.

And congrats on the graduation! I can't wait to graduate! Then I can join the USAF and bomb the crap out of Iran!

AmateurHunter44857 06-05-2008 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Centauri

Police officer? Just FYI, cops are the most underpaid and under-appreciated jobs in the nation, along with firefighters and teachers. Pay is horrible, and would never last you in this world. And have you noticed cops these days? They aren't here to help, just an annoyance. Sorry if I offended anyone.

And congrats on the graduation! I can't wait to graduate! Then I can join the USAF and bomb the crap out of Iran!
I want to serve my country somehow, if i can't do it in the Navy i'll become an officer. I don't care if i am under appreciated or under-paid and i'm sorry but cops aren't there to be an annoyance, they are there to prevent and solve crimes. I'm sorry you feel that way. By the way how many jobs ARE out there that will provide well enough for a family with the way the economy?

Second how are YOU going to be bombing Iran?

Siman08/OH 06-05-2008 11:21 PM

I agree AH. I plan on attending the police academy in Columbus in a few years.

AmateurHunter44857 06-05-2008 11:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

I agree AH. I plan on attending the police academy in Columbus in a few years.
The Highway Patrol Academy?

Siman08/OH 06-05-2008 11:36 PM

No the police department

AmateurHunter44857 06-05-2008 11:41 PM

No the police department
Ahh ok, i know the Patrol Academy is down there as well. I would like to do the Patrol Academy but i don't live close enough and no way i could afford to live down there while going through the training. I was talking with our former DARE officer and he was telling me that alot of the small to medium departments will higher you with just taking the basic Ohio Peace Officer training and passing the test but said our local department you can't get promoted unless you have atleast an Associates in Criminal Justice.

F3d 06-05-2008 11:43 PM

Congrats! Good luck on that Ph.D.

I don't care if i am under appreciated or under-paid and i'm sorry but cops aren't there to be an annoyance, they are there to prevent and solve crimes. I'm sorry you feel that way. By the way how many jobs ARE out there that will provide well enough for a family with the way the economy?
You're in the wrong state.:D Heck the community colleges here are just $20 a unit. It might even be $15 next year.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/02/pf/r...ex.htm?cnn=yes

But the real nail in Vallejo's coffin was the city's labor costs. Under the current labor agreement, the average police officer walking the beat in Vallejo will be paid $122,000 this year before overtime, according to city documents. An average sergeant will make $151,000; a captain, $231,000. The average firefighter, meanwhile, will bring in $130,000 before overtime.

That's just the salaries, though. The final budget-crusher was the city's pension plan. Thanks to retroactive benefit enhancements approved by the city council in 2000, police officers and firefighters can now retire at age 50 and receive an annual pension equal to 90% of their final pay (assuming 30 years on the job), an amount that gets increased every year to help keep pace with inflation. The old plan had given the workers a pension equal to 60% of their final pay at age 50.

So a Vallejo police sergeant making $150,000 a year can now retire at age 50 and receive an annual pension of $135,000, increased each year for inflation. To put that amount in context, you would need to amass a retirement nest egg equal to about $3.5 million to produce a similar retirement income on your own.
Nurses can get even more in CA.

Siman08/OH 06-05-2008 11:46 PM

ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

No the police department
Ahh ok, i know the Patrol Academy is down there as well. I would like to do the Patrol Academy but i don't live close enough and no way i could afford to live down there while going through the training. I was talking with our former DARE officer and he was telling me that alot of the small to medium departments will higher you with just taking the basic Ohio Peace Officer training and passing the test but said our local department you can't get promoted unless you have atleast an Associates in Criminal Justice.
I dont have all the information yet, a family friend just graduated from it about 4 monthes ago and he loves it. I believe you get paid to train and the criminal justice degree is not required. Im not sure on all the info yet.