Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 Whats your favorite Battle/Assault Rifle? >

Whats your favorite Battle/Assault Rifle?

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Whats your favorite Battle/Assault Rifle?

Old 02-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats your favorite Assault Rifle?

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

ORIGINAL: PAhunter86

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

ORIGINAL: PAhunter86

ORIGINAL: huntingirl89

I hate the AK-47. Check out the way it fires. Sure its got more power... but there's a huge chance that you won't hit what you're aiming at. Almost 78% of our wounded due to gunshot woundsare from STRAY AK bullets, not aimed shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6BpI3xD6h0
The AK-47 isn't that bad of a weapon.
This is coming from someone in the armed forces! Both weapons have their pros and cons.

I still prefer an M16A4 though, just cause it's what I'm used to. My M16 has an ACOG, broomstick grip, PEQ-2, and a flashlight on it. I'm sure they'll find more gadgets to stick on it soon.
I understand. I'm just saying that the 47 isn't completely crap.
And I agreed it wasn't crap[8D]. In close quarters those things are insanely scary.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd still rather stick with the M-16/ M-4. I have a large military family, and most of my friends from highschool are now in the sandbox (Iraq)or in the mountains (Afghanistan). They are soldiers who have actually been up againstthe AK. They aren't even afraid of it. And M-16s don't have half the jamming problems they used to, thats where the foward assist comes in. Most of the jamming issues come in when untrained "professionals" hold onto the magazine and cause a double-feed. Easy to tap out if you know what you're doing. Thats what the dust cover is for. Stove-pipe jams are going to happen if you don't have everything properly lubed up or failed to clean your ammunition, which can be difficult if you are in the heat, but again, easy quick fix that takes fractions of a second if you know what you're doing.

I do have to hand it to the AK with being virtually indestructable, but its pretty useless at anything except point-blank range. Also, they have a nasty little habit of catching on fire if on full-auto for too long. Poor cooling mechanism in the foward grip. Also they're just ugly.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

i think ak's look pretty cool myself... i honestly think that m-16's are the best right now, but they wont last forever, i think bullpup design'll be next big thing.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh god don't even get me started on the bullpup. Yes yes, wave of the future and all... but the British design is just god awful! Their soldiers don't look the least bit comfortable shooting it. I just can't imagine anything fitting more comfortably in my hands than a good stock, and that my friend is not a good stock. I'm warming up to it slowly, but its been a tough one.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntingirl89

I'd still rather stick with the M-16/ M-4. I have a large military family, and most of my friends from highschool are now in the sandbox (Iraq)or in the mountains (Afghanistan). They are soldiers who have actually been up againstthe AK. They aren't even afraid of it. And M-16s don't have half the jamming problems they used to, thats where the foward assist comes in. Most of the jamming issues come in when untrained "professionals" hold onto the magazine and cause a double-feed. Easy to tap out if you know what you're doing. Thats what the dust cover is for. Stove-pipe jams are going to happen if you don't have everything properly lubed up or failed to clean your ammunition, which can be difficult if you are in the heat, but again, easy quick fix that takes fractions of a second if you know what you're doing.

I do have to hand it to the AK with being virtually indestructable, but its pretty useless at anything except point-blank range. Also, they have a nasty little habit of catching on fire if on full-auto for too long. Poor cooling mechanism in the foward grip. Also they're just ugly.
Like I said, both have ups and downs. As for the way a gun looks, it's not really a big deal for me. I'm not a huge fan of the AK, I just don't like the M-16. Although, I do like the D-Tech varmint rifles. So expensive!

Old 02-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

But on a serious note people, this is my favorite assault rifle:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XkxlrrISPro
Old 02-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

That one I can definetly agree on
Old 02-08-2008, 08:06 PM

Well if we are going big weapons i'd have to say the Quad .50's are my favorite tied with the mini-gun
Old 02-08-2008, 08:09 PM

oooh a debate on assault rifles.... I cant resist

Well first off, While the M1-Garand and the M-14 were great and famous rifles they were NOT assualt rifles, they are instead defined as Battle Rifles. A true assault rifle needs to have a pistol grip and an external magazine and tend to have a select fire option. Historically, the First official Assault Weapon/rifle was the Italian Rigotti which surfaced in at the turn of the twentieth century but the first truely recognized Assault Rifle was the Sturmgewehr which was produced in 1944 in Nazi Germany.
sorry but those great beautiful M1 designed rifles arent contenders... youll have to pick again!

as for them-16/Ak-47 debate... that debate has been raging for longer than many of us have been alive. There are several design differences between the two and each has there strong suits.
Design:
The AK-47was made to bea durable hand held machine gun while theM-16 was designed to have fewer moving parts (Direct Gas Impringment) and be a light weight rifle.
Pros= Ak is more rugged and durable with high rate ofpowerful fire
the M-16 is more accurate and more versatile, and lighter with light recoil.
Cons= Ak is inaccurate
M-16 requires relatively high levels of maintenance
Ammunition:
Ak-47 has a 7.62x39mm round which was designed to be used in close engagement distances within 250 meters. Even at that range the round has Horrible Ballistic Characteristics. While it is powerful, it is inaccurate and its recoil requires a strong operator to ensure moderate accuracy. But as our military friend has stated, this makes the AK-47 and 74 very deadly in Close Quarters Battle.

The M16 originally was designed by Stoner as the AR-10 in .308. They opted to use the 5.56mm cartridge which while it had less stopping power it was lighter to carry in large amounts, had a flatter trajectory and a higher velocity.A skilled marinewith iron sights and accurately and repeatedly hit a target at 400+ meters with only iron sights. with optics you canhit targetsout past600 meters. At that range the bullet is not very effective but still enough to wound a target. The 5.56 was designed to be used against a conventional army that would send more people to tend to a fallen comrade and assist him of the battlefield.

watch this for visual info: http://youtube.com/watch?v=j1K2EIrkdcc

both rifles were designedunder different paradigmsand reallyare meant to do different things in different places.Many will be happy to note that there are hybrids in the work that will bring out the best of both the M16 and the Ak47 into one package.
The new Gas Piston Operated M4 (M-468)plateform will combine highest reliablity and highest level of accuracy.
New ammunition like the new6.8 spc if adopted will bridge the gap between the 5.56 and the 7.62.

As for my personal favorite, I had alot of hope the HK XM-8 but it has been cancelled
and while promising the M-468 is too new to know for certain how effective it will be in the field.
MY PICK? I will take the M-4 (14.5"), Irather have accurate control and if that means i have to take care of my gun the so be it.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:15 PM

Go back to the gun forum, no one asked for your opinion!

Quick Reply: Whats your favorite Battle/Assault Rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.