Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 Whats a good rifle for starters? >

Whats a good rifle for starters?

Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Whats a good rifle for starters?

Old 03-29-2011, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

well even if he does wade through swamps just dont use your gun as a wading staff, paddle, club or push pole and it will be fine.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

this is a perfect rifle for you. remmy model 7 chambered in .350 rem mag. will lay about anything down in the world from woodchucks and a 158gr hallow point to cape buffs w/ a 310gr woodleigh. but for hunitng everything inbetween counting coyotes, whitetailes, blackbear, moose or elk the simple 200gr ttsx will be perfect, period!

last years buck, the entrance was back behind the last rib and penitrated all the way up through the body and exited the left front side of his chest. on the run dead right there. barnes bullets at their finest
Old 04-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Spike

First gun I shot with was a .30-30 rifle and I was 12 years old and probably a 100lbs. Then i moved right to a 7mm when I shot my moose and I was 13 then and not much heavier than I was before. As long as it fits right and they are able to control it then anything would work. I know that I have troubles with shooting some guns because my arms aren't long enough so you have to watch for length but other than that there shouldn't be a specific gun to start out with.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Spike

question seems odd you are not really a starter but you asked about a rifle not a caliber so im going to have to say a remmington model 7 or 700 would be my choice preferably a model 7 for the type of hunting i do which is in cover and i do a lot of walking so weight and size matter full size 700 would be nice if your not walking to far and want a longer barrel

the concern you expressed about beating up your rifle my first thought is go synthetic that way you wont worry about beating it up but i for one cant stand synthetic so i would suggest buying a used gun that you wont want to cry when you scratch it or the wood wears from everyday carry

i think its funny people saying you wont beat up your gun hunting, all of my rifles and shotguns that i carry afield have battle scars and worn wood where my hands hold the rifle, i dont throw it at trees or use it as a paddle but any gun you take afield for any amount of time will not look like it did out of the box and if it does maybe you should start hunting harder

if you were looking for a caliber which you never asked but everyone is answering all the choices are viable 25-06 270 280 30-06 are all fine versatile calibers but i would suggest sticking with the 7mm since you already have one you dont need to go out and buy more ammo

find a gun you like and fits you well and designate it as your field gun and years from now you will get enjoyment when your on stand and think about all the scars your gun has and the memorys that go with them remember glass wear is just as important as your gun choice a $1,000 gun with a pos scope doesnt help, figure into your budget and make sure you put the best glass wear on it you can
Old 04-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

I'm with Mikey. The Remington Model 700 is a great gun. I have the full size with the long barrel. I would fight shy of the BDL models though if you are hunting in a climate that can get real cold. I've heard that the teflon coated bolt sticks when it gets down to freezing, especially if there is moisture in the air. I've never had one, mines an ADL, and it may be something that has been fixed on the new models. But for the price of a Remington 700 that is synthetic you just can't go wrong. They aren't the most expensive or the most accurate (meanin tack drivers, cause mines plenty accurate); but with the right shooter you can put them wherever you want them and never have to worry about it missfiring or just plain fallin apart.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

I know he's probably talking a 7mm rem mag, but he didn't say that. Heck I've got a 7mm08 and a 7 x 57, both are 7mm, that being said, they'll do for anything except for the big bears if a person was of a mind to use them for that.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

deer-.243
small game-.22lr
big game-25-06
wingshooting-12ga.remmington870
turkey-12ga. remmington870 sureshot
Old 04-19-2011, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mikey30067
question seems odd you are not really a starter but you asked about a rifle not a caliber so im going to have to say a remmington model 7 or 700 would be my choice preferably a model 7 for the type of hunting i do which is in cover and i do a lot of walking so weight and size matter full size 700 would be nice if your not walking to far and want a longer barrel

the concern you expressed about beating up your rifle my first thought is go synthetic that way you wont worry about beating it up but i for one cant stand synthetic so i would suggest buying a used gun that you wont want to cry when you scratch it or the wood wears from everyday carry

i think its funny people saying you wont beat up your gun hunting, all of my rifles and shotguns that i carry afield have battle scars and worn wood where my hands hold the rifle, i dont throw it at trees or use it as a paddle but any gun you take afield for any amount of time will not look like it did out of the box and if it does maybe you should start hunting harder

if you were looking for a caliber which you never asked but everyone is answering all the choices are viable 25-06 270 280 30-06 are all fine versatile calibers but i would suggest sticking with the 7mm since you already have one you dont need to go out and buy more ammo

find a gun you like and fits you well and designate it as your field gun and years from now you will get enjoyment when your on stand and think about all the scars your gun has and the memorys that go with them remember glass wear is just as important as your gun choice a $1,000 gun with a pos scope doesnt help, figure into your budget and make sure you put the best glass wear on it you can

the top highlight is funny. worn wood i wouldnt consider being beat up. and i wonder if your stock is made out of chocolate instead of wood. or maybe you have sand paper mittens. either way, ive never ever ever seen a gun that has been carried so much that the wood has worn down. the finish...maybe. the bluing, but the wood worn down, i doubt it. not even grand pappys old .32 special has worn wood.

the second highlight is just plain ignorant and proves that some ppl on here wouldnt know the differance between chit and apple sauce if they ate it w/ a spoon

-Brandon
Old 04-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Spike

the top highlight is funny. worn wood i wouldnt consider being beat up. and i wonder if your stock is made out of chocolate instead of wood. or maybe you have sand paper mittens. either way, ive never ever ever seen a gun that has been carried so much that the wood has worn down. the finish...maybe. the bluing, but the wood worn down, i doubt it. not even grand pappys old .32 special has worn wood.

the second highlight is just plain ignorant and proves that some ppl on here wouldnt know the differance between chit and apple sauce if they ate it w/ a spoon

skybuster your correct the wood itself is not worn down but the finish on the forearm and butt stock will diminish with every carry that is what i was referring too (worn-
showing the effects of use, wear, etc.) by that deffinition i personally consider when the finish of the wood is reduced the wood is worn, however thanks for catching my poor choice of words, wouldn't want people reading it and thinking the wood will wear down to a tooth pick by being carried

your second highlight seems ignorant i guess it is all in perspective though but a rifle that has been used for many years should NOT look as it did the day you bought it. but if you consider hunting hard going out once a year for a hour and driving right up to a blind or whatever it is that your gun wont receive any wear and you are hunting hard congrads can you fill me in on how you hunt hard or know someone that hunts hard and doesn't manage to diminish the guns brand new appearance?? i am open to the tactics because myself and i am sure others would like to keep their guns pristine or are you using a spoon full of chit more then you know it? i have never seen a hunting rifle look as it does out of the box once its been used wasn't trying to hurt anyones feelings by the comment to hunt harder so sorry if i ruffled your feathers a bit

i dont understand this. up here in maine is the thickest nastiest crap a man could hunt in w/ every type of terrain and climate imaginable and my rifles still look like they did when they come out of the box. unless you drag it behind you on a leash i wouldnt worry about it "lasting" or getting beat up. your hunting for god sakes not charging through the bushes like a damn elephant. i have a gun in the front seat of my truck year round and its not beat up at all. use the 7 mil and love that sucker! besides, 50 years from now when you grand kids are holding it they will wonder aboput each ding and dent and think about how much game that gun has killed. my 2 cents
wait i thought u said that the rifle will still look like it did out of the box? or are you buying rifles that have dings and dents out of the box?

worn wood i wouldnt consider being beat up. and i wonder if your stock is made out of chocolate instead of wood. or maybe you have sand paper mittens. either way,
seems like i got on your bad side, do you think a chocolate stock would wear even in below freezing temperatures or just when its hot out? either way would make for a nice snack on stand when i get hungry and you would be surprised sand paper mittens give you excellent grip and keep your hands toasty warm

at least we agree that the 7 rem is a nice rifle and barnes makes some great bulllets. i was just trying to help the guy out with a rifle choice. btw your rifle on top of the buck looks great how many years have you had it and what scope is that? i typically use a 760 cambered in .300 savage open sights these days but that looks like a sweet brush gun
Old 04-20-2011, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

my point is, you can hunt hard and still keep your rifles in good shape. ive only had that mod. 7 for 4 or 5 years, when they put the cdl in production in 350 mag. up here in maine is about the toughest hunting you can find in the us from the kind of country you hunt in to actually being able to find a deer ( 1/2 a deer per sq. mile in alot of places) and being self employyed i take most all of november off and some of dec. if i need to dig out the smokepole. i think that classifies as "hunting hard" especially since its all done on foot tracking and still hunting and my rifles arent beat up. nor are my fathers. a small dent here or a press there but thats probably from ridin in the truck more so then hunting w/ it in the field. unless a man falls down or trips over a log then i dont see a reason it would get beat up to much. if a man does trip then hes going to fast to begin w/. either way, happy hunitng.

i have a few 7600's myself and a couple 7400's and 742' all in '06 accept for one .35 whelen carbine 7600 w/ a peep. excellent deer killer. hard to beat a pump up here

Quick Reply: Whats a good rifle for starters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.