" />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 ever find animal bones in the woods? >

ever find animal bones in the woods?

Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

ever find animal bones in the woods?

Old 03-23-2007, 06:43 AM

Default RE: ever find animal bones in the woods?

I have found all srts of bones mainly deer skeleton
Old 03-23-2007, 08:44 PM

Default RE: ever find animal bones in the woods?

2 weeks ago me and my friends found a dead 10 pt. with a real nice rack that looked like it had been killed by coyotes due to the large bite marks on his neck and legs and it looked like it was a fresh killbecause the blood was never even clotted so we just cut off his rack and left the rest for the critters
Old 02-02-2019, 03:45 PM
Spike

Default I found a skull from a deer

Follow me on instagram: nature_art81There you will see many skeletons
Old 02-03-2019, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

over the yrs I have found thousands of dead things in the woods from bears down, for many many yrs, I used to go looking for dead one's folks shot and lost and would find 10-15 a yr in a 2 week time frame
I have found that several places that deer seem to always go to after being shot and then die, mostly old strip mine sections that are very deep and steep walled, where, most folks won't walk down into them to go find a deer, I gather due to NO one wants to drag one out if they did
a shame, but, over the yrs its been a magnet for me finding dead deer, also a LOT of shed antlers too
about 10 yrs back, I came across a section of woods, say a 100 ft x 200 ft area, about 1/4 mile off a old mining road, that I found over 40 deer skulls in
many you could tell were bucks someone cut the antlers off, I did a write up on another forum back then with pic's of them

I never really found a real answer to why, but I think some butcher ( a few in the hunting club's that owned the land this was on)
that I think was dumping the heads out , and maybe some silly critter was carrying them off to where it like to chew on them
as I could not see anyone carrying them that far to dump them, it was NOT a easy spot to get into, never mind carrying that many heads
most all were fairly new, but a few looked to be a few yrs old!

now as for finding dead HUMANS, I have sadly came across 3, one was just hand bones, rest were full body's
and I called the authority's each and every time
I didn't find it fun or funny ANY of the times I found them either!
Old 02-03-2019, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

here is one dead bear I found while late season coyote hunting, I actually thought at first it was alive and just sleeping, I have found MANY bears that were sleeping just on top of snow like this before, as NOT all bears live in dens for the winter!
and me being me, I had to go poke it to see if alive or dead LOL
also found a dead mouse next to bear, that I think had a heart attack when it seen the bear, as it too was dead with NO sigh's of damage, just dead? HAHA!

and then a unlucky fox that had a tree fall on it

and a dead coyote I found, that was missing a front paw, N other wounds on it, I think it got hit by a car(same thinking on the bear, as I looked it over and also, NO bullet holes in hide on it)
Attached Thumbnails  ever find animal bones in the woods?-dead-bear-001.jpg    ever find animal bones in the woods?-dead-bear-011.jpg    ever find animal bones in the woods?-dead-bear-012.jpg    ever find animal bones in the woods?-dead-bear-013.jpg    ever find animal bones in the woods?-buster-300.jpg  

Old 02-03-2019, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

sorry on double of mouse, had one of these in there and some how it just put two of the mouse in??
so here is the fox
these are all I have handy, and for what ever reason this site does;t like me to load pic's it fights me every time and or screws up?

but I have found a LOT of dead things over the yrs and just ODD things while out and about
I once found a air plane propeller, which I always wondered on that one!
Attached Thumbnails  ever find animal bones in the woods?-fox-tree-2.jpg    ever find animal bones in the woods?-fox-tree-1.jpg  
Old 12-31-2019, 11:13 AM
Spike

I have a semi-official gut pile at my place for past 20+ years. It's away from the camp and it's where we discard all the guts and anything else we dump after cleaning an animal. On an average year we dump remains of 3 deer and 15 hogs at this spot so you can find lots of bones around it. Oh yeah, it's also our coyote hunting spot so there are plenty of coyote bones too.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have run onto bones and skeletons in the woods More times than I can remember.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I have run onto bones and skeletons in the woods More times than I can remember.
Yup I agree. Lots of coyote kills around here and there are bones all over the place..
Old 01-20-2020, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I once found a complete skeleton of an 8pt buck while hunting in Ohio. I have found many bones in the West Hunting mule deer and elk.