Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 home made treestands? >

home made treestands?

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

home made treestands?

Old 08-12-2006, 06:45 PM

Default home made treestands?

How do you make a homemade treestand can someone get me directions?
Old 08-12-2006, 08:10 PM

Default RE: home made treestands?

i always used wood or scrap metal
Old 08-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

me 2

Old 08-13-2006, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off you must understand to be very careful while homemade treestands. It is not worth being unsafe with the idea. Make sure everything you use is durable and of good condition.

There are two methods you should really know, and you don't need directions. Make them to your comfort level. If your bigger, make them bigger. If you like them exteremly high, out them high.

You can either make a ladder stand or a hang on stand. The ladder stand are more safe and can last longer depending if you use metal or wood. Hang on stand must have alot of support and changed every few years due to rot. If you choose the hang-on method, I would put the platform on a large branch or something to put some tension on the tree and less on the stand. (DON'T use nails on a homemade treestand)

Hang-on stand (This picture was taken before the metal supports were in place)

Ladder Stand (not a great pic of it)

Old 08-20-2006, 09:41 AM

with the price of metal and including your time its hard to justify, but i still build them. 3/4 of 1/2 tubing i make mine 15ft tall and 24'' wide they are really heavy but will last forever. for the support bar i take the same size tubing and cut strips to weld on top and bottom of both sides and weld it to a pivoting bar with 1'' peices of the tubing welding on the tree end about 4'' from the end to have room for a rachet strap. expanded metal on the seat and foot rest
Old 08-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

i made a hangon treestand in shop class out of angle iron and tubing, what i did was made a rectangle platform and on one of the small sides attached a piece at each corner that were angled toward each other away from the platform like a triangle but they dont touch at the point leave a opening for the tree / \ like that, the big end attaches to the stand then i took two big pieces of angle iron cut them to about 2 inches and drilled a hole in them and attached them to the platform like this _| |_ then i bolted two pieces to them that would be the colums going up to the seat. I welded almost everything and it was pretty stong it worked fine. Sorry if its a little confusing kind of hard to explain. If you have a tree stand just copy the way its made. Just dont sell it.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

dont use homemade standfs
Old 08-27-2006, 09:22 AM

I wouldn't use a home made tree stand. To many things that can go wrong with them and can get you hurt real bad. I feel alto safer in my Summit Viper stand than i would in any homemade stand
Old 08-31-2006, 10:32 AM

anymore pics i'd love to see more
Old 08-31-2006, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

before painting.

Quick Reply: home made treestands?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.