Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 Prom and Graduation Parties >

Prom and Graduation Parties

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Prom and Graduation Parties

Old 06-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Prom and Graduation Parties

I know I'm not your mother, and in many ways, I'm thankful, but here's my yearly reminder about parties.

As a firefighter and an EMT, I feel it is my responsibility to tell you how we feel about scraping you up off of the pavement or dealing with yet another rape victim, alcohol poisoning, or telling your parents that you're in trouble.

Every year since I joined the fire company and started work on the ambulance, we've had unnecessary deaths, rapes, and illnesses occur due to the carelessness of people at prom and graduation parties. There has not yet been a graduating class in my town that hasn't lost somebody to something.

Here I sit in my station on prom night, waiting for that bell to ring. Because I know it will. And I also know that when I leave the station with lights and sirens ablaze, I'll have to face something that didn't have to happen tonight. And it'll probably be somebody I know. I'll have to try my damndest to stop the bleeding, comfort the assault victim, hug the girl who was raped, and cry with the parent who I'll have to tell that their child is never coming home again. The only way to really explain it to ya'll is that it sucks. It just plain sucks. I get angry, and I go home and take it out on my loved ones. After that, I cry and don't know why. Then, when the funeral comes, or I see the boy who has to attend his graduation in a wheel chair and will have no chance of recoverybecause his friends thought it would be cool for him to hang out of the sun roof just before the drunk driver flipped the car, I'm ashamed. Not ashamed of myself, I was only doing my job. I'm ashamed of the teenagers and careless parents out there who knew better.

I know you guys have been told time and time again not to drink and drive. And I hope you guys listen. But a few other things need to be heard too. Don't get in a car with somebody who is clearly intoxicated. I don't care if they aren't the driver. If they're in the car, they're a threat to everybody in that car because teenage drivers are inexperienced even sober. If somebody is intoxicated or under the influence, and they grab the wheel, how is the driver going to recover? What if the person throws up in the car and the driver whips the wheel into on-coming traffic? I've seen in happen before folks. Its no joke.

Girls, I don't care who's at the party. I don't care if your best friend is sitting next to you and you know everybody there. If you're drinking something, soda, water, beer, anything, TAKE IT WITH YOU NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO! If you go to the bathroom, take it with you. Don't set it down and leave it unattended. If you put your drink down and left it alone, then get up and get another one. Trust me, its not like in the movies where the pills fizz and they're immediately detectable by taste. Because I've got news, they're not. I treated a girl who was raped by two of her best guy friends. Even she denied that they could have done such a thing, but the truth is, she didn't remember anyway. Evidence tells otherwise. You also get guys out there who are themselves intoxicated or drugged and will dump the whole bottle of pills in your drink. Yes, it will kill you. Yes, it has happened.

Now I'll tell you some things your parents won't tell you to do:

I ain't stupid, I know some of ya'll drink underage. But you don't have to drink to get drunk. Know your limit. Listen to your body. Eat lots before hand. Get a nice full stomach. That'll slow your body's absorption of the alcohol into your bloodstream. If you start to feel tipsy, cut it out. No guy or girl's dream date is somebody who is throwing up all over themselves and crawling on all fours to try and find the toilet.

If you insist on going to a party, but don't want to drink, you don't have to. If you're experiencing pressure from others and you can't shake it off for fear of not being "one of the guys" or whatever, than just carry around a half-empty glass of beer. You don't have to drink it. Just pretend to take sips every now and then. Even go back to the tap and add a bit, but don't fill the glass. If somebody offers you another beer than just say "Nope, I'm not done with this one yet, but thanks". If they're doing shots, than carry around a half-empty beer bottle and take the shot into your mouth and then spit it back out in the beer bottle while pretending to take a swig as a chaser.

Girls, don't be afraid to defend yourselves if necessary. Drunk men get grabby. Let them know that you won't tolerate it. Sometimes your voice just isn't enough. Go for the gold. You know what I mean. Get to a crowded area, preferably around people you trust, and stay away from Mr. Crab Claws. Chances are he won't remember you the next day anyway.

If you wake up the next morning and find yourself with a heck of a hangover, no magic cure will do it for you. WATER. Lots and lots of water. It'll flush out your system and keep you hydrated as you pray to the porcelain god. Eat toast with just a little bit of butter. Take two advil and go back to bed (try to avoid aspirin which can irritate the stomach further).

Be aware of your surroundings at all times when you're outside, especially near roadways. We've had kids get rundown by drunk or drugged drivers. Sadly, one of them didn't make it to graduation and her diploma was instead presented to mourning parents.

The only thing standing between you and injury or death is common sense. Please be careful and remember that your actions don't only affect you. They affect your parents, your friends, and the people who are trying to save your life. Remember us all.

[/align]
Old 06-03-2006, 09:12 PM

Default RE: Prom and Graduation Parties

Thanks Mom.

Good read and sound advice, as usual.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:38 PM

also some words of advice. if ur goin campin, set up the tent before hand, much easier
- dont ride in the back of pickup trucks, buddy of mine, kickbutt full back , would've gone D1 im sure, junior year, 4 of em in a pickup truck, passenger seat rider had a seatbelt was fine, driver broke his nose, one friend banged up and bruised, other friend the full back - cracked liver, heart stopped twice, but hes alive.
- o and wear a seat belt. lost an uncle who wasn't wearin one.

and dont let people blatantly carry beer outside, they can arrest the parents of the household. depending on the city.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well said

(also seen the results of underage drinking)
Old 06-06-2006, 12:52 PM

Thank you all for taking the time to share your knowlege, huntingirl. I appreciate the words of wisdom.

Camille
Old 06-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for that lovly advice mom lol jk thanks hg
Old 06-07-2006, 12:49 AM

as of recent events, place all air horns out of reach of drunk people.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:38 AM

Always carry your beer box around so no one steals it, and if you get tired you can use it as a pillow.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:52 PM

ladies be smart. guys only want 1 thing... and once u breast feed a baby 4 a while "they" will look like this. plus u will have a kid.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:50 PM

recent events again

- if u luv ur hair, dont let a high friend come over and shave it. happend tonight to a friend of mine........was extremely funny however

Quick Reply: Prom and Graduation Parties

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.