HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Young Hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/young-hunters-13/)
-   -   What age is the right age to start hunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/young-hunters/129107-what-age-right-age-start-hunting.html)

GrouseBuster 01-16-2006 01:10 PM

What age is the right age to start hunting?

Hi all-
I am an advid hunter and mainly hunt deer, small game(grouse/rabbit), waterfowl and will actually begin turkey hunting this year. I have a 6 1/2 year old daughter and 5 year old son. They have seen pictures of me with deer I have shot and also have helped me pluck geese that I bring hime from hunts. They have also watched me clean fish. I am just curious what the best method is for bringing them out to the field with me and at what age. They always say they want to go with me but I do not think they know what that "really" means. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

GrouseBuster

Shootstuff4570 01-16-2006 04:25 PM

RE: What age is the right age to start hunting?

i think its mostly up to you and how responsible you think yourkids are. i remember my dad brought me out with him in a two man treestand when i was about 5 or 6 and i jus sat there and watched, we never did see anything but it was still a great experience.

PSEarcher149 01-16-2006 04:32 PM

My dad always brought me with him deer hunting when I was really young. He also took me out quail hunting even before I could shoot a shotgun. He just told me to bring along my BB gun just so I could feel like I had a chance at getting something. Even though I never did get any quail with my BB gun, I still found it fun, especially when I was walking one time and a quail flew up right in front of me and I fell over because it startled me. Just take them out sometime. If they get bored, then take them back. At my lake cabin, I always take my younger cousins out rabbit hunting with me. Even though we rarely get anything, they always want to come with. They really enjoy when we go off the trails around there and go into the thick brush and try and make our way out. Bottom line is, just make it fun for them, don't be worried about keeping them quiet all the time and make sure that if they get bored, then take them home.

kshutingkid 01-16-2006 05:04 PM

I agree with PSE.. it has to be fun or they won't want to keep doing it.. my dad took me out pheasant and quail hunting for as long as i can remember.. i went through two BB guns before i got my first shotgun.. i always thought that if i got the chance i could hit a quail in the head and kill it haha.. i would say that they are at the right age to take them out, but i also agree with whtiecloud in that it does depend on how responsible you think they are.. be sure to set guidelines and have them use the proper safety with their BB gun so they carry that safety onto using a shotgun..

squirrelkilla23 01-16-2006 05:39 PM

all of these guys have hit it on the head. it's all between how responsible they are and how fun it is. take them out with a .410 and let them shoot a popcan. then if they handle it good enough, take them out hunting for squirrel. my first game animal was a squirrel and it's one of the best to hunt i think. but responsibility is the main thing.

Oneshot7 01-16-2006 06:55 PM

My dad started me out when i was about that age and he made me carry my gun unloaded for one year until i understood the responsibility and a bb gun for just shooting at birds around my house and at cans. If they ever get bored take them to a place you know they will see animals and dont scold them for coughing or sneezing in the deer stand or talking to loudly and take them something to do like a peice of paper and a pencil that they can draw wildlife pics on. Also encourage themto help conserve the outdoors and also teach them to know what hey shoot at. Alot of kids i know say they mistook the cowhorn for a big deer and shot at it at dark but really saw the deer for what it was and shot and to be proud of their kill if they are not proud of it then what is the use

kevin1 01-16-2006 06:58 PM

Three of my grandkids recently got the chance to sit in a ground blind with me , they are 9 , 6 , & 5 . The six year old is a girl . I took the 6 YO girl and 5 YO boy out first during the midday , and they sat there just as good as gold and said very little for 2 hours and whispered when they did . Afterward , I took the 9 YO boy out to the same blind and he fidgeted and talked the whole time . Finally , after an hour of this I packed it in. It all depends on the kids and how motivated they are .

turkeyhunter_15 01-16-2006 08:53 PM

I think its all in matureity. Here in WI I had to wait till 12. I was mature enough then. Now there trying to change to 8...I was deff. not mature at that age. Some people are in 20's and are not mature enough look at that
Chi Vang. Ifit should be a set age I would say 12-13. Ive seen 6 year olds hunting and were awsome about it. I also think its unfair for thos who start young and have to wait for so long to hunt. I know a 6-7 thats awsome with a gun and very stealth and very mature for his age. because he was out there so young.
Its all Opinion.
Cory

Red Hawk 01-17-2006 02:03 AM

I think everyone pretty much has this one well covered :)

duckhunter81891 01-17-2006 12:37 PM

i think 12 is a good age to get and deffiently just take them out

kbick 01-17-2006 01:56 PM

i personally think it isn't the age as it is the maturity.if they are mature ehough in your eyes to go then take them, also being of size to hold and shoot the gun effecienlty is important.if these are both true then go ahead and take them hunting or at least take them with you to watch as a test run.when u are confident in them and trust them to go with you take them.

Hoytteen 01-17-2006 05:25 PM

like kbick says..its about maturity...my dad let me shoot my first deer when i was 10..woohoo

bigmatty65 01-18-2006 04:36 PM

ditto, i was out with my dad when i was 6-8, before i could take a gun along and then it was only a daisy lol. take your kids along and make sure they have a set of binoloculars. not a cheap peice of junk either, before i got a good set of binos i wasnt that interested in the outdoors or hunting, then my dad gave me a set if bushnell insta-focus binos and there no way anybody can keep me out of the woods now.

busyhunter56 01-18-2006 05:28 PM

I can still remember the day that my dad bought me my first bb gun... I'd start them out with that let them shoot itand get used to carrying a gun. Then I would suggest you taking them with you when hunting small game. Even if you arent hunting just take them out into the woods. Show them where you hunt.When you think theyre careful enough to handle a gun loaded or not it would be time to take them out. Squirelle and groundhog would be great game to take them out for their first time. :D

nutz4bucks 01-20-2006 04:33 PM

ORIGINAL: duckhunter81891

i think 12 is a good age to get and deffiently just take them out
Same here...took the words right outta my mouth.

Duckmasta 01-20-2006 10:27 PM

it all matters when are you ready to take them out? As far as i remeber i was leaving kinder garden early to go duck huntin with my dad and i was 4 turning 5 in oct. but before that i would wait for my dad to get home from hunting so i could see what he got and if he need help to clean or pluck it. It is a whole different experince when u hunt with a youth. I once hunt last year with a kid on our duck club because his dad didn't bring him enough shells and he had to go get more.so i stayed with him and taught him a thing or two and he is only 1 year younger that me but less experianced in hunting.

toadder 01-22-2006 10:28 AM

i say 12

untried_talent 01-22-2006 04:16 PM

im 13 and my mom still wont let me get a bb gun.i cant even get an airsoft gun or a wrist rocket!my mom is like against guns and hunting and i think the out doors to.my dad would let me have all that stuff and more.he hunts and fishes,but for some reason he stopped hunting and mostly fishes now.

vadeer 01-22-2006 06:29 PM

I took my 8 yr old this season. If the deer presented a good shot. He was planning to take it.

My 10 yr oldhelps me quarter the deer and will be taking hunters ed for the 2006season.

I treat it like "this is what theyshould do," just like school. They are both receptive.

huntertrav 01-24-2006 09:40 AM

in saskatchewan we arnt aloud to start hunting unyile we are 12 but we take are hunter safty when we are 11

huntertrav 01-24-2006 09:42 AM

in saskatchewan we arnt aloud to start hunting untile we are 12 but we take are hunter safty when we are 11

huntertrav 01-24-2006 08:59 PM

the right age

in saskatchewan we arn't aloud to hunt untile we are 12 but we take are hunter safty when we are 11 and i think that is a good age to start

TREV93 01-24-2006 09:20 PM

my dad started bringing me hunting when i was 3 but i didnt start carring a gun until about 7 or 8

sniper65 01-26-2006 06:03 PM

I started shooting when i was 9, but my mom would not let me hunt until i was 15

turkeyhunter1590 02-21-2006 07:09 PM

i started huntin when i was 10 so when you get started young it will be funner

reflex03 02-21-2006 08:33 PM

I started when I was 14 but I wish I would have started earlier.....

untried_talent 02-21-2006 08:51 PM

i wish it was like the old days were you would learn to shoot way before your pops .56 spencer carbine stopped nocking you flat on your butt.you had to know how to shoot.heck, kids were helping in cattle drives by the time the were 12.you guys are talkin' about picking up a gun for the first time at that age.

Shootem up870 02-21-2006 09:42 PM

u should get them hooked as soon as possible. my little cuz was 5 when he first went hunting and is constantly begging to be takin again he loves it. they dont have to shoot just take them a couple of times. and see how they like it. u may have to wait a couple of years based on the maturity of the kid. good luck n let us know if you need more help

solberg 02-26-2006 07:57 PM

i think 12 otherwise the kids dont know what there doin as much

FroMan 02-26-2006 08:06 PM

As soon as they pop out start taking them hunting.

As far as carrying or taking a weapon, start small...I'd say around 8-10 once they can understand the responsibility it takes handling a weapon. Give em a bb gun or something. Later on, once they prove to you they're responsible, up the gun to a shotgun or something. Then when they are 16 and on their own, they can go hunting by themselves without you around.

countrymudder 03-01-2006 01:15 PM

as soon as possible..Ive been hunting since i was five..im now 19 and still hunting and always will. I shot my first deer when i was six. I have been addicted to it ever since the first day i set foot in the woods.

acurtis 03-01-2006 01:59 PM

Well i think 12 but here in wisconsin they want to make it so 8 year olds can hunt but yet they have to sit in a carseat.

Barth 03-01-2006 02:00 PM

12 for most states

spencer haws 02-04-2021 08:33 PM

my personal opinion of this is you should go hunting after 10 years old

elkman30 02-05-2021 11:31 AM

I think you should start a new topic. This one died back in 2006. Maybe you could explain why you believe after 10 is best.

Oldtimr 02-06-2021 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by GrouseBuster (Post 1345655)
Hi all-
I am an advid hunter and mainly hunt deer, small game(grouse/rabbit), waterfowl and will actually begin turkey hunting this year. I have a 6 1/2 year old daughter and 5 year old son. They have seen pictures of me with deer I have shot and also have helped me pluck geese that I bring hime from hunts. They have also watched me clean fish. I am just curious what the best method is for bringing them out to the field with me and at what age. They always say they want to go with me but I do not think they know what that "really" means. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

GrouseBuster

It depends on the child. Some children are ready earlier than others. I have seen fathers start their kids too early and essentially drive them out of being a hunter because they were not ready for the discipline it takes to hunt. Don't judge your kid by other kids that are hunting or by what other fathers are doing with their child, take your time and don't rush things. You and you alone or you and your spouse should make that decision for your child and it doesn't depend on what other children are doing. There is nothing that says the kids has to have a license just because they can. You can take your child with you and teach them without them having a firearm in their hands. There are many things that can be taught that do not require a firearm, such as wildlife sign and wildlife food sources and why you hunt here and not there etc and hunting ethics. Teach your child and watch them and listen to the questions they ask to help you make the decision, not a bunch of strangers on a message board who may or may not have your best interests in mind. I hate to see kids started too early and the wrong way because of their fathers ego and then just walk away from hunting forever.

jacobphotolixa 05-03-2021 02:04 PM

Hi, I think While there'sno set minimum age for a toddlerto shoot his or her first animal, it's up to you to forma wise call onwhen the kid is prepared. Letting a toddler shoot a gun or kill an animal before he or she is mentally or physically equipped can quell his or her passion for hunting.
Thank you.

Oldtimr 05-03-2021 02:14 PM

What is the matter with you? A toddler should not be shooting a gun or hunting. One of the most important things about starting a young hunter is being smarter than they are!!

jonmyrlebailey 02-17-2022 01:23 AM

In 1957, Disney produced a film called '"Old Yeller". A 12-year-old boy went deer hunting on his mule during the Old West era. His smaller brother stayed home with mom and the dog. His father was out on a trail drive. Nobody held the hand of Travis Coates out in the field. If a boy is big enough to cut grass with a power mower, he is probably also big enough to go hunting with a gun. I was 11 when I first started to use the family lawn mower.

Alex34 06-18-2022 01:31 PM

12 Years is the minimum age