Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

75 DAY CORN

Old 05-02-2005, 10:45 AM

Default 75 DAY CORN

I'm trying to get a 75 day corn to plant in nothwestern Wi. I only need about 2-3 lbs. I want to try a small plot of it to see if it will work for a winter feed. I would leave it up through the winter. Problem I'm having is all the mills only sell full bags of seed for $50.00or more.Thats more than I want to spend for an experment. Any one out there willing to part with a small amount. I'm more than willing to pay. I need enough for a 20x20 foot area. I plan on running fish line around it with aluminum pie plates, alum. cans or anything to keep the deer away till winter. Like I said this is an experiment
Old 05-02-2005, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 75 DAY CORN

have about 25 lbs of garst roundup ready corn given to me by a farmer. it's 115 day. you can always buy a couple of the 6 oz corn packets from walmart.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:25 PM

I need enough for a 20x20 foot area. I plan on running fish line around it with aluminum pie plates, alum. cans or anything to keep the deer away till winter. Like I said this is an experiment
good luck w/ the experiment.. if possible, i'd really try to increase the size of the plot so that you'll have an ear or two left by october... every critter in the woods likes to eat corn, so you have multiple culprits to be concerned about.

realistically, scrap your fence idea and try using the plotsaver as well as expanding your plot to an acre (208' x 208') for a wildlife corn plot. imo, the tough part is working ground if you don't have access to a small tractor or atv w/ implements. buy corn and fertilizer (lots of N) from your local coop (almost always the best prices) and broadcast w/ a hand crank seeder. you'll need to cover the seed (1"-2") w/ dirt using whatever means you have available ----- many moons ago, i made a "drag" using an old mattress springs w/ cinder blocks for added weight and pulled the contraption behind my dad's riding lawnmower (not perfect, but cheap---just remember you need the seed to be covered w/ an inch or so of dirt for it to stand a chance).

to protect your plot, i'd suggest the plotsaver (i haven't tried this method, but i would say it's your best bet). for $55, the plotsaver comes w/ 850' of ribbon (enough for an acre) and a jug of repellent juice that'll last 100 days or so.

check into it:
http://www.feedthedeer.com/plotsaver.htm

p.s. please don't take this thread as overly critical of your original idea.....my advice is based on 7+ years of planting corn in food plots and i want you to avoid some of the pitfalls of food plotting that i made when starting out or testing a theory. it's nice to hear a unique idea or management strategy every now and then... thanks and good luck, brother!
Old 05-02-2005, 03:12 PM

STRMCHZR, I don't take it as critical at all. I figure there is always someone out there that might have a better idea and know more than me. Size is the problem I will be using a garden tiller so an acre is pushing it. It's just a small 4hp one. I will go as big as I can the size I gave was just a number. I don't know how hard and rocky it is. I'll try to go as big as I can. As far as the plot saver I'm at a loss. I haven't heard of it. So another thing I need to check out any info will help. I don't have power there so if it needs it I'm S.O.L.
PSANDHU, Thanks for the offer but 115 day corn won't make it up there.It's not that far from Hayward, Wi. 75 or 80 day would be it. We always get an early frost and I can't plant till Memorial Day or later. I do have a tractor a A/C WD but short on impl. at this time if this woprks then I'll get what I need. I don't have alot of cleared land maybe an acre and a half. more can be cleared if it works. I'm just trying to have some food for the deer and turkeys during the winter it's not so much for hunting. Thanks and I hope for more help and suggestions..
Old 05-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Brad W Wi

I'm trying to get a 75 day corn to plant in nothwestern Wi. I only need about 2-3 lbs. I want to try a small plot of it to see if it will work for a winter feed. I would leave it up through the winter. Problem I'm having is all the mills only sell full bags of seed for $50.00or more.Thats more than I want to spend for an experment. Any one out there willing to part with a small amount. I'm more than willing to pay. I need enough for a 20x20 foot area. I plan on running fish line around it with aluminum pie plates, alum. cans or anything to keep the deer away till winter. Like I said this is an experiment
I'd be curious what you are trying to determine with your experiment. That it will grow? That the deer will eat it? Let me know.

Also you said that you can't plant until Memorial Day; is that because of weather or just when you have the time?

Here is something else for you: http://corn.agronomy.wisc.edu/WCM/1998/W049.html

It mentions planting corn by May 15th in northern Wisconsin.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:54 AM

ANSWERGUY, I'm trying to see if I can get some corn to be standing into winter for food. We can't really feed deer in Wisc. We have alot of restrictions because of CWD. I can't plant much earlier than Memorial day because of frost. I'm just trying to figure out something to put in in a limited area that will help the deer through the winter. When you say buy May 15 your looking a a generalized date. I talk to the locals and I'm going by what they say. I don't know if the heavy snows we get in the area will knock down corn stalks. The plots I have will be in the deep woods. I think they will get enough sun lite but thats another part of the experiment. I'm just trying things on my own, instead of just going by what someone says to plant. It's not going to do me any good anyway if I can't get some short season corn to plant. If not I'll just try something else out.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Brad W Wi

ANSWERGUY, I'm trying to see if I can get some corn to be standing into winter for food. We can't really feed deer in Wisc. We have alot of restrictions because of CWD. I can't plant much earlier than Memorial day because of frost. I'm just trying to figure out something to put in in a limited area that will help the deer through the winter. When you say buy May 15 your looking a a generalized date. I talk to the locals and I'm going by what they say. I don't know if the heavy snows we get in the area will knock down corn stalks. The plots I have will be in the deep woods. I think they will get enough sun lite but thats another part of the experiment. I'm just trying things on my own, instead of just going by what someone says to plant. It's not going to do me any good anyway if I can't get some short season corn to plant. If not I'll just try something else out.
I think that I can tell you with confidence that corn will stay standing even with heavy snow.
Even if it doesn't deer will dig for it.

Someone suggested sweet corn, and I'd go along with that idea. You should be able to buy it by the quarter pound at many places that cater to gardeners.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

2-3 lbs of corn seed is way too much for a 20x20 foot area. that's roughly 1/100th of an acre. a 4-6 oz package of sweet corn from any garden shop or retailer is all you would need. it's about 5 bucks.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

Brad, I would go talk to a local farmer. He might give you a coffee can full for a couple bucks.
I, too, would wait until Memorial Day to plant. Our last EXPECTED frost date is May 15, but lots of times Ma Nature doesn't open her calender. I'm waiting for the first weekend in June to plant my beans.
Brian
Old 05-03-2005, 09:30 AM

Brad

I'll third the idea of a local farmer. They normally buy a lot of bags and its rare that they just end up with none left over. My father in law always has some seed leftover. usually just throws it away so its not sitting around. I"d bet you get it cheap or free. Now if my father in law just had some alfalfa and soybean seed he'd part with.......... I"m like you, don't want to spend a few hundred bucks on a few 50 pound bags that would last a looonnnggg time. But FWIW we keep all leftover seed in the freezer and it seems to work. IE the seeds frozen seem to germinate decently over a few years time in storage.

Best of luck!! Jeff

Quick Reply: 75 DAY CORN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.