Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Any experience with small burnett or WTI extreme? >

Any experience with small burnett or WTI extreme?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Any experience with small burnett or WTI extreme?

Old 04-22-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Any experience with small burnett or WTI extreme?

I'm working on creating winter habitit for whitetails and had read about small burnett in a post here. I'm curious if anyone has tried planing it and what results you may have seen. It has also just come to my attention that Whitetail Institute extreme is 63% small burnett. So, if you've tried Extreme please sing out and let me know your thoughts.

I appreciate your opinions.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any experience with small burnett or WTI extreme?

Hi adams

Small burnett is a native plant for much of the Northeast. So even if you haven't planted it - you may have it on your location already.

This link gives some pretty good information on it.

http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/topic...i&symbol=SAMI3

Its also called "salad burnett" - and used to be a common herb used by county folk in the 1800s and before. Its said to have a cucumber flavor.

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/p....asp?code=A278

You can find out alot more about it be search for it's latin name on google.
-Sanguisorba minor

I'm sure deer will eat it along with other natural forbs, but so far I'm not a big fan of the "extreme" type plot - when compared to clover, or other cultivated, high tonnage and protein plots.

Please - let us know if you plant it - how it works out.

FH
Old 04-23-2005, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was wondering what it looked like, knew I had not heard of it in the South.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:33 AM

I planted some Extreme and so far so good.....do a search here there is one thread with some good reviews....I have lots of clay with low ph soil that by july every blade of grass and clover is dead... very dry by then..(extreme claims great results in these conditions).....so this is my last hope......its very pricey but I'm only doing a 1/4 acre L strip green right-away.....I'll keep ya posted.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:52 AM

Farm hunter.

Thanks for all the good information.

What I'm trying to accomplish with the extreme or small burnett is to create additional late and early season browse. I have a nice clover plot and am expanding my annual plot this spring. I had great success with Powerplant last year and the deer moved to the clover plot (only 10-15 feet away) after the frost killed the powerplant. I'm hoping by adding to these two food sources I will be able to "fill the hole in the bucket". During the summer and fall the deer have plenty of food but they are lacking anything of nutritional value during the winter and early spring (generally until spring green up the second week of May.)

I think providing quality browse for deer this time of year is about the most frustrating of any task I've undertaken in my QDM plan. The time of year deer need nutrition most is the most difficult time to provide for them. I know there are feeds on the market but that is not an option for the plan I envision. My plan entails offering the deer a completely natural habitat that is rich in forages that are high in nutrition.

I think I’m going to go ahead and plant a plot. I’m going to a QDMA seminar on Friday and will run it by them too. I was thinking of thinning the canopy in a spot on my parents 50acres and planting the forest floor with small burnett. I’m sure it’ll be a while before I can report back but I’ll definitely accumulate as much info as possible and I’ll be glad to share my findings.

Thanks all for taking the time to respond.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

The time of year deer need nutrition most is the most difficult time to provide for them.
Ain't that the truth - It never goes away - and watch what the deer are telling you. My herd IGNORES rye at green-up. I've never understood it 100% - but they would rather get very little High Protein Clover in the SPring - than LOTS of RYE.

I know there are feeds on the market but that is not an option for the plan I envision
Stay away from feed - if you can plant. You will feel 150% better about it - and you will actually help the herd more by planting.

Not to mention - if the deer are ignoring a bona-fide crop planting - you can bet they will ignore the feed too - UNTIL you train them to it. (not my cup of tea).

The key is to provide the planting that competes with "nature's best" in the spring.

In my area too - at greenup - NOTHING will out-compete natural forb production - and that makes me very happy!