HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Food plot design (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/96542-food-plot-design.html)

skeetr1 04-06-2005 12:46 PM

Food plot design

I own 40 acres that was logged 10 years ago in northen MN. In a few weeks I will have access to a d6 cat and I am going to push some food plots on this 40. If this was your huntiing property what would you do for food plots.

how many acres would you put in to food plots? (there is no farms or plots in the area.)

how big would you make them?

what shapes would they be? I have read a hour glass shape can be advantagous. The land is mostly flat and prevailing winds are nw/se

timbercruiser 04-06-2005 01:58 PM

RE: Food plot design

I would definitely flag them out before the dozier got started and would use the NW/SE directions to preplan the stand location on the field and plan the approach to the plots. I like the fields a little long and will leave some scattered trees in them. I think it makes the deer feel a little safer or something. After you lay them out take a GPS and see how big you have them, If possible I would make them a couple of acres or more each. Two plots on 40 acres is plenty, I wouldn't put but one myself.

skeetr1 04-06-2005 02:34 PM

Thanks for the feed back. I am heading to the property this weekend to do just that, the snow is almost all gone. The only problem I see with one food plot is what I see on my other land that has one bigger food plot maybe 3 acres. Is the does are meen and they fight like cats and dogs, they will even run off some small bucks. I was thinking of pushing one plot in the middle ish of the property with some spoke roads to a few smaller plots say 1/4 to 1/2 acres and also plant the roads for maybe 4 to five acres, but this might not be wise.

RonM 04-06-2005 06:11 PM

If there is no ag land around I dont think you can overdo it, can you get in there with farm equip like a corn planter, or a tractor and disc, you can have a field day... Look at some of the photos posted by farm hunter , he has a good layout and he also has other farms in the area..... You will be much better off with no farms, you will establish a deer haven......

max the dog 04-07-2005 09:41 PM

I like the dogleg shape, first I find the best tree for a stand on my property and then mark out the longest shot I'm willing to take in a hunting situation. Say 40 yards, I go out at a 45 to 60 degree angle to the left and right clearing everything and anything between those two points and my tree for a path about 5 to 10 yards wide. I pile all the cut brush and trees in 2 area's; between those 2 far points and right behind the tree.
This forces the deer to follow the path of the food plot to get to the other side. It also keeps them from actually seing the other side, that keeps their attention over there rather than the guy in the tree.
This works, I've got 2 doglegs on my property. Now if only I can get something good to grow on it.

skeetr1 04-08-2005 06:24 AM

I will be able to get in there with a tractor, which I dont have but use my atv and homeade implements. Thanks for the suggestions. This area in northern mn is mostly woods very few farms. There is a couple of cattle farmers in the area maybe 5 miles away that have hay and alfalfa fields.

greg-dude 04-08-2005 07:24 AM

I don't think you can put in too many acres in your situation. You may be drawing deer from a good distance in times of food shortages. You may want to adjust what you plant to meet the times when natural food is least available in your area. Leave plenty brush and thickets for bedding areas. Longer plots may be better then wider, but you have to work with what you have. Thos doglegs are good idea. Stacking the piles to help guide deer movement is another good idea.

adams 04-08-2005 01:59 PM

I would either plant hour glassed shaped plots or "L" shaped plots and definately keep them less then an acre of you plan to hunt ove ther them. I've attached a great link to an article in the whitetail news about food plots, hunting food plots and food plot design. It goes into detail about planning and creating plots. it's a good read and quite informative

http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/in.../aug03/11.html