Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

mn food plots???

Old 04-01-2005, 09:27 AM

Default mn food plots???

any advice as to what blends and what manufacturer works best up here?
Old 04-03-2005, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: mn food plots???

I've got a buddy 150 miles NW of St Paul that has had success with the Imperial ClClvoer. I emailed him this moring and told him to post how it did last winter.

Last time we talked it was kickin.

He had tried some of the brassicas and he said he didn't have much luck. The deer ate them but it was too late in the season for hunting.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:11 PM

What part of Mn are you hunting in? I have food plots in NE MN and have had good success with

1) clover; red, ladino, alfalfa, I dont think you can go wrong with the imperial whitetail products. I have plated imperial clover and alpha rack in 1/4 acre plots and they have done great.

2) annuals; turnips sugerbeets and rutabagas are tough to beat in the fall they destroy the plots and dig through snow to get them. If you are in a tough spot to plant I use winter rye and winter wheat and oats. This combo also is extremly good and cheap. just spray to kill and drag some form of dirt ripping device with a quad and broadcast (before a rain if possible)

good luck
Old 04-06-2005, 07:03 PM

the location i'm hunting is a few miles nw of parkers praire...i'm an electrician for the land owner...he owns about a 1000 acres of awesome land...he gave me hunting rights to it all and is paying for all the food plots...money isn't an option with him...i've been working on his 10 million dollar log home for over a year now...i'd say i'm pretty lucky...
i'm leaning toward the whitetail institute blends...especially the clover and there extreme..also interested in there new blend called power plant...just took soil samples today hope to send them off this week...
Old 04-09-2005, 02:16 AM

Hey, while on the subject of Minnesota food plots. I hunt 80 acres about 14 miles sw of Staples, mostly wooded, some low ground. I have four wheeler trails cut through-out. I was hoping to be able to drag the trails and broadcast some seed, maybe clover or something. Will this work? Is there something better I could do with the trails? Four wheeler and drag are the only equipment I have. I really do not want to cut/clear anymore than I already have. Any ideas???
Old 04-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunter,

I know the property your talking about. I did the fertilizing of the new grass last summer.
Clover is your best bet and I am envious of you being able to hunt that land.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:29 PM

what road is your land located? my parents farm is about 5 miles nw of bertha so they should be pretty close to each other. I just planted clover in about the same manner you are talking about and it is doing fine