Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plots

Old 03-20-2005, 10:03 AM

Default Food Plots

When is the best time to start a food plot? Is it too late for one to be effective next November? I have never had a green thumb, so growing anything is tough for me.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Food Plots

It is never too early. Right now you need to be clearing the area, if it needs it, and getting the soil sample and applying lime as recommended. Then you can plant a summer plot like soybeans or iron clay peas. This fall you can plant rye, wheat and oats in September for your winter plot. Depending on your area of the country other crops may apply. If you want clover there is all kinds and times of year for planting.. You need a plan on what you want to grow.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Busch7596

When is the best time to start a food plot? Is it too late for one to be effective next November? I have never had a green thumb, so growing anything is tough for me.

NEVER!. If you can't hunt without baiting try golf.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Maineguide5424

NEVER!. If you can't hunt without baiting try golf.
Maineguide, do you EVER have ANYTHING positive and informative to add to any thread??? As a matter of fact, I checked you're previous posts and other than being confrontational and disruptive, you generally just spat off some crap like you just have here but never actually contribute anything.

What an idiotic statement for anyone to make about the food plots. I would like to see you TRY to hunt one of the best deer states in the nation (IL, IA, OH, etc) where you are not hunting deer based on food patterns??? For instance the vast majoritye of tracts here in IL are small wooded tracts of 40 to 200 acres that are generally surrounded by crop fields (food plots). Now get real, join the chat or shut up.

I personally applaud anyone's efforts to IMPROVE their whitetail habitat and actually help the herd during stress period. What do YOU do for your deer other than buying a tag and chasing them through the woods?
Old 03-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Busch7596

It obviously7 depends on what exactly you wish to plant. It also depends on you location, what part of the US are you located. The timeline for effective spring planting is approaching over the nxt few weeks. If a spring plot is your desire than soil samples need to e taken ASAP and the appropiate amount of lime needs to be applied. For a fall planting then you need t take the same measues you just won't have to worry about the actual planting times until August or so.

A GREAT source is to contact the QDMA and even think about asking some of these questions on that sites forums. Some very great folks over there that are always willing to help you get the most out of your resources. See ya there bud.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:43 PM

Cornfeeder,
Sorry, I must have got you mixed up with a hunter. So, you admit you know nothing about hunting deer but to feed them and wait for them to come to it.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm just saying that instead of being so negative try helping someone. For your imformation, implementing a whitetail nutrioton program is something many take extremely serious and is an investment that I am very proud of. Granted I'm not sitting over a small pile of "bait" as many folks would describe it BUT if it is legal (it isn't in IL) I don't have a problem with it. To suggest the only real way to hunt deer, as you have in the past, is to track them is BS. You hunt the "traditional" method for YOUR area but your tactice would be laughed at here in the Midwest. That is something you just don't see around here..... stalking the small wooded tracts just wouldn't cut it. in fact after the first time of two you bump deer out of these small properties you could forget about seeing them there again. You're anti treestand, food plot, field hunting cracks are not needed on a DEER hunting forum. Thinsk before you post.

PS..... I make NO claims on being a "REAL" deerhunter by anyones definition, perhaps I need a lesson for a true "expert" like yourself???
Old 03-21-2005, 05:21 PM

Busch, glad to see your taking an active role in the health and nutrition of your deer herd. Far too many people complain about not seeing any deer, or the deer arent big enough. Problem is, they dont practice anything that would help to grow bigger, healthier deer.

Im no expert when it comes to food plots, but I have planted some small ones. I always needed the help of a local farmer or an expert in the field..hahahah get it "in the field" anyways, ask around, and find out what grows best, take soil samples etc.

Dont let people like Maineguide deter you. Theres nothing wrong with growing a food plot to better the herd!

If your simply looking for a small hide-a-way "patch of green", understand that even most the "no-plow" seeds need soil prep.

If your not already, I also recommend you practice QDM. To get started you should recruit the help of a local biologist, but you can do it yourself, simply by passing young, small bucks, and shooting does. Any friends or family hunting the land, have to do the same. Biologists can give you a more specific number of does to harvest though. The benefits are endless, and there really are no negatives. If you want to learn more, visit the QDMA website.

Hope you get the plot planted and good luck!---Matt

PS. Mainebuck, I dont know you, but I suggest you keep quiet on matters that dont concern you. Didnt your mother ever teach you, that if you have nothing good to say, dont say anything? Such negativity towards a widely accepted practice, that not only benefits deer, but other species, makes you look ignorant. Your entitled to your views, but is it necessary to berate fellow hunters?

Bad practice in my eyes, take a lesson from this; United we stand, divided we fall. Attack fellow hunters, and you only weaken our defenses against antis.

Have a good one---Matt
Old 03-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Maineguide, free 3 day hunt, come on down next December. Maybe I could learn the wisdom of the master. Of course in these southern forest where you don't have snow to cut a track and follow it it will really take a lot of skill. That plus the majority of these thickets where you can't see 10 feet most of the time will be a real test of tracking abilities.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:03 AM

I'm in Missouri. A friend of mine is going to do some research in the area where the land is (talk to local farmers and so on). All the suggestions have been great and anymore would be greatly appreciated. BTW if the State of Missouri sees food plots as beneficial, I will not argue with them.

Quick Reply: Food Plots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.