Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plots

Old 03-23-2005, 07:53 AM

Default RE: Food Plots

MIssouri has an exceptional program through Conservation. Contact the Missouri Department of Conservation Private Lands Conservationist for your area. They have tremendous expertise and background that can help you. They do on site visits, evaluations, and recomendations...all free.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:52 AM

Busch,

I am from central MO. Any specific questions, I'll be glad to help. Wooddust is correct about MDC and the help they have available. You may want to think about the type of foodplot (ie, a kill plot, a plot to provide food in spring, summer, fall or winter etc.), the equipment you will available for your use as well as surrounding land use.

Most people not involved in QDM, just want a kill plot or a plot to hunt over in the fall. You have plenty of time for the fall plot, but start planning now in terms of plot fertility, plant species and ground preparation. Don't let everything involve in planting a foodplot overwhelm you. It can be as simple or complicated as you want to make it.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:58 AM

I am in the eastern pan handle of WV. Ijust planted 2 ac. using a horse pasture mix. It has 2 different clovers a rye grass a johnson grass and a red fescue. I got the idea from my neighbor actually got the seed from him too. He is on a 4o ac. horse farm and he sad the deer eat more of his pasture than the horses do. we have 2 large heards of deer that come through our property almost on a daily basis. This fall i plan on doin some real hunting , right off my deck what do you think Mainegeek5424
Old 03-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

I would like to say WELCOME to the forum Mattaic, sounds like you will be a welcome addition.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:05 AM

Konk, thanks for the welcome...

I dont know how often I will get on here, but it seems like a great place.

Take care and have a good one---Matt
Old 03-25-2005, 09:09 AM

Brownie,

I'm surprised you are so completely against food plots. I understand "baiting" deer is illegal in Maine but improving habitat so that it can carry more and healthier deer is what every hunter should be striving for IMO. I know the parts where you are from and I'd venture a very safe bet that the majority of bucks in the northern part of Maine never see a hunter in the woods once they reach maturity. To take it a step further the majority of those deer will die of old age before they are killed by a hunter. Why? There senses are too good and there is ample land for them to elude all but the best planned out hunts.

You've and I have seen the deer from these parts. 200lbs is a good deer but they get much bigger yet very few P&Y or B&C bucks are taken in Maine. Why do you think that is? The deer have 2 of the three they need to produce record book racks. They've got age and if you look at the racks of the bucks taken, they've got the genetics for the most part. What the bucks in Maine are missing is the adequate protein levels their bodies and there racks need to reach the potential that their age and genetics allow. Check out the P&Y and B&C websites and the majority of book bucks in Maine come from agricultural areas with Aroostook County leading the way.

If you could plant intermittent plots throughout paper company land and provider the deer with the nutrition their bodies need to reach their potential you'd have a win win situation. The deer that already have cover, age and genetics would now have supplemental nutrition and I'm pretty sure you'd see Northern Maine jump quite a few rungs and the trophy deer ladder.

As I comb the list of benefits, 4 major ones come to mind. For the deer, they will be healthier and less stressed by environmental factors. For the hunter there will be more deer as the caring capacity is increased, there will be healthier, stronger and larger deer to hunt. And the deer of the "North Woods" that are normally elusive to their death will now be more pattern able, providing more quality hunting opportunities to a hunter.

*** I am not advocating hunting deer over planted food plots***
IMPO it is unsporting to hunt a deer over a plot but if it's legal I won't knock it. It's like hunting over a pile of corn. It's legal in places where I don't hunt and I support hunters who are playing buy the rules set forth by their Fish and game departments. The biologist know what numbers need to be maintained and the best way to achieve those numbers so IMO it's best to leave that job to professionals.

What small 1 ac plots scattered through out the woods of Maine (epically the North Woods) would do is allow a person with the time and desire to pattern a trophy animal and the ability to set up along the deer’s established travel routes. It's still not taking candy from a baby.

You've spoke of tracking big bucks in the snow. I have some experience with just that on lands near where you are. I agree that this is a good method and I have personally seen some of the most impressive animals I've ever seen in the wild while hunting this method. Problem is for me that I have no desire to hunt with a firearm. I've stalked to within 75 yards of a bedded P&Y buck only to get busted by a doe and then the buck. The buck I was trailing passed a bedded doe and bedded 50 yards beyond her. As I slowly approached I got to a point where the doe would not tolerate me further and when she jumped, so did that majestic buck. Had I had a rifle in my hand I could have lobbed a slob shot at it but that's not the style I prefer to hunt in.

This is just my perspective and I lean heavily toward QDM practices and I think the practices of planting food plots, supporting QDM, and wildlife management in general will make a immensely positive impact on herds where it is given a chance. I can feel the roots gripping the soil and the philosophy taking hold.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:58 AM

It is never to late to start practicing QDM or QWM (Quality Wildlife Management) There is a to do list every month of the year. Let just say its April, start clearing cleaning up your area for your summer/fall plot, soil test this area, spread lime accordingly, fertilize native browse/trees, supplement feeding, mineral sites, drop cull trees to produce vine trellis/cover and many other things.

Here is what three good years of QDM/QWM can do!

Old 03-26-2005, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

Maineguide5424

Sorry, I must have got you mixed up with a hunter. So, you admit you know nothing about hunting deer but to feed them and wait for them to come to it.
So we know where you are coming from could you let us all know what the acceptable way to hunt is?
Old 03-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

johnson grass and a red fescue
Great for horses - not good for deer. Its a pretty safe bet - that without horses in the pasture to take care of the grasses - the clover will only be a very small percentage of the plot.

I understand the price was right - keep it mowed to 6-8" if you can - do not let the grasses go to seed.

Its probable that the deer your nieghbor sees in the horse pastures are nipping out the clover.

FH
Old 03-30-2005, 10:23 PM

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

johnson grass and a red fescue
Great for horses - not good for deer.
Their not good for horses either. Fescue can have a fungus in it that is toxic to brood mares. My sister has a horse farm in Jefferson Co., W.Va and she has lost 6 foals so far this season.

I didn't know anyone planted Johnson grass, the farms around here can be fined if they don't keep it under control.

I would suggest orchard grass, bluegrass or bermuda grass, rye and red clover. Throw in some white clover for the rabbits.

Quick Reply: Food Plots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.