Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

my favorite color: green

Old 03-14-2005, 01:09 AM

Default my favorite color: green

over the weekend, i "inspected" my food plot i planted last fall on my family's land in s.e.ks. starting to really green up!

i planted ladino clover last september in a food plot i had expanded by cutting osage orange and locust trees. i still need to clear more buckbrush before the projects complete, but thankfully the osage or. and locust trees are no longer a problem.

Old 03-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: my favorite color: green

I thought this was going to be a John Deere vs IH thread!

That does look nice and I bet it looks even better to the deer.

Here in Michigan the only color showing is white...and I'm getting pretty darned tired of it.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks great - I can't wait to see anything other than White here too!![:@]

Are the large trees you left in the plot locust too? Or are they a nut bearing tree? What type?

Did you know that locust trees are Nitrogen Fixing (as are alders). They add decent amounts of N to the soil. I know a small farm near me - where an acre patch of 20 or so locust trees (non-native) grow - and the owner plants pumkins in between the trees. Those pumpkins grow great with the added Nitrogen from the trees - they are always a dark green, and grow late into the season.

I've stayed away from planting them on our property - because they can be invasive (i'm sure you know) - but if you have them already - use them to help in your fall cereal grain (or brassica) plantings.
FH
Old 04-19-2005, 10:31 AM

thanks for the reply fh...

i had forgotten about this post until i stumbled across it today. very interesting fact about locust trees that i didn't know. i didn't realize that some trees are nitrogen-fixers------i need to do a little research on the subject.

when i was "creating" my food plot i wanted to reduce/eliminate the "bothersome" trees (i.e. trees w/ big honkin' thorns). i've cut (and been cut by) many of the osage orange and locust trees in my food plot . interestingly enough, not all the locust trees on my land have thorns, so i selectively thinned the locust based on this issue. honey locust does have some wildlife value (aside from cover) in the form of long pods that critter will eat, but i don't know what the nutritional value of the pods for deer.

i have been pleasantly surprised by the "minority trees" in my food plot. i have a decent # of walnut trees, a couple of nice sized pecan trees, lots of wild plum thickets, hackberry,and a grove of persimmons that we've identified in the last 3 years of clearing.

again, thanks for the info, fh.

here's a couple pics from last weekend.

persimmon grove (last weekend i saw the first signs of budding on the persimmons)

here's a nice walnut tree

the wild plums are absolutely gorgeous right now

Old 04-21-2005, 08:27 AM
Spike

Man, I'm jealous. Your plot looks better than my yard. Looks like you've got yourself a sweet spot too.
heel
Old 04-23-2005, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

StrmChzr -

Its looking good -

I wonder about the wild plums - Do they get fruit? How big? do the deer browse them?

We do not have them here - not native anyhow - and I've planted some - and I wonder if I need to protect them from the deer?

Thanks
FH
Old 04-23-2005, 09:23 PM

i don't have much info concerning wild plums, except my observations from my land in s.e. kansas.

the wild plums grow in thickets along the waterway (it dries out in july and august, but holds water most other months). some years we've had a bumper crop of plums in mid-summer and other years it is spotty.

this pic was taken 8/29/04

the plums are the size of store-bought cherries once they ripen in the summer. i have never seen deer browse on the fruit, but i'm sure they do. the plums taste incredible once ripened. we've made jam and preserves from the plums in the past.

i have no idea if you should protect immature plum trees from deer browsing?

any fertilizer recommendations for wild plums and persimmon trees?