Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

under brush

Old 03-02-2005, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default under brush

I have a newly purchased property that is very thick in most areas. My question is should I try and clean up some of the underbrush? It consists of briars and broken tree limbs. I have a lot of oak trees (several types) that produce abundance of acorns.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: under brush

My property is exactly as you described ,
and since I want it to be a small game haven(honeyhole) I intend to do as little ground clearing as possible so that they will have cover to protect them from the local stray cats .

In fact , among the things that I'm considering planting for deer browse are vining plants like honeysuckle . The property was logged awhile back , and they left the tops and cuttings laying where they fell , and they will still be there later because I won't remove them except to clear the quad trails . One of the larger tops is situated next to a seep that forms a near year round puddle where the critters drink , and it's gonna be transformed into a permanent blind for bow hunting . What looks like annoying clutter to us can be viewed as home to game .
Old 03-03-2005, 07:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

A properly done fire will probably be a good option. Most mature stands of timber are not really good for deer habitat. Burning the briars down so they will come out tender and killing some of the smaller hardwoods will encourage growth of palatable deer food.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:47 AM

Under brush is great for deer and lots of other wildlife. It provides them with food, cover, and shelter. But, the point of diminishing return occurs when the under growth reaches a stage where it is no longer accessible to the deer. The browse line should be from about 5' to the ground. In a naturally regenerating forest the plants start growing and there is lots of good browse and diversity from the ground level to say waist level. But, as mother nature takes her course the plants start to grow and shade the forest floor. When this happens the diversity that was once there starts to decline and the height of the browse increases.

To keep this diversity and browse height the landowner should burn, select-cut, or use timber stand improvement to encourage new plants to grow.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cut a couple paths thru there with a bush hog, if you cant go in with a machete, and put a little Roundup on it when it startts back growing again....make it a shooting lane too...
Old 03-04-2005, 11:54 AM

If you plant honeysuckle you will regret it forever....consider having Conservation dept help you asses property or contact your nearest NWTF ProStaffer
Old 03-05-2005, 12:22 PM

I agree with RonM this is an ideal situation. Remember habitat is what game needs. Do not open this up. Trails are fine. Do a little cull tree work, keep those oaks and fertilize. Also, fertilize any honeysuckle and vines. This is natures food plot.

Till our trails cross,

WW
ORIGINAL: RonM

Cut a couple paths thru there with a bush hog, if you cant go in with a machete, and put a little Roundup on it when it startts back growing again....make it a shooting lane too...
Old 03-05-2005, 08:14 PM

Dont let some of these people steer you wrong. DONT BURN AROUND HARDWOODS!! How many acres do you own? I suggest cutting some of it and replanting it in pines for money and for the great cutover for years. AND I DONT RECOMEND HONEY SICKLE. Deer like it but is is like kudzoo it takes everything in its site. If you controll it its fine but I dont care for Huney Sickle. With the money you get from the mature hardwoods get a new addition to the property or fix the property up. But how many acres do you own?