Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Inexpensive salt recipe/ IT WORKS!!! >

Inexpensive salt recipe/ IT WORKS!!!

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Inexpensive salt recipe/ IT WORKS!!!

Old 02-15-2005, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Inexpensive salt recipe/ IT WORKS!!!

ORIGINAL: RonM

Or you can just go buy a couple bags of your water softener salt and pour it on a stump or onto the ground or make a pit, for about $3. a bag..
Salt is salt as far as that ingredient goes. But the trace mineral salts that you can get add things that may be missing from their diet.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

Does anyone put out these:
33-1/3 Lb. Rabon Fly Control
http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp...productID=1287

I just wonder if we would be doing the deer any favors by putting these out in the spring and summer?
Old 02-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: alwyshntn

This recipe was passed onto me from a friend of mine who is a wildlife biologist. The spot he puts it on I have seen with my own two eyes and it is about 1 to 1 1/2 feet deep and about 8 ft around. This recipe costs about $23.00 and all ingredients can be found at your local feed store and best of all it makes 200lbs. Here it is:

1-part Di-Calcium Phosphates comes in a 50lb bag and costs about $11.00
2-parts Trace Mineral Salt (the red and loos kind) unmedicated 2 50lb bags for about $5.00 a piece
1-part Stock Salt (ice cream salt) 50lb bag for about $2.00

Good luck with this recipe!!! just a tip you probably already know but place close to a trail with water nearby
Another tip is depending on your acreage you hunt place towards the center of your property and don't make alot of different sites.
Something esle you can add is dried molasses. That will add to it's palatability.

Just don't add non-salt sidewalk de-icers.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:59 PM

farm hunter from what i have seen dicalcium phosphate is used alot with dairy cows to increase milk production. so i would guess it would be good for does .
And aren't antlers mostly made of calcium ?

I have read some stuff on it but couldnt tell you where.

another thing in some parts of the country the soil doesn't have the minerals needed to produce good antler growth. the supplements help overcome this.

I think the salt is just to get the deer to use it cause they like it. i have also seen where some have used jello to help deer to use the licks.

I am fixin to get mine spiced up again soon.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:22 PM

sorry about not getting right back with you crzy_hunter89 but I'm out of town with work thru the week. Anyway I would just like to say this was a recipe for those of you interested and if you don't like it don't use it. Anyway tear up a spot about 3ft wide and 4 to 6 inches deep and pour onto spot then work into soil. You can use a plastic 5 gallon bucket to mix in and use a coffee can to divide out the equal parts you need.

As far as the benefits there have been many studies done but mostly on pen raised deer and frankly I think the jurys still out.

What I do know about the different ingredients is this: Di calcium Phosphate is used in dairy cattle feed. It promotes feed digestion, weight gain, and milk production, which is beneficial to lactating does. It contains about 18 to 21 percent phosphorous and 19 to 23 percent calcium. If you look at what actually makes up a deers antler you will see that hardened antler contains 40 to 50 percent organic matter from mostly proteins while the most abundant minerals consist of calcium and phosphorous. The demands for these minerals on a daily basis can be significant in antler growth. Also, the lactating doe's milk contains high percentages of both calcium and phosphorus that they pass on to their young which in turn causes a significant mineral drain on the doe.

The trace minerals have an attractant value in them which is salt/sodium which gets the deer to utilize the mineral. But best of all it contains minerals such as magnesium and potassium which promotes a healthy herd and is not found to be in abundance in all areas and regions that are lacking in such minerals.

What makes this better than most you buy is that while it uses a salt as an attractant it is not the primary ingredent like found in most mixes.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear ya soarkrebel.

I'm just saying that most of the minerals deer and other animals take in - is through their food. We can increase Phosphorous, by fertilizing and increase calcium by adding lime. Minerals in growing plant tissue are very quickly digested and used by feeding deer. Even with supplements, most minerals are obtained this way by the deer. so its in our best ineterest to fertilize and lime.

Cows are often given mineral supplements this is true. But remember - cows eat a much more coarse diet of grasses than deer and they weigh ALOT More. Generally speaking - except that deer and cows are both ruminants - they don't have that much in common, especially in quantities of milk production. A deer's physiology is such that it can be 80 lbs and starving - but its milk production for its fawns will be near normal - its the doe that suffers - not its milk production normally - more reason to feed - not supplement.

Lastly - Again - I don't think it hurts to supplement. And it could offer some benefits - especially, possibly, to lactating does that are under nourished. But I've yet to find one study that really substantiates mineral supplements for deer - and there has been alot of them!
Old 02-17-2005, 09:28 PM

farm hunter you know i can read one article or study that says one thing and another that says another.

I have always kind of related deer like goats. we had them when i was a kid and remember we would worm them and boy they would gain weight and fill out. we also gave them minerals just like the cows and it seemed to help as i remember.

And your right it would be much better to fertilize food sources. but if i weigh the cost between liming and putting the sights out it's far cheaper to put the sites out.

And if i had a nickle for every time i have caught deer in our cattle lot getting them some of the cows mixture man i could lime!!

Anyway it gives me a good excuse to be out there enjoying just being there.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good points soarkrebel -

You are right on about being out and enjoying it all. Thats what its really all about. Its nice to know that other hunters, like yourself and many others on this site - get so much more out of hunting than just taking a deer.

FH
Old 02-18-2005, 04:52 AM

Ok last question about this. How many pounds of each ingredient should i mix. Just tell me what does this equal one part = lbs. Should i use the whole bag and mix it like that or what? thanks for helping me out!!!
Old 02-18-2005, 06:22 AM

ORIGINAL: crzy_hunter89

Ok last question about this. How many pounds of each ingredient should i mix. Just tell me what does this equal one part = lbs. Should i use the whole bag and mix it like that or what? thanks for helping me out!!!
In mixing don't worry about lbs. Just stick to the equal parts for example get a coffee can and scoop out one can of Di calcium Phoshate then 2 cans of trace minerals and finally 1 can of stock salt. Mix that together and there you have it. If thats not enough mix do it again. Just keep it at 1-2-1. The original recipe was for 200lbs. If you were to make less you would not necessarily have to buy 2 fifty pound bags of the trace mineral just keep the mix like i said 1-2-1. Good Luck with your site its alot of fun and I place mine in one of my food plots so if they do slack off on using the site itself they still have a reason to visit. This makes a awesome place to place a stand. I have several different sites on different farms and some have been there for going on 5 years and have had deer taken off of them reguarly.