Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Inexpensive salt recipe/ IT WORKS!!! >

Inexpensive salt recipe/ IT WORKS!!!

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Inexpensive salt recipe/ IT WORKS!!!

Old 02-13-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Inexpensive salt recipe/ IT WORKS!!!

This recipe was passed onto me from a friend of mine who is a wildlife biologist. The spot he puts it on I have seen with my own two eyes and it is about 1 to 1 1/2 feet deep and about 8 ft around. This recipe costs about $23.00 and all ingredients can be found at your local feed store and best of all it makes 200lbs. Here it is:

1-part Di-Calcium Phosphates comes in a 50lb bag and costs about $11.00
2-parts Trace Mineral Salt (the red and loos kind) unmedicated 2 50lb bags for about $5.00 a piece
1-part Stock Salt (ice cream salt) 50lb bag for about $2.00

Good luck with this recipe!!! just a tip you probably already know but place close to a trail with water nearby
Another tip is depending on your acreage you hunt place towards the center of your property and don't make alot of different sites.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Inexpensive salt recipe/ IT WORKS!!!

ORIGINAL: alwyshntn

Good luck with this recipe!!! just a tip you probably already know but place close to a trail with water nearby
Another tip is depending on your acreage you hunt place towards the center of your property and don't make alot of different sites.

Why not make alot of different sites?

I'm thinking the reason that you say put the site in the middle of your property is to attract and hold deer on your own property. But I have found that deer stop going to the mineral sites in September so it wouldn't seem to make a difference.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:53 AM

ok i got one question how do i make the site. do i dig a hole and if so how deep or do i move all the leaves and just pour it on the ground. Let me know and thanks alot!!!
Old 02-14-2005, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

deer really hit the mineral/salt early in the year (say ~ April-August). that's when they need it Antler growth, etc.)

is your recepie any different/better tahn the 50 lb block I can buy at the ag store for $6?? Just curious, the cost is reletively similar and no mixing.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep

deer really hit the mineral/salt early in the year (say ~ April-August). that's when they need it Antler growth, etc.)

is your recepie any different/better tahn the 50 lb block I can buy at the ag store for $6?? Just curious, the cost is reletively similar and no mixing.
I think the advantage to the loose minerals over the blocks is that with the loose the deer can get more of it faster.
And that's a good thing.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd like to see even one scientific study that shows that salt and minerals supplements truly help deer by inceasing lactation and increasing antler size.

Most real studies I've seen indicate that most people use too much salt in the mix, which makes deer thirsty. They tend to drink more, and eat less as a result. Less forage=less protein and minerals normally obtained through foraging.

The minerals in a salt/mineral supplement can be made just as readily available to the deer by ensuring that your clover plot is fertilized and limed per the soil samples. I'd rather maximize the potential of the forage the deer eat - than to try and supplement.

It can be a lot of fun setting up and maintaining a pit, and many of my freinds do this as well. I personally do not subscribe to licks for increased antler production however.

I'm not 100% against it - and I make a little pit - for the trail camera - to see what deer are using the plots.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:44 AM

ok another question..does it matter which orderyou place the minerals down? how do you do it do you dig a hole or what???? please let me know how your friend did it step by step. i have never done something like this so i dont want to mess it up. thanks alot and get back to me as soon as you can.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

there are some studies that are showing how animals (mostly livestock) can regulate their intake based on their specific needs. say you were to put out a bunch of different minerals in separate containers - they would be able to determine what they needed and eat accordiningly. so, by that rational, with a pit with a 50/50 mix of salt & mineral if the deer has an overload in salt they will not get the mineral. might be better to have diferent licks in the same general area. just a thought.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Or you can just go buy a couple bags of your water softener salt and pour it on a stump or onto the ground or make a pit, for about $3. a bag..
Old 02-15-2005, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: crzy_hunter89

ok another question..does it matter which orderyou place the minerals down? how do you do it do you dig a hole or what???? please let me know how your friend did it step by step. i have never done something like this so i dont want to mess it up. thanks alot and get back to me as soon as you can.
If you don't pre-mix the minerals at home just stir it with a stick on site.
I don't dig a hole but if you do just make a shallow hole.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive salt recipe/ IT WORKS!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.