Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

VANILLA FOR DEER!!!!

Old 02-05-2005, 12:33 PM

Default VANILLA FOR DEER!!!!

Anyone ever used vanilla for deer if so where did you get it and exactly what kind was it? Thanks alot!!!
Old 02-08-2005, 05:01 PM

Default RE: VANILLA FOR DEER!!!!

Ever heard of "Vanilla Killa"

Well old school hunters used to use regular old vanilla extract to attract deer. Been around for years.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Plain old real vanilla extract from the grocery store ,
get the cheapest bottle they have since they all smell the same . Artificial vanilla doesn't work nearly as well . Forget using vanilla for booners , it only seems to attract does and younger bucks .
Old 02-09-2005, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

I used the vanilla mixed w/ water, about 1/3 vanilla 2/3 water. I put it in a small spray bottle and sprayed it around my stand. The first nite out using the mixture I had six does and an average 8 pointer come in to investigate the smell. I was going to take one of the does when I spotted the buck comming behind the does. It got too dark to shoot and had to chase them away to climb down. I had the same results every time I used the stuff. The leaves and ceder branches that I sprayed were cleaned up each time. They seem to like the stuff. That was during the late season. I will try this again during the early season and see what happens.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:52 AM

Depending on were in the world you are hunting, smells like vanilla can bring unwanted critters in (example: bear). In the U.P. and northen lower MI, bears will quickly come to smells like vanilla. Nothing to be scared about, but they spook deer. I had a big black bear run two four points off, and not them come back in when hunting over sweet feed mix (with molasses). Just my $.02.

Erik

Rusty Axe Camp