Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What is good for attracting deer?

Old 01-25-2005, 05:18 PM

Default What is good for attracting deer?

Okay I have set up a day in august for food plot work, I have a 970 john deere with a tiller. We are going to hand seed it with a seeder. Then take a chain link fence and a atv and pack it down. Okay on with the questions, I want a cheap food source that will keep the deer coming. Im not worried about making the deer heard more healthy, but drawing deer out deer to shoot. I want a cheap plant that will be for the fall. I would like it to be in the 30 or so dollar range for 50 pounds. Then are there any alternatives to corn, the bears are killing my hunting and want something that adds the kick like corn. Dont run me down for USING CORN!
Oh yeah and I have a coyote and fox probelm and would like to solve it cheap what can I use to attract them, I have a gun and a spotlight.

Ps The food just need to draw deer from all of my 2000 + acres. Thinking about rape.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is good for attracting deer?

Rape & Rye are about as cheap it gets. Both can be excellent fall attractants. Plant with 200 lbs/acre of 0-46-00 Urea in late August - you will have a good fall plot.

FH
Old 01-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

Why don't u care about the health of the deer? I guess your just in it for the kill. Real nice!
Old 01-26-2005, 11:28 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-26-2005, 01:39 PM

If your having a problem with coyotes and fox (i don't know of fox bothering deer) get a hold of your state trappers association. You can probly get someone to do it for nothing, and work around your deer season, if they can trap when the fur is good. Trapping will not hurt the deer, and in 45 years of trapping myself I have never caught a deer. I'm not saying they haven't stepped in a trap, but it won't hold them. I know all this from taking animals off my property that I manage for deer hunting. As far as the bears you could offer hunters on it for a fee. If you don't hunt them the population will just grow.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:20 PM

Okay! The reason for not worring about the health is that we have hunters around the area that run dogs on it and tresspass and do those sort of things. They shoot a good number of little bucks too. But the reason is because I know what I plant will help. I just want an attractant that will work well for hunting over. Cant shoot bears, a co-owner likes looking at them and doesnt want me to shoot em. We planted rape before and alot of deer ate it I was just wondering what is cheap and the best! I want pure attractant! Also are there any other baits that I can use other than corn. I live in nc and can hunt over bait so dont give me he@@! I would like a rather cheap bait that I can get easily. The foxes are just a probelm to the quail and rabbits. All help is greatly apprieciated,
Thanks
Robert
Old 01-26-2005, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Robert - Sounds like you already know what you want.

You're only likely to get beat up posting questions like this on the Wildlife Management Forum. You might get get more discussion, or sympathy on the Deer Hunting general board.

FH
Old 01-27-2005, 07:15 AM

you do sound pretty cheap......