Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

biologic clover?

Old 02-03-2002, 09:20 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-08-2002, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: biologic clover?

I have had god results. Remember deer browse and when something new is introduced it takes them awhile to get used to it. When I introduced pumpkins they didn't go to it right away. But now they cannot get enough. The deer ate my biologic. Paying 20 dollars compared to right now in my area is 7.50. By it cheap.
Old 02-13-2002, 12:00 AM

RIGHT ON LUNCHBUCKET. HICKORYNUT IS LOOKING FOR ADVISE NOT ADVERTISEMENTS.
I WILL BE WATCHING FOR YOUR GUYS COMMENTS TOO AS WE ARE WORKING ON PUTTING OUT SOME FOOD PLOTS ON A HUNDRED AND TWENTY ACRES THAT HAS HAD NO WORK DONE TO IT. WE ARE WORKING WITH JUST ABOUT ALL WOODS AND IT WILL TAKE A LITTLE WORK.
Old 02-13-2002, 12:09 AM

HICKORYNUT-ALSO IF YOU HAVEN'T TRIED IT YOU NEED TO POUR SOME ROCK SALT ONTO A PIECE OF BURLAP, PULL UP THE CORNERS. TIE IT TOGETHER WITH A ROPE AND HANG IT FROM A TREE. THROW SOME SALT ON THE GROUND UNDER THE AREA WHERE THE BAG IS HANGING AND WATCH AS THE DEER TEAR THE AREA UP. THE BURLAP ROTS OUT IN A YEAR OR SO, BUT IS EASILY REPLACED AND MAKES QUITE A DEER MAGNET. TRY IT YOU'LL LIKE IT.
Old 02-13-2002, 07:35 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-14-2002, 09:09 PM

When I worked at a lawn &garden store I sold a our own custom mix called widlife mix it contained Alike clover,Med red clover,Timothy grass"hay",and ladino clover,and vernon alfalfa.I've used it and It worked well for my region. I've found that some mixes will not work in all regions,so find out the growing tolerances for each variety of seed that's in the mix.WE made a mistake one time by buying a pallet of mix that was supposed to work in all areas of the country.Well It didn't work up here in northern MN.So the best advice I could give is try to buy you local lawn&garden's custom mix if they have it,or your local feed stores mix.And another thing that works is by planting a bunch of apple trees for your area.You can buy bundles of bare roots pretty cheap/compared to buying ones in containers.
Old 02-15-2002, 05:56 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-15-2002, 10:31 AM

BSK It's true about the Timothy,but it has a thick root system so the other seeds that has a thinner root can latch on the timothy root system and also the aliske clover is really popular here, if I can remeber, it's a meduim height clover w/a larger clover head and what seems to work is Birdsfoot Trefoil.but it's pretty expensive and you need a inncollent to get it started better.I also heard that buckwheat will work also.I'm also interested in the QDM and trying new mixes this year,hope it works and if does I'll pass it on for everybody
Old 02-15-2002, 03:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-15-2002, 10:37 PM

Like I said before It's really best to buy local mixes from your local store