Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Where can I get fruit trees?

Old 01-16-2005, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default Where can I get fruit trees?

Maybe you guys can help me out...

I was wondering where some good (aka cheap) places to get some fruit trees where online? What kind of trees would you recommend for deer and turkey?

Thanks...
Old 01-16-2005, 05:32 PM

Default RE: Where can I get fruit trees?

Try doing a search for some companies on the internet; maybe you can compare prices and get a good deal. But, beware sometimes you get what you pay for. Make sure they are a reputable company.

I have planted several apple trees for the deer and turkeys on my property. Crab apples do well here, and are small enough for both the deer and the turkeys. Persimmons may also be an option, but I don't know whether they will produce that far north. Maybe someone could add to that. Cherries, pears, and most other fruit trees that humans eat the wildlife also eat. Give them a variety and abundance.

Make sure that you get some pollinator trees, if you don't have a self-pollinating variety.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-17-2005, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Here are three.

http://www.naturehills.com

http://www.gurneys.com

http://www.springhillnursery.com

Thanks, you've reminded me. We need to get some apple tree for the spring ourselves.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

[link]http://jungseed.com[/link]

This company is in Wisconsin. I have used their bare root crabapples and maples with excellent results.
I have also gotten everything from sour cherry to red pine from Michigan's Dickinson County Conservation District, but I don't think they will ship anything. I go pick it up.
Brian
Old 01-18-2005, 09:01 AM

I have used Jungseed as well and have always been very pleased with their trees. I generally go bare root with some short protectors around them to get them off to a good start. The types mentioned above are probably best for your area but I also like the wild plum and choke cherry varieties which will grow in Ohio
Old 01-19-2005, 05:20 PM

i remember when i was younger we ordered some trees from the counties court house to put on our proporty.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:23 PM

To tell you the truth I dont like fruit trees, bears seem to get them all and the plastic housings. If you dont have bear probelms they are decent but take along time to grow! Plant a food plot I say seems to work better for me!
Old 01-30-2005, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

I already plant food plots... I just wanted to supplement them.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm always surprised every year how much the turkeys at the seeds in the apples on our property. They dig in the snow along with the deer scratching out apple seeds.

For turkeys- it doesn't seem to matter what type of apple - as long as there is a lot of them (lots of seeds). For deer - they seem to really like the sweeter types - and I would rather have a type that hangs on the tree longer. We still have apples hanging in some places - these are NorthernSpy crosses for the most-part.

The cheapest I've seen apple trees - was as One year Whips - from a nursery for $10.00 each. It takes some pruning and TIME, but might be the best bet.

Next - was Walmart, and/or Chase Pitkins - AFTER the majority were sold in May. You may end up with some that will die - but you can pick them up for 1/4 to 1/2 price if any are left over.

Good luck.

FH