Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Lime

Old 01-14-2005, 06:48 PM

Default RE: Lime

Lucky to have walmart here. I looked today and found no lime. But could find no help either. Thanks for the leads. There is a lowes about an hour away.

Jeff
Old 01-15-2005, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

It is just a tad early for the stocking of those items, but come Feb. there will be stacks of them all over the place...
Old 01-15-2005, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

You can also get bagged lime from hardware or farm/ranch stores. And also from nursery or botanical types of places. I've bought ag lime from Ace hardware, and I've bought hydrated lime from a feed store. The hydrated lime is some potent potent stuff.

Don't mix it with water and spray it on your lawn if your spray nozzle is leaky. That lime will eat the skin off your hands by the next morning. Don't ask me how I know this.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hydrated lime is what you use with mortar mix or put in the outhouse at deer camp. If you use it for ag. purposes dont use but about half as much....
Old 01-20-2005, 08:50 AM
etw

Howdy LaGrange. I hunt in east Texas. Nearest town/ag.co-op is Grapleland. The
Co-op sells bulk lime at $20.00 a ton. I show up with my pick-up truck and a couple empty 55 gallon drums and several 5 gallon buckets. The drums are in the truck
They scoop up the lime and dump it on top of my 5 gallon buckets all lined up in a group settin on the ground.
I then fill up one and a half drums with the buckets. I've found that 1 and 1/2 drums is about 1100 pounds, about all I want to deal with on any one trip. I spread the lime by the bucket load, by hand. (use gloves, sweat and lime can get nasty). I have three 1/4 acre plots that I started three different years so they require lime on different years. The plots are labor intensive but I enjoy it. I use a garden tractor to mow and drag a piece of chain link fence after "plowing" with a garden tiller. My soil test indicated 4000 lbs of lime per acre. 1/4 acre 1000 pounds or one trip to the co-op. Hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

A couple of years ago I was spreading lime with a shovel out the back of a pickup. I had the radio on. "Baba O'Reily" by The Who came on. You probably know it as that Teenage Wasteland song. I came up with new lyrics to the song.

Our here in this field
I hunt for my meals,
I get right back into my duckblind.
I don't need to flinch
Or shoot to the right,
I don't need to be missing.

Don't fly
Don't raise your eye
It's only private huntland.

Should I take this shot
This shot will mean alot.
Click off the safety
Raise it to my shoulder.
The birds are getting near
The time to fire is here.
Get it all together
And drop something with feathers.

Private hunt land
It's only private hunt land.
Private hunt land
Private hunt land.
We're all hunting!
Old 02-13-2005, 07:22 PM

The first step is definitely the test because to much lime in your soil is as bad as not enough. If too much is present it takes salt to balance out your ph. Your on the right track though because now is the time of year to get it done.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

If you are fortunate enough to live by a sugar beet plant you can probably get lime cheap.
My plant sells any size load for twenty bucks. If you come in with a wheel barrow - 20 bucks,
pick up truck -20 bucks, dump truck -20 bucks. I came in with a double bottom semi truck and
paid - 20 bucks. If memory serves me I got 100 tons on that load. Now i did have to hire someone
with a semi but that was only 100 bucks; so my lime was a little more than a dollar a ton delivered (not spread).