Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Imperial Whitetail Clover

Old 01-09-2005, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Imperial Whitetail Clover

M&M is owned by the state , we till the ground. Matarese just recently passed away. A couple years ago I was chopping stalks behind his house and he walked out to the field to talk a few minutes. Still a few geese around the area, mostly Snows right now, I say we till that, I help the Wilsons, they have the grain dryer about a mile or so N. of M&M. and till around 6,000 acres.......
Old 01-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-09-2005, 10:46 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-09-2005, 05:15 PM

Looks heathy! No need to mow. How does it produce come gunning season.
ORIGINAL: early riser

NOTE again, the height of the clover inside the control cage which shows just how much the deer have eaten off this clover field!

Needless to say, our deer EAT GOOD at Crabapple.

early riser
Old 01-09-2005, 05:21 PM

If you know the Matarese then you know his boy and grandsons. They live in Pennsville, NJ where I live. They own the best shooting preserve in the area barring none. 1400 acres. All the Delaware boys come to shoot both game and sporting clays. He's made that farm what it is today. Good man, too. Boys of his are good, kids. My boy is friends with them. Your talking about his dad. I met him back in the 80's when I worked for them at the preserve. He was also a good fellow.
ORIGINAL: RonM

M&M is owned by the state , we till the ground. Matarese just recently passed away. A couple years ago I was chopping stalks behind his house and he walked out to the field to talk a few minutes. Still a few geese around the area, mostly Snows right now, I say we till that, I help the Wilsons, they have the grain dryer about a mile or so N. of M&M. and till around 6,000 acres.......
Old 01-13-2005, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wild . we have a game dinner at Leipsic Firehouse, the first Monday in March every year and they send over Pheasants, or at least used to for the dinner. I've heard about the place over in Joisey.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'd stay away from Dutch white. if it is the same stuff I am thinking of, it is a native clover that grows very low and doesn't produce high yeilds. if you are going to plant something go with Ladino clover & maybe some red. Ladino can be a bit pricey ($4-5/#). I'm not sure how that compares with Imperial. However, you don't need many #/acre. I would say no more than 5#/ac. (maybe a bit more). We generally recommend 1-3 for pasture planting with grass. there are a lot of seeds in a pound of Ladino (871,000) and they go a long way.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:46 AM

we use this clover and it attracks deer very well and is very easy to grow it practically grows on it own with no work involved liked weeding or cutting. we also dont cut ours we just let the deers eat it..