Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 How to Stop Tree Stumps From Resprouting >

How to Stop Tree Stumps From Resprouting

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

How to Stop Tree Stumps From Resprouting

Old 01-09-2005, 05:57 PM

Default RE: How to Stop Tree Stumps From Resprouting

when ever im in the woods and cutting things that i dont want to grow back i carry a spray bottle of diesel and give it a little squiert. but if you dont think that that is to safe you could go a more expensive route and use herbisides.i have never had any trouble with the diesel like spreading and killing everthing. i wouldnt suggest using allot on one stump unless you want everthing dead.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:29 PM

I always use tordon when cutting trees out of fence lines. I think its only like 10-20 dollars for a half gallon and it doesn't take much at all to keep the tree from regrowing
Old 01-11-2005, 10:11 AM

Pour salt on the stumps. This will keep them from sprouting.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:03 AM
etw

Stump Out is the way to go. I cut several trees around our cabin then drilled holes and poured in the Stump Out. Took about three years for them to rot to the point I could just push them over.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:53 PM

Are you doing any burning in the area you are clearing? I found by piling leaves, sticks over stump and burning, it will stop any new growth. I do have a 'hoe and have pulled a lot of stumps with it, I hope you don't have any Mimosa stumps. One large one I pulled with the 'hoe was an eyeopener. I had the ground dug up over a 30 ft. dia. getting the large roots out. I now burn them and wait for them to rot. I have cut slots in the top w/chainsaw and poured Ammon. nitrate in the slots. It seems to work also. (I take advantage of what a lot say about overfertilizing a tree will kill it.)

Russ
Old 01-12-2005, 05:50 PM

Spray them with Tordon RTU. I do alot of tree cutting when i work for my dad during the summer, and when i cut around fence rows, like taking out saplings and other small trees, i spray the stumps with Tordon RTU, from Dow Agrisciences. The stuff is toxic as the dickens, i just have to dab a little on and the stumps a goner. in the woods, id let them sprout. they'll grow up to be big trees some day.

slayer