Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Lime on grass question

Old 12-23-2004, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Lime on grass question

My field has overgrown grass in it. (1) Anyway, can I just lime on top of it? I don't care if it kills the grass, I just want to sweeten the soil. (2) Also, should I use pellets or some other form of lime for working as quickly as possible? Right now, I am going to lime a small area to test the No Plow and Extreme Biologic stuff to see how it comes up before doing the whole field.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lime on grass question

Doug; you can just spread the lime but it won't work as well as working it in. The lime doesn't dissolve like urea or potash. It takes contact between the lime and soil acids for the neutralizing reaction to take place. It's actually good that the limestone doesn't just dissolve or limestone escarpments like Niagara Falls wouldn't exist. The same is true of phosphorus fertilizer. People spread it on top of their grass not realizing that it takes about 6+ years of fertilizing to work it's way down 6". The good thing is that it doesn't leach out of the soil.

Dan O.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dan, would you recommend killing the grass first, or otherwise getting it out of there? It is rocky without much topsoil, and I don't have heavy machinery at my disposal. I plan to do the 100 square foot practice samples before committing to do more.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Buy an Agri- Fab spinner spreader and use pelletized lime, you can pull the spreader with your ATV. You dont have to kill the grass at that time and the lime will enhance the growth of it. If you are going to use ground burnt limestone then you need a drop spreader. Remember lime is applied at tons/ acre. start with about 12 bags up around the house, see how that does..... Spreader will cost about $125. Pelletized lime is about $2.65 a bag at Lowes....Also you could buy a small disc at Lowes to break up the soil for $148.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe I will try it out somehow without investing in that equipment until I know I can get it going good. I will talk to you about specifics later, but want to get lime on it ASAP so I can get something to come up by fall...
Old 12-23-2004, 05:19 PM

Doug, have you checked the ph of the soil to see if it needs to be limed? If the ph is higher than a 6 it does not need the lime. Get a soil test first to see the rate of lime per acre you need depending upon the plants you are going to grow.

Then, if you need lime contact a local farming supply store; they will spread it with a truck if it is accessible. If it is not accessible than maybe a local farmer could spread it for you.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Criggster,

I had the soil tested about 6 years ago, and it came back at 3.7 or 3.9, very acidic. Then about 4 years ago, I cut down the trees in that 3/4 of an acre or so spot, and three years ago had the trees pushed off. The guy who did that planted orchard grass (against my wishes), which is growing ok. The soil is rocky, and it's sandy loam. It is accessible if the truck isn't so big. I have had 20 foot flatbeds back in there, but the main restrictions are width and height.

There isn't much topsoil there, but doesn't the fact the orchard grass is doing ok mean that it can support other plants/grasses too, considering it is limed and fertilized adequately. I realize it will take time to sweeten the soil to above 6, and that I shouldn't plant anything until the soil is sweetened considerably.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:55 PM

Doug, you should get a more recent soil test to see what the ph is now; it has probably increased. If you get the soil test from your local USDA service center it will be for the specific plant you want to grow. And, will tell you the amount per acre for lime, nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium.

As for the depth of topsoil, it depends on what you are growing. Each plant requires a different amount of topsoil; because of the depth and surface area of the roots. You mentioned that you have a rocky, sandy, loam. But do you know that it is shalow because you are going to bedrock, or hitting a good size rock that is floating in the soil itself? In sandy loam soil there need to be sufficient water to keep the roots hydrated during a dry year so keep that in mind when choosing a plant to grow. Good Luck.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Criggster,

Good point about the PH level changing. I hope with grass growing the past few years, the PH level has increased. Is that what you think probably has happened? I will test it again to be sure. I said not much topsoil because after only a few inches of dirt/sand, it becomes pretty much sand, and others with experience in planting have also said that about the land there (at 2,600 feet, sea shell fossils are common). I will definately try to plant things that will do well in the soil and conditions I have there, and will test out different plants to see which several work best.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:03 PM

If that soil tested 3.9 4 yrs. ago, it'd be quite surprizing if it is any more than 5 at the present time. It takes a bunch of lime to push it over that magic 7 number. As for that thin topsoil, plant some iron clay peas, or Austrian winter peas and work any fodder left in the spring, Till it in. Building up the topsoil will be your hardest chore.

Russ

Quick Reply: Lime on grass question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.