Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

all does

Old 11-16-2004, 07:45 AM
Spike

Default RE: all does

I see you are from Indiana, Bobby5. I am from Indiana also, and I hunt my own property of 90 acres. I have hunted this property since I bought it in 1984, and have never killed a doe on it. Every year I take bucks. When a buck was legal in both archery and gun season, I took 2 bucks. It is true that young bucks leave their home range. I don't know if this is because does chase them off or not. It really doesn't matter, because one has to assume that young bucks in surrounding areas leave their home range also, and more than likely some of them will end up on your hunting property. I see lots of does, but also lots of bucks. The season is only 3 days old, and I passed up 6 bucks already. All were 1 1/2 year old bucks except one. He was an older buck with a deformed antler. I am patient, and eventually one will come buy that I will take. When the rut is in, does attract bucks. This is evident by all the activity in the woods with does running around, being chased by bucks. Some bucks I see only once during the season, some I see more often. I assume the ones that are seen only once are bucks brought in from surrounding areas by the does during the rut. It seems like on my property the doe to buck ratio has stayed the same thru the years, even though I have never killed a doe on it. I read and hear all the arguments about killing does etc. , but remember that if it wasn't for does, there would be no bucks. I don't know if older does are less productive or not. I read somewhere that the oldest known case of a doe having fawns was 18 year old one. She was in captivity. I don't think that any doe in the wild lives to be that age. As stated by one of the replys, some of the so called does that you are seening are probably button bucks. You have to make your own judgement on this. In Indiana, the deer have a good food supply, and most areas can support a lot of deer.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Based on what I know about deer herds in almost all parts of the country I'm saying that it's almost never a bad idea to shoot a few does.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:24 PM
Pit

Take a few Does, it is very important for the well being of the herd. Remember CDC.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

I am sure I probably overlooked it but no one has metioned the fact that a doe can eat more or less a ton of food a year wouldn't you rather a buck have that to eat than a doe. Plus like others have metioned all those doe's should be breaking up when the rut starts.

By the way what ever you choose good luck!
Old 11-20-2004, 03:49 PM

Shoot the does. They are tasty.
I too would have to question the idea of the does running off yearling bucks. I'm sure some of the button bucks are pushed away from the doe but a yearling is old enough and been on his own except for bachelor groups. I will have to look up the articles that refer to the research on does pushing off other deer. It's been awhile since I read it.

Good Luck
Old 11-25-2004, 07:20 PM

this right here reading this just makes me wanna kill every damn doe on my property in hopes of lowering it so much that next year if i find a doe or two chances are good that a buck will be very near!
Old 12-07-2004, 02:07 AM

The old farmer mentality of taking bucks only, overdevelopment of land/farms and a lack of natural predators has gotten us where we are now, in several areas of Maryland. The county I live in has probably a 10:1 doe to buck ratio. Through QDM we have lowered the number on our property (700 acres) to 2 or 3:1. We have done this over the last 5 years by antler restrictions. Only one buck per hunter with 8 points or more. No basket racks. If a hunter takes a button buck, even by accident, it counts as his buck. This has led to less yearlings taken. Also any hunter who takes a buck and does not take 2 does will not be allowed back the next year. The taking of does is essential to a healthy herd. Look at all the problems/whining in PA right now. While it's nice to go out and see 10 deer every time you go to the stand, that is not a healthy population. After 5 years of mgmt we are starting to see some enormous bucks.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree you need to shoot some doe, but as discussed be selective. No BB's!! Also, let those buck grow!!