Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

I got my Oats in.

Old 09-13-2004, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I got my Oats in.

It looks great. Make sure you overlap with your plotmaster and that should eliminate most of the "striping".
Brian
Old 09-13-2004, 01:54 PM

That looks very impressive! I wish I could make mine like that. I think I have no idea what I am doing out there, I even have a tractor!
Old 09-13-2004, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks real good going into hunting season.

Have you seen any deer in it yet? Remember - try to not hunt the plot - back off it if you can and hunt the staging areas or corridoors - Its easy to burn a out a plot - and make it nocturnal.

Good luck - And thanks alot for posting back - We all enjoy seeing the progression of a plot - especially a new plot - like the "extreme".
Old 09-14-2004, 06:37 AM
Typical Buck

That looks really good! You should be proud of your accomplishment. If it looks like you got a good weed kill, your oats area may set you up well for a frost seeding of a good brassica/clover planting, or just clover, or just brassica....should be lots of dirt exposed for you.

Looks great!
Old 09-14-2004, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I was a lot of work and I am very happy with the results. As far as hunting it we are planning on hunting the trails leading to it back about 100-150 yards into the woods. The only gun hunting pressure it will get will be short and everyone will be out with guns so all the deer go nocturnal.[:@]

There are alot of deer tracks in the plots but I have not seen anything in them. We start bow season Saturday so we will be out there then. From one stand I hope to hunt Saturday night if conditions are right I can see this plot. It is along ways away but I can at least see if anything is coming out in the day light.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well just an update. Our WI opener was yesterday. My son sat just down hill (to the right) of this plot on Saturday night. He was about 150 yards from it. He actually was hunting some different trails where we had seen deer all summer. Well I guess he is mad at me because this plot has changed the deer patterns. While he sat there 12 deer (all doe and fawns) were in the oats. We don't want to hunt right on the plot so we are going to try to set up on the trails coming in. Guess the deer really do like the oats. We already know where we are going to plant another plot next fall.