Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Fall 2004 Rye Cover Crop -Oct 2 update >

Fall 2004 Rye Cover Crop -Oct 2 update

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Fall 2004 Rye Cover Crop -Oct 2 update

Old 09-12-2004, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fall 2004 Rye Cover Crop - planted

We received 2" of rain since the Rye was planted. The field "Popped" about 5 days after planting. Here is a picture 8 days after planting. The broadcast & disked in Rye seemed to have a density of about 1 seed per 2-3" - I'm pretty happy about that.

I think the seed seemed to germinate a little faster than I'm used to - It could be because of the Urea spread at planting - but the heavy rain helped too no doubt.

Its tough to beat Rye for an attraction plot - its one of the easist plots going, and can be done with very little expense.

FH
Old 09-13-2004, 08:04 AM

Looks great FH. I think I am gonna run down to the local seed shop right now to see if they have any winter rye. I am going to NAPA to get 8 gallons of transmission fluid for the MF135 anyways
Old 09-14-2004, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

It's amazing how fast that rye grows!

One thing great about rye for this time of year is to broadcast on an existing plot that either didn't grow very well, or the deer have consumed. The rye is incredibly hardy and germinates great just by broadcasting.....a great way to salvage a field for hunting season if you need to. My 2 acre brassica field has been getting hammered so about 2 weeks ago I spread 200#'s of rye on it to offset the potential loss for later in the season. I've done that the last few years after having a brassica field basically sit and be a bunch of stems for the majority of the season on a particular plot.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:03 AM

Quick question for you. Does 50lbs of winter rye at $21.99 before tax sound reasonable? You said you got yours cheap, am I buying these from the wrong place?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2004, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

No way! That is a terrible price. I got mine from the local feed mill for $9.90/100#. So 200# cost me $19.80. Look somewhere else.
Brian
Old 09-14-2004, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

Terrible price!

Make sure you are not getting rye grass......but rye grain. You should be getting an annual, not perrenial, and it should look about the size, or slightly fatter than a piece of rice.....not like grass seed.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:52 AM

Ahh, thank you very much gents! Thats the problem, I got the GRASS, it said it on the bag...I am new to this so feel free to hit me on the back of my head

Well, looks like I need to return this bag and see where I could find the rye grain.

Thanks again!
Old 09-15-2004, 08:09 PM
Typical Buck

Arman,

Very, very easy mistake! Before I knew better I almost did the same thing but the price scared me away. Worst thing was the guy was telling me it was what I wanted, needed for deer, and was better than the annual rye.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: NorthJeff

Arman,

Very, very easy mistake! Before I knew better I almost did the same thing but the price scared me away. Worst thing was the guy was telling me it was what I wanted, needed for deer, and was better than the annual rye.
Thanks Jeff, the same thing happened to me when I went to return it. The lady insisted that it was the right 'stuff' for deer. I told her that this is not what I wanted and asked for my money back. She tried to sell me some other mumbo-jumbo for $18/50# bag. I kindly told her I needed annual rye grains, not grass seed and that the price should be way lower than that. I know I am young and new to this, but little did she know I had my buddies here telling me what I really need

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-18-2004, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

9-18-04 - 2 Weeks after planting.

Starting to see deer tracks in it now, still not a lot of "grazing" yet - I don't expect much until after the first frosts - We still haven't had one yet.

Quick Reply: Fall 2004 Rye Cover Crop -Oct 2 update

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.