Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Hardy Persimmons

Old 08-13-2004, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hardy Persimmons

Farm Hunter; this link is for persimmons that are hardy to -30 F. They should work at your farm.

http://oikostreecrops.com/eatnative.htm

Dan O.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hardy Persimmons

I looked into purchasing Persimmons on my land in SE WI, on the fringe of zone 4-5. The place I might have bought from admitted that on average only 1 in 10 of there trees were female. Thus recommended purchasing at least 10 trees to insure polination for viable fruit. Is there a way to tell if Persimmon trees purchased are male or female?? You do need both in a planting area. This could be an issue if planted trees are too spread out. With Kiwi trees there is a way to tell male from female trees. I would like to learn more about this before attempting a persimmon planting.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Dan,

I've ear-marked the site - I'd like to get some Currants and Gooseberrys too, I see that they are fairly inexpensive when young, and I have a lot of time for them to grow.

We had plums, blackberry, Rasberry, currants, goosberry, apples & concord grapes at the old homestead - Most are gone now - it would be nice to get them back - I'm curious about the Persimmons too, and will have to try them.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

1sagittarius; My seedling persimmons have worked out the other way. I have 5 females and 1 male. Ther is one sure method of determining the sex: plant grafted varieties. My seedling trees don't drop fruit until after frost while a variety that I have called "Early Golden" ripens in mid September about a month before 1st frost. Some varieties have male and female flowers:

http://www.grimonut.com/section5.htm#catsec5

Ernie (from the nursery) says that they can only handle zone 6 but I'm still experimenting.

Dan O.