Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Best Seed for New Clearing?

Old 08-03-2004, 10:52 AM

Default Best Seed for New Clearing?

Need help with a SEED selection for some new Food Plots. I would like to put some nutrients in the Soil and need something easy to scatter after the Dozer is finished. I hope to offer something for the Deer to feed on in Fall/Winter, but won't have a lot of time to prep the soil. I do plan to plant more nutricious perrenials next year after disc, lime, etc. ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE? The plot sizes are 1/4 and 1/2 acre.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best Seed for New Clearing?

I don't think you can beat annual rye. Attractive in the fall and winter, and will grow on the worst of soils. In fact, after the dozer is out of there, and you broadcast, you should experience very good germination.

Have fun!
Old 08-03-2004, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff is right - Rye will grow on all but the very toughest of soils. Its perfect for clearings or log landings.

One reason I really like Rye - that you do not hear about alot - is that it throws down a Huge, deep root system when fall planted. The roots can reach over 3 ft down, even on poor soil - and will "bring up" nutrients long ago leached into the soil.

Rye is always en excellent choice for a clearing plot.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:53 PM

I also plant rye ,along with oats.deer love them both.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:55 PM
ndn

What kind of rye do you guys get. I thought there was 2 differnt kinds but I don't what the differnce is.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

Make sure you get annual rye, not perinial rye grass. If your ph is O.K., oats are a great combination seed with rye but you will want to cover them a little bit. This plot was limed and sprayed 7/4/2003 and then fertalized, tilled, and planted with a rye/Buck Forage Oats combo on 8/3/2003. The soil is a very sandy loam, and started with a ph in the low 4's. 4 tons of lime per acre was used and the picture is approximately the middle of September, only a little over 2 months from being limed, and a little over 1 month from being planted.

Old 08-04-2004, 09:03 AM
etw

Rye GRAIN (not grass) 75lbs ac with Oats 25 lbs ac. OR Rye 60lbs ac, Oats, 10 lbs ac and wheat 20 lbs ac Rye is an excellent cereal grain to include in a cool season forage combination because of its cold hardiness. Grains that can supplement rye in a combination plot include oats and wheat; however, rye should constiture at least two-thirds of the small grain component.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:08 AM

Is Rye Grain the same as WINTER RYE? The feed store told me to go with Winter Rye (which is an annual).

I was going to fix some Oats in as well.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2004, 09:30 AM
etw

Winter rye, rye grain same stuff, annual.