HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Honeysuckle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/67555-honeysuckle.html)

deergrower 07-29-2004 08:40 PM

Honeysuckle

Does anyone know how to go about transplanting Japanese Honeysuckle any help please?

Wooddust 07-30-2004 07:10 AM

RE: Honeysuckle

If you transplant honeysuckle you need to get two answers....how do I kill it?....HS is like owning a boat...a guy is happy when he plants it and happy to see it all dead a few years later...

What are you trying to accomplish with HS? and maybe we can come with a better choice.

fshafly2 07-31-2004 05:08 AM

Deergrower
- Japanese HS is near and dear to me, but it is considered an alien, noxious weed. HS is easily controlled in fields by regular, close mowing. But once it is established along woodland edges, it will be difficult to control short of nuking everything. HS can be bad news, as I regularly have to "rescue" my persimmon, dogwood, and crabapples from its grip.
- However, honeysuckle is a preferred winter food source for deer here in So MD. I manage hedgerows and woodland edges to promote HS, trimming out shading overgrowth and fertilizing it (10-10-10) in the summer. I don't have to transplant it as it will spring up anywhere I don't mow. IF you do want to transplant it, I suggest you try burying part of a vine a few feet from the end in a small pot - the vine roots when it touches soil. Once rooted, cut it free and move to wherever.
R/fsh

Robertesq1 08-02-2004 04:52 PM

Japanese HS is known for its agressive growth, maybe an american variety might serve your purposes do a google on honey suckle and you will learn alot, I did.

Russ otten 08-02-2004 07:07 PM

I have the good ole American variety in my timber. It's not as aggressive, but will climb over fences, brush, etc. every chance it can. I haven't had to fertilize it as it does fine as it is. It definitely helps the deer through the winter months. I also have a @#$%## vine called a Cat Brier that the deer feed on too. It gets large spines that will go through heavy canvas if you try and bull your way through it. But the deer love the tender ends. Back to HS; if you plant it, you'll wish you hadn't. the local variety is bad enough.

Russ

timbercruiser 08-02-2004 07:40 PM

This weekend one of the hunting shows addressed planting of honeysuckle. They suggested a ph of 5.7. After they tilled a row they planted the honeysuckle plugs (available at nurseries) at about 1 1/2 feet, then took a piece of dog wire fence 6' tall and made a rounded cage over the young plants to protect them from the deer and rabbits till it gets established. As the honeysuckle grows out of the wire it makes a good food area. They planted a row about 50' long it looked like.

1sagittarius 08-13-2004 06:18 AM

Honeysuckle trelis/cage

This place uses Japanese Honeysuckle in its feeding system/cage

www.rackbuck.com