Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

QDM or not?

Old 07-25-2004, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: QDM or not?

Your doing good, continue to talk it up - and lead by example. QDM is a ways off for you, but your actions will help you get there. Your neighbors will notice - as will your hunting partners. leave articles on doe harvest laying around - and do your best to uphold you personal goals.

Still - though you might not take a 4 point - its important that you do not beat up your buddy for doing so. You should give him or her a big high five and be happy for them. At the same time, remember your goals and strive to meet them - don't be shy about telling others your goals - but DO NOT try cramming them down another's throat - especially if its family. - Afterall - is Deer Hunting - and in the end, you'll remember the times spent with your family, and a few special deer.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be surprised if there were many bucks walking the woods where I am that are over 3 years old. I must have seen 10 bucks last years and only one was old and big enough to shoot. Too many people shooting whatever walks in front of them.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

What are the essentials of QDM?

Many focus on mandatory AR's and habitat improvement. Hunters and property owners that are for or against QDM use both of these points as there support. Some that don't own land say QDM can't be for them, because they can't practice habitat improvement. Some also say that QDM isn't for them because they don't care for mandatory AR's. But is either a must for an
effective QDM plan? Sure, a QDM plan is enhanced at times by the above two aspects, but is it essential?

QDM is:
1.Adequate Buck Age Structure

2.Populations maintained below the carrying capacity of the land

3.Adequate sex ratios

Notice I did not mention habitat improvement, or mandatory AR's. Mandatory AR's and habitat improvement are great tools, but are not essential to the effective establishment of a QDM plan. The above three though, can not be left out. For example: You can use habitat improvement to raise your property's carrying capacity, but it still boils down to "carrying capacity". Your populations must be maintained below the carrying capacity
of the land in order for your QDM plan to be successful. Regardless of what you do to your land, or public land for that matter, if you follow the proper carrying capacity, you are practicing QDM. Simply, you can practice QDM without habitat improvement, but you can't practice QDM without maintaining your population in balance with the carrying capacity of the land. That's why carrying capacity balance is essential, but habitat improvement is not.

Also, on mandatory AR's. It doesn't matter how you do it, but a more balanced buck age structure needs to be attained, easily achieved by protecting around 80% of your yearling bucks. You can have a successful QDM plan without AR's, but you can't have one without the promotion of an adequate buck age structure. This is where it can get kind of sticky. PA recognized, as well as many other parts of the country, that voulantary protection wasn't working, and wouldn't work, especially at a noticable rate, so they developed an effective AR that would protect at least 80% of all yearlings. But is a mandatory AR an essential for QDM? No. Can it be very effective? Yes.

Simply, you can practice QDM without AR's, but you can't practice QDM without the protection of yearling bucks.

Those 3 points above are the essentials for a successful QDM plan. There are many other positive aspects that can be incorporated into your plan, especially the use of habitat improvement. Many other aspects are also a part of the QDMA, including education, cooperation with law enforcement, youth involvement, and stewardship. Habitat improvement is probably the biggest aspect, and it is an awesome tool to help a landowner further enjoy his or her property on an entirely different level, a level I strongly encourage. But regardless of what you do, or don't do, the above 3 essentials have to take place for a QDM plan to be successful.

That is why QDM is effective anywhere in the country, on any type of property. You get the above 3 essentials to take place, and you have an effective QDM plan.

Brian Murphy commented to me by e-mail a while back.....

"Certainly, habitat improvement can greatly enhance the success of a QDM program as can mandatory antler restriction programs. While protection of yearling bucks is the most direct approach to QDM, an older buck age structure also can be achieved by simply reducing the total buck harvest (e.g., a quota). In these cases, harvesting a few yearling bucks will not prevent QDM success."

So, the 3 essentials of QDM are:

1. Adequate Buck Age Structure

2. Populations Maintained below the carrying capacity of the land

3. Adequate Sex Ratios

It's all about balance.....really quite simple. Balanced in age structure, balance in carrying capacity, balance in sex ratios. Set up a harvest plan to strive for balance, and you have QDM, whether it's on private land, or public. QDM is QDM wherever you address those 3 essentials....no more, no less.

Now, that all being said, realistic expectations need to be set. I've never hunted on a piece of property, even on the most pressured properties I've ever hunted, where you could not key on a good 2.5 year old buck every single year. A nice little 15" 8-point, 7 point, whatever just a good 2.5 year old buck. Strive for that 2.5 year old every year, keep your does in line, practice what habitat improvement you can afford and have time for, have some fun and who knows, you may get a crack at the allusive 3.5 year old every few years.

Good Luck!
Old 07-27-2004, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Jeff, I'm always impressed with how well your posts are written. I enjoy reading them.
Brian
Old 07-30-2004, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

NorthJeff:

Thanks for that excellent and thorough response. I'm meeting everyone down there in the morning for a "work day." I'll bring this up then.

Thanks again.