Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Need reccommendations for books or sites >

Need reccommendations for books or sites

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Need reccommendations for books or sites

Old 06-30-2004, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need reccommendations for books or sites

Any reccommendations for books or sites with information on wildlife management?? I am not just interested in food plots but habitat development including mast, den and cover.

Thanks, Robert
Old 06-30-2004, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Need reccommendations for books or sites

Join the Quality Deer Management Association. Great magazines that deal with whitetail management. I don't think you will be disappointed.

www.qdma.com
Old 06-30-2004, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

timbercruiser:

Thanks, but I'm actualy intersted in small game as well, not just deer specific.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Robert,

What you'll find is that managing habitat for deer will benifit and provide cover for many, many, small game species. Just in the last issue of Quality Whitetails there was an excellant article on identifying and various stages of oak tree dominance and successful management of oak stands for ultimate production.

What ends up happening in habitat managment is that if you manage for a specific small game species, you get just that...habitat for JUST that small game species. But, on the other hand, if you manage your property for deer, you will benifit most ALL your small game species, and you can then do a few minor things to meet the needs of targeted small game species. Basically, managing habitat for deer may actually give you more of a "Big Picture", than you may be thinking.

For example, the openings I make in my tag alders provide awesome nesting habitat for woodcock and I have an abundant supply. The hinge-cutting and clearcutting practices I carry out provide great cover for my local snowshoe population as well as grouse. The food plots I create and maintaine provide very high nutrition for my snowshoe population, and the brush from the food plot creations is piled and provides nesting and security cover for the snowshoes as well. The wildlife openings create natural dusting areas for the local grouse. Also, with the abundant small game on the property, I have a good bobcat population, as well as coyote, and the beauty is there is so much small game I don't experience very high predation rates on the fawn crop. Not to mention the verious birds that I couldn't even pretend to identify that benifit from the verious aged stand of timber and edge habitat on the property that is a result of sound deer habitat management practices.

Quality Whitetails Magazine
Neil Dougherty's book, "Grow em Right"
Ed Spinnazola's book, "Food Plots 1-2-3"

and you can probably lots of info from the National Wild Turkey Federation
Old 07-01-2004, 10:40 AM

http://www.sfasu.edu/forestry/kroll/deer.html

Dr. James C. Kroll, books and videos...

These are some very detailed books starting with the habitate management and biology of a whitetail... It will explain why you want certain food plots and or certain clear cuts or selective cuts...

Highly recommended...
Old 07-01-2004, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whitetail management is NOT the same as wildlife management. So don't pretend it is please. You have it backwards. Wildlife management will benefit whitetails....but not always vice versa.

Robert: It's nice to see someone taking a somewhat more holistic approach to wildlife management rather than being concerned only with monster whitetails. My advice would be to visit your local University, Natural Resouce Conservation Service office, State game agency office or another resource management agency. They can give you many scientific articles, studies, brochures and other good information and point you to other sources. You can probably speak with a wildilfe biologist who can answer specific questions for you.

Their information is more reliable than alot of information found on the web.

If you have specific questions I can try to help you just email me or pm me.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:16 AM

I agree its nice to see somone taking a big picture approach...but you have a lot of reading ahead of you.

I would do a trip to a good library and use the library search computer.

Many times, especially on line, people become very focused on one specifi outcome and then believe that is "Wildlife Management". I would suggest you look at your study like a funnel. At the mouth of the funnel you have books on plants, animals, soils, ....the whole ecology.

As you progress down, you can focus on Quail, or deer, or furbearers or what have you as your interests dictate.

My approch has involved study of native and introduced as well as invasive and exotic species, understanding of bio diversity as relates to ecosystem vibrancy, soils and soil and water management, native animals, etc.

What you will discover is that if we attempt to do nothing but manipulate the ecosystem/farm/ranch for one specific goal, you can throw it out of balance for other potential species.

But, if you take a long term view and focus on a building diversity of habitat approach...essentially undoing the bad stuff that has been done by man...and replacing it with naturally occuring and benefitial plants, you can accomplish far more.

Food plots are not a wildlife management approch, they are more designed to assist in attracting and holding specific species however, reintroducing appropriate food componants may be a very important part of a broad sweeping habitat plan.

Good luck!
Old 07-02-2004, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the insightful replys, they deserve a more lengthy explanation.

I recently acquired 100 acres of land in the hudson vally area of NY. It has 80 acres of woods and 20 acres in three fields. The land has been extensively managed for whitetail deer for many years. There exist seperate food plot items for yearlong sustenance (I've learned the field of bitter beets is for late winter food). There is old growth, un managed clearings, large mast producing oaks and old apple trees. wet areas, and conifer stands as well. It is filled not only with deer and turkey but has coyote and bobcats and I've seen skunks possum and raccon as well.

I have an appointment with a NYS DEC forester for any suggestions and also hope for some advice with respect to which species of trees to plant along the boundries of one of my fields (It seems my neighbor has a teenager who motocrosses alot and who seems be very fuzzy regarding the property boundries).

I have not seen too many rabbits and no grouse and was wondering about projects which might provide greater wildlife diversity and the carring capacity of the land.

I have purchased some reference materials from Cornell University regarding limiting factors such as den and cover and thought the braintrust from this site might provide some additional ideas.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm headed out of town at the moment but by tuesday I will post some suggestions for you. I need time to research and craft a reply.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:20 AM

Sounds like a great opportunity.

Generally, I always advise that its best to go slowly....read and learn all you can before you start into major projects. Remember that anytime you disturb soil in a habitat like yours, the first thing that will show up will be invasive plants and noxious weeds like thistles. So soil disturbance should be minimized.

Second, be careful on your dependence on herbicides. One common thread I see in internet sites is a complete lack of understanding of rates, product selection, and application. Its not enough to know that Poast kills grass....you need to know what kind of grass, in what crop, and when is application best done...Equally important is remember the diversity of plants is always the best situation for diverse species....so if you have grass in your clover...so what?

Your edge habitat for bunnies and grouse....its likely planting is not your best first option. Consider dropping small trees, actually hinge cutting where you cut 2/3- 3/4 through and push it over so its laying down but maintains its ability to live...This is a wonderful edge habitat tool as it creates cover without being a home for predators. It also provides awesome nesting and cover year around.

Use native plants as much as possible...they are adapted to your climate, soils, and situation. Don't fall for every marketing gimic and claim you read. I'm forever amazed at un supported claims such as the protein content of some new super clover vs. a clover we have grown for years....or how a common plant used in agriculture gets a "new name" and suddenly the cost to you doubles cause its in a small bag that says "whitetailsuperduper grower".

Most important...do nothing until you have a goal and a plan that is based on real fi=eld observations. I usually recommend two years of observation time to determine what is andhat isnt present on the property and if that is different from neighboring property or the region.

Quick Reply: Need reccommendations for books or sites

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.