Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Kinda weird question

Old 06-01-2004, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Kinda weird question

I've posted here many a time, but this is the 1st time for this kind of post. I've got a lot of clover coming up in my backyard and it's really taking over the grass. How can I kill the clover but not the grass?
Old 06-01-2004, 06:36 AM

Default RE: Kinda weird question

Welcome to the club. I have the same problem. This is one of the things about Clover plots, the more you mow it, the thicker it gets.
But in this case, you don't want it. Take a trip to your local Walmart or Coop. There are scads of broadleaf herbicides on the shelf. Read the labels to find one that includes Clover. Some grasse are more tolerant to the herbicide, so mix according to the type of grass you have. My Zoysia is quite tolerant so I can make the spray a little stronger. Clover is tough, especially most lawn clovers. I think what I have is the Dutch White. It may take more than one treatment to really kill it. If you catch your clippings when it has a lot of blooms, you can "seed" a plot with it, it's as tough in a plot as it is in your yard. The darn stuff even likes shade,much better than most 'plot clovers'. 2-4-D is one that seems to work good.

Russ
Old 06-01-2004, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

2-4-D or Atrazine or Remedy or Weed N Feed if you go to Walmart
Old 06-03-2004, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:35 AM

Care for some real help??? Come on guys, you dont recommend atrazine or remedy for clover in a guys yard!!! Jeeze. I cannot believe sometimes the things I read on these posts.

What you have is white dutch clover and there are three labeled ways that work from ok to excellent. First choice if you can find it is a product called Confront. Its awesome on Clover and lawn weeds and has no 2,4-D in it so its non volitile. The second best would be Trimec or a 2,4-D plus trimec blend you can get at Wally world, last and least effective is 2,4-D.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:50 PM

OK, Wooddust,
Let's have the skinny on this "Confront". What is the major chemical, who markets it. and who handles it. Wallyworld never heard of it, Lowes don't carry it (it's not on their list.) The head supervisor at our local Coop has also never heard of it. Is it new?

Russ
Old 06-07-2004, 05:46 AM

Call a supplier who is in the lawn care supply business...its a product that is big in golf courses and professional lawn care outfits. A coop wont normally cary these chemicals because they serve farmers and WalMart wont be carrying it because they dont really ever have much beyond old products like 3.4-D or roundup.. I found it through my local golf course superintendent and he got it from a distibutor.