Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Name change

Old 05-11-2004, 02:24 PM

Default RE: Name change

We can really tell the difference in the woods where our cattle are allowed to graize and the woods where they are excluded. The graized woods are almost cleared of the underbrush layer where as the non-graized forest have an underlayer thich enough to make walking difficult. Baised upon this, I have a hard time in believing that routine graizing in the forest is healthy. (It may be good to graize the forest once every few years or so to create a new growth of the understory plants.) I do think that rotational graizing of non-monoculture pastures increases and regenerate desirable browse species that deer prefer. So what am I missing?
Old 05-11-2004, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Russ otten

The only tree that is a pain is the Sweet Gum, nobody has found a use for them that I know of.

Russ
Russ, come to Warren county NC and I'll show you a Sweet Gum tree farm. Yes they are really growing them on purpose. They are lined up just like a pine planation. The explanation I was given is they are used to make railroad ties. They air dry in 3 months versus 6 months for a oak tie and they last longer than an oak tie.

The last time I saw them was about 25 years ago, so they maybe be cut and under your railroad tracks. [:-]
Old 05-11-2004, 04:50 PM

I was aware that they were used for that purpose, but loggers in our area don't want to fool with them, no buyer locally. They primarily log Oaks and Pines, and some cedar. Also, I'm sure they have to be 10-12" DBH. I'm mostly covered up with lots of saplings and they sprout like crabgrass; everywhere.

Russ
Old 05-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: greg-dude

We can really tell the difference in the woods where our cattle are allowed to graize and the woods where they are excluded. The graized woods are almost cleared of the underbrush layer where as the non-graized forest have an underlayer thich enough to make walking difficult. Baised upon this, I have a hard time in believing that routine graizing in the forest is healthy. (It may be good to graize the forest once every few years or so to create a new growth of the understory plants.) I do think that rotational graizing of non-monoculture pastures increases and regenerate desirable browse species that deer prefer. So what am I missing?
Your not missing anything you hit it right on the head. I said grazing can increase wildlife forage, I didn't say how much or how little. There is no hard and fast rule on that and it's difficult to measure. But rest assured, if you have a large reduction in undergrowth from cattle grazing then your probably overgrazing, which REALLY hurts wildlife a couple of different ways.