Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

ATV affect on management

Old 04-16-2004, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default ATV affect on management

I hunt on approximately 300 acres of my uncle's farm. At least 80 acres is sown with soybeans and the rest is healthy hardwoods. A fairly substantial creek runs from one corner all the way through the property to the other. The point is that the habitat is great for the deer and we see evidence of their presence. But, we don't actually see a lot of them. I hunt with a couple experienced hunters (I've been hunting only 12 or so years) and we know every inch of the property. The property is hilly and has a few trails which are frequented by tresspassers because they are fun to ride on. Will the regular use of the trails by these ATVs keep the deer from moving before it is dark?
Old 04-16-2004, 11:20 AM

Default RE: ATV affect on management

Sounds like your problem might stem from lack of cover more than anythng else? That is just my guess form what you described. TGK
Old 04-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may very well be right. There are a few areas of thick cover but they are not large (few acres maybe). In September during bow season a lot of them bed in the soy beans. Perhaps there is something I can do to create thickets. I'll look into that.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2004, 05:26 PM

What is on the neighboring areas? If you happen to be lke me, I have too much cover around me. 120 acres of 15 yr. old Pines South of me, ful of sage grass that can be 4-5 ft. tall. On the East there is 40 acres of 30 yr. old pines with the same Sage grass. I cut the large Pines in my timber 2 yrs. ago and have a lot of tops, etc but not much undergrowth at the present time. I have 3 Clover plots in the timber and one on the edge of a field (Pasture and hay). The deer don't bed much in my timber but they do pass back & forth to the plots. My land is fenced and posted, so only my ATV and a friend is on the trails. Maybe a couple small plots might help, even an 1/8th acre.

Russ
Old 04-19-2004, 11:51 AM

i wouldnt think that the atvs would bother the deer much if they use the land regulary. i know i ride my quad around my place a lot along with the tractor and it dont seem to bother them. i would look into making some thick areas. with a chainsaw and a couple days you can do a lot. take out the larger trees to open up the canopy and let the sun shine in.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

NCOutdoors; I can't say specifically with deer but turkeys are now using an old road on my property now that it is blocked off to ATVs and 4 wheel drives. In this case the cover is a thin (50-100') strip along the road that just wasn't friendly enough when the road was in use.

Dan O.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my area, the riding we do doesn't have as much effect on the deer as does per say sport quad racing. We use utility quads for work around the farm. In all honesty, we still like ripping around the fields every now and then, riding in the creek, and a few mud holes. For the most part our quads are for work though. I'm sure they effect turkeys more than they do deer though.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 300 acres is unfortunately bordered by a couple small, rural neighborhoods. The ATV trespassing is a problem, though I haven't heard anyone riding in over a year. But I know the kids are there because they've vandilized some of our equipment and they are tearing POSTED signs down. It's infuriating. And when school lets ooout, they'll be down there all day while we're at work. We've contacted the Sheriff's dept but they say the problem is going on everywhere and they can't do anything about it unless we can catch the kids in the act. I'm thinking of setting up a couple stealth cams.

Thanks for the info . . .

Eric
Old 04-22-2004, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

We have a small problem on our lease with ATV riders. I've thought about putting out some trail cams, but they would probably just take those. I think I'll do some reasearch on a video cam. that's triggered like the trail cams. You could put that up in a tree, not so easy to get to.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are probably right about them stealing the cameras. I got very lucky not too long ago when they found a camera in an area which was, admittedly, at stupid place for me to put one. They ripped the film and batteries out but otherwise caused no damage.

I'd love to catch these kids and take a photo to their parents and the sheriff.

Quick Reply: ATV affect on management

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.