Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Mineral Licks

Old 04-02-2004, 01:05 PM

Default Mineral Licks

I have been hearing about mineral licks and would like to get one but i did not know if it is something youbuy or something you make and if it is something you make how do you. Thanks for any help
Old 04-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mineral Licks

probably your cheapest way would be to go to the walmart or home depot and buy a 40lb. bag of salt they sell for water conditioning. should be around 4$.its sometimes called solar salt. dont worry about all the fancy name brand stuff they sell for deer. from what ive read, seen, and talked to people who raise deer they use the licks mostly in the spring and through the summer. the doe-s need it to help with milk production, pest control and shedding coats. the bucks need it for mostly the same but also to help grow those horns. just find an area near your hunting spot near some water if at all possible and throw it on some bare soil. you may have to clear away leaves and debris in like a 5 foot circle. throw out a bag now and refresh it one more time in the summer. my experience is that in september the deer dont use the licks as often. i honestly dont think it will make for monster horns because the genetics have to be there but if it helps the over all health of the local deer hear i think as hunters its the least we could do and its fun to put those trail cameras on them in august. NOW GET TO WORK!
Old 04-02-2004, 05:15 PM

Check to see if that salt is Sodium Chloride, not Calcium. Also, you can get Salt and even mineral salt, which is even better, at your local Coop or feed store. The price will still be reasonable, about 5 bucks. The sooner you g et it started, the better. With everything greening up, the deer crave salt. And indeed they will taper off as plants start getting tougher and drier. If you put your lick near a food plot, it will also help bring the deer to tha area. There have been some posts that have detailed mixes for salt licks. But the main thing, at least get some salt out there.

Russ
Old 04-03-2004, 07:56 AM

I know it costs more but I've been using DiCalcium Phosphate for the last five years.
I loosen the ground up with shovel (next to a small pond we have) and mix in a 50 pound bag. The deer have tore it up making a very large hole in the ground.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the post , reminds me that I need to get some salt out there. I just use the salt calcium blocks and the mineral blocks from the co op.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

although i use the red mineral blocks from the feed store i prefer the bags of salt because idiots steal the blocks sometimes. i never have to dig up the ground because the deer do a good job of that after a while. my one lick that is 3 years old looks like a watering hole now. you can also put the mineral bricks in a burlap wrap and tie it of on a tree branch to make it last longer. it will only leech salt when it rains. i dont usually do this because i like replenishing my licks and checking on the deer sign. i also like to use a military type duffle bag or back pack with the arm straps to get my salt out to those far away locations.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:56 AM

A few guys here take that water softner salt and place it in a burlap sac. Then tie the sac behind their quads and drag it over an area of dirt for 20 minutes or so. I personally have not tried this but some guys swear by it.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

I thought to much salt was bad for deer. I've been told no more than 15% salt in your mineral is good.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:47 PM

I don't think that a deer will consume too much salt. And besides, how do you ration it out? Is a lick visited by 3 or 50 deer? Just make sure that you get some out, the deer know when to quit.

Russ
Old 04-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

next we will get blamed for the deer getting high blood pressure from too much salt

Quick Reply: Mineral Licks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.