Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

My land is worthless, any ideas?

Old 03-24-2004, 08:12 AM
Spike

Default My land is worthless, any ideas?

I own a very small parcel of land (6 acres) that is surrounded by forest. I have mixed forest on my property. The soil on my land is pretty much worthless (pure sand) so a food plot is not really an option without MUCH money. Two years ago, I had a bunch of very mature white pine taken from an area creating a small clearing. There are a few deer that hang out on my land at times and I realize I cant KEEP them there to live, but I'd like to do as much as I can to make it as attractive as possible to them. Does anyone have any suggestions for my situation? I realize I dont match up to those of you with hundreds of acres to work with, Id just like to be able to do SOMETHING!

Thanks
Old 03-24-2004, 08:28 AM

Default RE: My land is worthless, any ideas?

Mulch, mulch, manure, leaves clippings, any kind of clippings. Keep tilling it in. Then plant some grasses. Keep it mowed for more mulch. I have a 1/4 acre spot with rocks, clay and sand. used horse manure, ( we have horses on the farm). My advantage, I have a 5 foot tiller for my tractor. The plot is now showing some top soil. with liming and fertilizer, it's now growing clover. It takes time and labor but you can build it up. I'm still putting manure and wood ashes on the plot every chance I get (or remember).

Russ
Old 03-24-2004, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

Russ, I noticed you mentioned wood ashes. What are they good for around the house or yard? I always thought they should have a good use, but never heard of any.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:49 AM

I have simular soils to you in South Arkansas where I hunt.....I did a bunch of homework since last year....I am trying Tecomate's Lab Lab plus and some Buckwheat.....
Old 03-24-2004, 04:31 PM

I have one plot in Fla. that is total sand.I disk it and plant rye,and fertizler it and it did prety good for the deer. I just sent off a soil sample to see what I need for this year.
So sandy soil isn't worthless.just put some good fertizler on it and it will grow something.(rye) at least. the soil sample is the main thing.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:14 PM

A breakdown of wood ash:

WOOD ASHES, WHAT'S IN IT? PER 100 LBS. DRY,FRESH ASHES
CHEMICAL amount
calcium oxide 20-80 lbs.
Potassium oxide 10-30 lbs
Magnesium oxide 5-10 lbs
Phosphorus pentoxide 2-8 lbs

Micronutents (trace amts.)
copper
zinc
manganese
irom
sodium
boron

Wood ashes contain Calcium Carbonate, a form of lime, and will help PH.
One ton of dry wood will produce 4 to 20 pounds of ash (0.2-1.0 percent, depending on wood type
Approx. 50lbs ash per cord of wood.

(Just copy and paste in Word and you have a handy reference.)
Remember, wood ash is very light, it takes a large amount to weigh 100lbs. But if you have to dispose of them, put them to use.

Russ
Old 03-24-2004, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

No land is worthless. If you had mature white pines removed, you likely have many young ones coming on strong, due to increased light levels. The 6 acres could become a "magnet bedding area" for the relatively open surrounding forest. You might want to try managing the property as a thick bedding area - That would be my fist thoughts.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oaks (red and white) like sandy soil (south west facing slopes). So does alfalfa. You might try tilling up an area and planting winter rye or oats. Let it mature and then winter kill. In the spring it will add "mulch" to your existing soil while providing some habitat in the mean time. Get a soil test done. UVM does them for $9. Lime is very cheap. The Shelburne Lime Company will spread lime for $27.75 a ton. Also, you can get fertilizer at Agway for $10 a 50lb bag once you get you soil test results back.

. . . Rob
Old 03-27-2004, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like Rob said; oaks should be OK. Chestnut trees also like sandy soil or you may want to test Balsam Fir. They supply cover and winter forage.

Dan O.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you got any dampness at all ? I have some areas in a Sandy/Clay and broad cast Clover on it, the darn stuff never stopped growing, I cut the area with the more and have times The darn more won't go threw it. The deer seem to use it often, as I see them in the morningd standing on the lawn eating. Just a thought...BT

Quick Reply: My land is worthless, any ideas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.